2016 Buick Regal Overview
The 2016 Buick Regal may seem quiet and sophisticated in many ways (because it very much is), but that shouldn’t fool you for one second. The Regal is a surprisingly spirited performer, thanks in large part to a standard 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, an available Haldex all-wheel-drive system, and the GS model’s Interactive Drive Control System. The Buick Regal may be an entry-level sport sedan, but when one looks at it from a performance perspective, it feels considerably more animalistic.
Looking for the 2015 Buick Regal? Check out specs, trims, and features for the 2015 Regal
What’s New for the 2016 Buick Regal?
For the most part, the 2016 Regal is unchanged from the previous model year. The biggest addition is the announcement of a new Sport Touring trim, which will be released in the fall of 2015 and includes a standard rear-vision camera system, heated front seats, and leather-trimmed front and rear seats. The Sport Touring is aesthetically set apart from the pack with 18-inch wheels with machined faces and black “pockets” and a rear spoiler.
The 2016 Buick Regal is pretty much exactly what you’d expect from a contemporary sedan, featuring a wide stance, chrome accents, and a well-balanced mix of refinement and aggression. The Encore is offered with sweptback headlamps and the signature waterfall grille; the GS comes with more distinctive front and rear fascias, as well as 19-inch wheels and a lowered stance; and the new Sport Touring model gets exclusive 18-inch wheels and a rear spoiler.
The 2016 Regal is available in ten colors: Dark Sapphire Blue Metallic, Quicksilver Metallic, Summit White, Ebony Twilight Metallic, Crimson Red Tintcoat, White Frost Metallic, Smoky Gray Metallic, Sparkling Silver Metallic, Dark Forest Green Metallic, and Black Onyx.
Exterior available on Regal 1SV:
- 20-inch seven-spoke Ultra-Bright aluminum wheels, LED headlamps, vertical LED taillamps, Optional Performance Package, Heated Mirrors
Exterior available on Regal (additions/replacements to 1SV):
- Dual-outlet stainless-steel exhaust with bright tips, Available power moonroof
Exterior available on Regal Premium II (additions/replacement to Regal):
- HID headlamps, Bi-Xenon with LED signature lighting, HiPer Strut Front Suspension
Exterior available on Regal GS (additions/replacements to Regal Premium II):
- Dual-outlet stainless-steel exhaust integrated into fascia, GS-specific front and rear appearance features, Body-colored lower rocker moldings, Rear lip spoiler
Exterior available on Regal Sport Touring (additions/replacements to Regal):
- 18-inch aluminum black pocket wheels, rear lip spoiler
2016 Buick Regal Performance
The 2016 Regal is offered with three different powertrains–the 2.4-liter DOHC four-cylinder (standard on 1SV), the 2.0-liter turbo DOHC VVT engine, and the 2.4-liter DOHC four-cylinder with eAssist light electrification technology. The 2.4-liter DOHC four-cylinder produces 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque with or without eAssist, and the 2.0-liter engine produces 259 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. Buick offers the Regal with four transmission options: the Hydra-Matic 6T40 automatic (standard with eAssist), Hydra-Matic 6T45 automatic (standard with 2.4-liter engine), Hyrdra-Matic 6T70 automatic (with 2.0-liter turbo), and six-speed manual (optional for Regal GS with FWD).
2016 Buick Regal Efficiency
2016 Buick Regal fuel efficiency is dependent on the vehicle’s engine, transmission, and drive system. The 2.4-liter engine is only available with FWD, and it returns 25 mpg city/36 mpg highway with eAssist and 19 mpg city/31 mpg highway without. The 2.0-liter turbo returns 21 mpg city/30 mpg highway for FWD automatic models (including GS), and 19 mpg city/27 mpg highway for AWD automatic models. The Regal GS with FWD and manual transmission returns 20 mpg city/31 mpg highway.
2016 Buick Regal Interior
The 2016 Buick Regal’s interior flows into a center stack that holds a chrome-ringed, 8-inch color touchscreen through which the driver/front passenger can utilize Buick IntelliLink. Standard features include rear-vision camera system, heated front seats, leather-trimmed front and rear seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and dual-zone climate control. The interior is available in four color and trim combinations, all of which include Soleil Keisel leather seating: Light Neutral seating with Cocoa accents and Rhythm wood décor, Ebony with Echelon Warm décor, Saddle with Ebony accents, and GS-exclusive Ebony featuring contrast stitching and Diamo Black décor
Interior available on Regal 1SV:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control, Cargo net, Compass display, Custom interior lighting, Carpeted floor mats, Heated driver and passenger seats, Available leather appointed seats, 4.2-inch multi-color display, Bluetooth wireless technology, Buick IntelliLink, OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi, Rear vision camera, Premium seven speaker audio
Interior available on Regal (additions/replacements to 1SV):
- Available Buick IntelliLink audio and navigation, Optional illuminated footwells
Interior available on Regal Premium II (additions/replacement to Regal):
- Two-way power lumbar front passenger seat, Eight-way power front passenger seat, 120-volt power outlet, Heated steering wheel, Two-way power lumbar front passenger seat, Eight-way power front passenger seat, 120-volt power outlet, Heated steering wheel
Interior available on Regal GS (additions/replacements to Regal Premium II):
- Sport bucket seats, Sport pedals, Leather-wrapped three-spoke Sport steering wheel, Parking Assist front and rear, Eight-inch enhanced multi-color display
2016 Buick Regal Safety
The 2016 Buick Regal returns the same suite of safety features that earned the 2015 model a 5-star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and high marks from IIHS.
Standard Safety Features:
- Air bag system
- LATCH system
- OnStar Basic plan for five years
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Trunk safety latch
Hot Vehicle, Hotspot: See what makes OnStar 4G LTE a must-have feature