2016 Chevrolet Equinox Overview
The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox is a small crossover SUV with a starting MSRP of $22,600. Featuring copious amounts of leg room, as well as coming available with a powerful V6 engine, it’s not much of a surprise the new Equinox is one of the most popular crossover options available on the market. The Chevy Equinox competes in the same segment as the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, and Kia Sorento.
The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox is available in four trim levels: L, LS, LT, and LTZ. The Chevrolet Equinox L comes standard with front-wheel drive; the LS, LT, and LTZ trims are also available with all-wheel drive.
2016 GMC Canyon: Check out why the diesel engine option offers superior efficiency
What’s new for the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox?
The 2016 Chevy Equinox features a restyled front fascia, which includes a new grille design, LED daytime running lights, and projector-beam headlights. The new Equinox also now comes standard with a rearview camera, premium cloth seats, and a 7-inch infotainment system.
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Photos:
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Exterior
Besides featuring a newly designed front fascia, the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox also comes with updated rear taillights and 17-inch alloy wheels. The crossover’s elegant and smooth curves give the vehicle a smallish look, despite the fact that the new Equinox is actually longer than its rival, the Kia Sorento. Exterior color options include Silver Ice Metallic, Summit White, Black, Patriot Blue Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic, Tungsten Metallic, Blue Velvet Metallic, Mosaic Black Metallic, Siren Red Tintcoat, and Iridescent Pearl Tricoat.
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox L
- Body-color bumpers with charcoal lowers, Power-adjustable side mirrors with integrated blind spot mirrors, Compact spare tire with steel wheel, 17-inch aluminum wheels, Front variable-speed intermittent wipers with washer
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LS
- Sports the same exterior features as the L trim.
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT
- Adds to or replaces features on LS: Deep-tinted glass, Daytime running lamps, Heated power-adjustable side mirrors, Luggage rack side rails
Exterior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ
- Adds to or replaces features on LT: LTZ exterior appearance, Front halogen fog lamps, Bright chrome side mirrors, 18-inch aluminum wheels
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Performance
There are two engine options available for the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox:
- The base engine is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder good for 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque.
- The other engine option is the 3.6-liter V6, which is only available for the LT and LTZ models and it pumps out 301 horsepower and 272 lb-ft of torque.
Both engines come matched with a six-speed automatic transmission.
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox is dependent on the buyer’s choice on engines, as well as the decision between standard front-wheel drive and available all-wheel drive:
- The FWD Equinox with the four-cylinder engine yields 22 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.
- The AWD Equinox with the four-cylinder engine yields 20 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway.
- The FWD Equinox with the V6 engine yields 17 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway.
- The AWD Equinox with the V6 engine yields 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway.
The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox comes standard with an 18.8 gallon fuel tank.
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Interior
The interior of the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox offers one of the quietest and most spacious rides available in its segment. The interior of the new Equinox features upgraded cloth upholstery over last year’s model, as well a new 7-inch infotainment system. Also standard is Chevrolet’s OnStar service featuring 4G connectivity and Wi-Fi, Bluetooth capability, USB ports, a rearview camera, and standard air conditioning. The only downside to providing so much leg room is the fact the Equinox provides less cargo space than competitors like the Honda CR-V. The Equinox offers 63.7 cubic feet of maximum storage space, while the CR-V offers more than 70 cubic feet of cargo capacity.
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox L
- Power windows with express-down on all four doors, Manual climate control, Premium cloth seats, Power lumbar and power height adjuster on driver’s seat, Comfort grip steering wheel, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Front center console, Rear center armrest, Electronic cruise control
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LS
- Contains the same interior features as the L trim.
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT
- Contains the same interior features as the LS trim.
Interior available on the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ
- Adds to or replaces features on LT: Automatic climate control, Self-dimming rearview mirror, Perforated leather-appointed heated seats, Memory settings for driver’s seat and exterior mirrors, 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Rear cargo cover, Rear cargo net
2016 Chevrolet Equinox Safety
The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox earned a four-star overall safety rating—out of a possible five—from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The 2016 Equinox earned five stars in side protection tests, but only managed four stars in frontal crash protection tests performed by the NHTSA. The Equinox is available with advanced safety technologies such as Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Rear Park Assist, Forward Collision Alert, and Lane Departure Warning.
Standard Safety Features
- Six airbags, including frontal airbags, side-impact airbags, and head curtain airbags
- Hill-Start Assist
- Rear child security door locks
- LATCH system
- OnStar Basic Plan for five years
- Three-point seatbelts in all seating positions
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system
- Traction control
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System