2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Overview
Safety, performance, trim, efficiency, and design information on the Genesis Coupe's 2016 model year
If you like the practicality of Hyundai’s models but think they’re a bit boring for your taste, the 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe might be what you want. More than just a two-door version of the brand’s luxury sedan, the Genesis Coupe is a sporty, high-performance vehicle with an identity of its own.
The Style of Hyundai: What the Vision G concept says about the brand
What’s New for the 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe?
The 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe receives a new six-inch color display in the center stack in place of the previous dot-matrix display. Otherwise, everything stays basically the same.
The 2016 model comes in three offered trims: 3.8, 3.8 R-Spec, and 3.8 Ultimate.
2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Exterior
Despite the Korean badge, the 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe boasts an exterior that could easily be mistaken for a European sports car. The bold, almost angry-looking grille is the first thing that will catch your eye, which will then glide over the Coupe’s smooth curves, aggressive side skirts, and hyper-aggressive headlights.
Exterior available on the 3.8 Trim
- Dual fold-away heated power bodycolor side mirrors, Side mirrors with turn-signal indicators, Chrome-tipped dual exhaust, Solar control glass, Variable intermittent windshield wipers/washer, Projector headlights, Automatic headlights, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), LED tail lights, Front fog lights, Proximity Key entry with push button start
Exterior available on the 3.8 R-Spec
- Brembo®braking system
Exterior available on the 3.8 Ultimate
- HID Xenon headlights with auto leveling, Aero wiper blades, Bodycolor rear spoiler
2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Performance
The 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe is powered by a single engine–a mighty 3.8-liter V6 with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) and Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT) that produces 344 horsepower and 292 lb-ft of torque. These figures get a minor bump up to 348 and 295, respectively, when using premium fuel. Transmission is a choice between a six-speed manual and an eight-speed automatic with paddle shifters, which will match your revs when downshifting.
2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Efficiency
The 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe has been rated by the EPA at 17/24/19 mpg city/highway/combined with the six-speed manual and 16/25/19 mpg city/highway/combined with the eight-speed automatic.
Needless to say, your choice of transmission shouldn’t be influenced by fuel economy but rather by the amount of enjoyment you think you’ll get out of it.
2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Interior
2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe plans to jostle you around a bit, which is why it comes equipped with well-bolstered, supportive seats that’ll keep you in place when you open up the throttle. It features fancy electro-luminescent gauges that display torque, fuel consumption, and oil temperature to really give you that street racer feel.
But it’s not just a sports car. The dash is handsome and the advanced tech makes for pleasant drives, even when you’re not using the V6 to its maximum capacity.
Interior available on 3.8
- Features: Air conditioning, Automatic temperature control, Outside temperature display, Power windows with driver’s auto-down/up with pinch protection, Power door locks, Cloth seating surfaces, Leather bolster/cloth insert seats, Driver and passenger side walk-in assist, Dual illuminated vanity mirrors, Driver’s visor extension, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, Steering-wheel-mounted audio/Bluetooth®/cruise controls, Electroluminescent Gauge Cluster with information display screen, Multi-gauge cluster
- Radio and Technology: Bluetooth®hands-free phone system, Smartphone/USB and auxiliary input jacks, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass, 6-inch color display audio system, 170-watt AM/FM/SiriusXM/MP3/CD audio system with 6 speakers, Complimentary SiriusXM activation and 3-month trial subscription
Interior available on 3.8 R-Spec
- Features: Sport seat bolsters
- Radio and Technology: Same as 3.8
Interior available on 3.8 Ultimate
- Features: Power tilt-and-slide sunroof, Power driver seat slide with height adjustment and lumbar support, Leather seating surfaces, Two-stage heated front seats, Illuminated door sill plates, Aluminum foot pedals
- Radio and Technology: Blue Link®Telematics System, 360-watt Infinity® premium AM/FM/SiriusXM/HD/MP3/CD audio system with 10 speakers, Navigation system with 7-inch touchscreen and NavTraffic
2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Safety
The 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe comes standard with anti-lock disc brakes, dual front airbags, front-seat side airbags, active front head restraints, full-length side curtain airbags, traction control, and stability control. Opting for the available Blue Link telematics system adds roadside assistance, crash response, remote access, and monitoring features that parents with teenage drivers will find useful.
Standard Safety Features
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Hillstart Assist Control (HAC) (manual only)
- Advanced dual front airbags (SRS)
- Driver and front passenger side-impact airbags (SRS)
- Side-curtain airbags (SRS)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Front seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters
- Rear LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Active front head restraints
- Power window lock-out button
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Remote keyless entry system with alarm
- Rear Parking Assist System (3.8 Ultimate only)
Research Hyundai Models: Info on the 2016 Elantra GT