2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Overview
The 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD is a heavy-duty pickup truck with a starting MSRP of $35,830. The GMC Sierra 3500HD offers two powerful engine options, as well as a variety of advanced safety features.
What’s new for the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD?
For the 2016 model year, the GMC Sierra 3500HD gets several new colors and a neat list of new equipment.
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Photos:
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Exterior
The 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD remains largely the same with few exterior changes other than color. For the latest model year, the Sierra 3500HD loses four color options – Fire Red, Emerald Green Metallic, Bronze Alloy Metallic, and Sonoma Red Metallic – and gains three new colors. The new colors include Crimson Red Tintcoat (Double Cab models), Deep Garnet Metallic (Crew Cab models), and Cardinal Red (all models). New equipment includes a remote locking tailgate.
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Sierra
- Rear chrome bumper, Cargo box tie-downs, CornerStep rear bumper, Cab-mounted lamps, Front chrome bumper, Black door handles, Chrome grille surround, HID headlamps, Manual trailer-style mirrors, 18-inch wheels, Front recovery hooks
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLE
- Adds to or replaces features on Sierra: Cargo box LED lighting, Remote locking tailgate, EZ-Lift and Lower tailgate, Body-color door handles, Deep-tinted glass, Body-colored bodyside moldings, Power-adjustable heated mirrors with embedded turn signal
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE: Chrome door handles, Body-color body side moldings with chrome accents, Fog lamps, Power-adjustable heated mirrors with a chrome cap
Exterior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on SLT: Available Body Color Molded Splash Guards, Spray-on bedliner, Body-color front bumper, Body-color CornerStep rear bumper, Power-retractable assist steps, Remote locking tailgate, Chrome body side moldings, 18-inch chrome aluminum wheels
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Performance
The heavy duty pickup comes with two engine options for the 2016 model year. The base 6.0-liter V8 puts out 360 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque. Stepping up to the plate is a 6.6-liter Duramax turbo-diesel V8 capable of 397 hp and a whopping 765 lb-ft of torque. Towing capacity tops out at 23,200 lbs. Maximum payload is rated at 6,111 pounds.
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Efficiency
The 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD comes standard with a 36 gallon fuel tank.
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Interior
The 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD is largely unchanged on the interior with the exception of some small touch-ups. Equipment-wise, the Sierra 3500HD adds wireless charging, an HD radio, and IntelliLink radio audio system with 7-inch color touchscreen. Overall, the interior maximizes space while remaining durable to dust and dirt.
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Sierra
- Single-zone manual air conditioning, Front assist handles, Power door locks, Manual Tilt-Wheel steering column, Power windows, Cloth seat trim, 4.2-inch touchscreen, USB port, Auxiliary jack, AM/FM stereo, Cruise control
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLE
- Adds to or replaces features on Sierra: Steering wheel with audio controls, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Illuminated visor vanity mirrors, Rear 60/40-split folding bench seat, Bluetooth® for phone, Remote Keyless Entry, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, HD audio system, AM/FM Radio, 8-inch Color Touch touchscreen, OnStar 4G LTE with built-in WiFi hotspot, Single-slot CD/MP3 player, Rear Vision Camera
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE: Dual-zone automatic climate control air conditioning, Rear-window defogger, Power-adjustable pedals, 110-volt AC power outlet, Remote vehicle starter system, Heated front seating, Front 40/20/40 leather-appointed split-bench seat, Available Front and Rear Park Assist; Available Lane Departure Warning; Available Forward Collision Alert
Interior available on the 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on SLT: Heated steering wheel, Carpeted front and rear floor mats, Wireless charging, Leather-appointed front seats, Rear 60/40-split folding bench seat, Heated seats, Front full-feature leather-appointed bucket seats, Bose® Sound System, Driver Information Center, Available Rear Seat Entertainment Package, Theft-deterrent system, Front and Rear Park Assist
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Safety
New for 2016 is a power steering system with active hydraulic assist and recirculating ball. The Sierra 3500HD includes available safety technologies such as lane departure warning, forward collision alert, and safety alert seat. The 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD also includes OnStar’s basic safety plan of five years from the vehicle’s delivery date. Services include automatic crash response, vehicle diagnostics, and roadside assistance.
Standard Safety Features
- Available Rear Vision Camera
- Driver and right-front passenger single stage frontal air bags
- Thorax side-impact air bags
- Curtain side-impact air bags
- Front and rear outboard seating air bags
- Daytime running lights
Did You Know? A GMC subcompact crossover could join the brand’s lineup