2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Overview
Hyundai’s non-sedan segment of its lineup may be limited but what it does offer will appeal to a broad range of consumers. The Santa Fe is a prime example, and the 2016 model further enhances its appeal to families and active individuals. With a varying seating arrangement–fitting either five or seven passengers–and an ample amount of storage space, this Korean-designed, locally-built vehicle is ready for 2016.
The 2016 Santa Fe comes in either the SE (18-inch wheels) or Limited (19-inch wheels) trims and front- or all-wheel drive versions. The Santa Fe is a well-balanced, versatile SUV for seven people–but if you’re looking for something edgier and only need five-passenger seating, consider checking out the Santa Fe Sport.
What’s New for the 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe?
The price of the 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe remains close to last year’s cost ($30,400 starting MSRP, a $250 increase), but moderate design changes have been made. The headlights, grille, and bumpers receive an improvement, and the interior receives a modest, practical refresh–both in design and materials.
The new grille on the Hyundai Santa Fe drastically changes the front fascia and the hood slope. The new look blends into the overall design with ease, including the updated headlights (getting the LED treatment) resembling wings on the diamond grille. The contours are emphasized to improve aerodynamics. Wheel arches have also been kicked up a notch to accommodate optional 19-inch wheels. You can get the 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe in Monaco White, Night Sky Pearl, Circuit Silver, Becketts Black, Regal Red Pearl, Iron Frost, or Java Espresso.
Exterior features available on Hyundai Santa Fe SE Premium Package:
- Roof side rails, Bodycolor dual power manual-folding side mirrors, Heated side mirrors, Bodycolor rear spoiler with LED Center High-Mount Stop Light, Rear window wiper/washer, Windshield wiper de-icer, Chrome accent grille and door handles, Chrome-tipped dual exhaust, Front solar glass and rear privacy glass, Projector headlights with LED accents, Automatic headlight control, Daytime Running Lights, Front fog lights
Ultimate Package SE Upgrade Adds:
- Panoramic sunroof, Rear Parking Sensors, Integrated Memory System (IMS) for driver seat and side mirrors, Premium door sill plates, Ultimate liftgate badge
Exterior features available on Santa Fe Limited Ultimate Package (above options plus):
- Side mirror turn-signal indicators, Proximity Key entry with push button start, Hands-free Smart Liftgate with auto open
2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Performance
The 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe is propelled by a gasoline-powered 3.3-liter Lamba II V6 that reaches 290 horsepower and 252 lb-ft torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC® and Active ECO. Towing capacity for both the SE and Limited trims is 5,000 hefty pounds. The 0-to-60 acceleration time hovers around 7 seconds.
Whether you choose the SE or the Limited trim, your front-wheel-drive fuel efficiency rating for city driving will be a modest 18 mpg, highway driving at 25 mpg, and a combined rate of 21 mpg. All-wheel-drive slightly lowers the highway rate to 24 mpg and combined rate to 20 mpg.
However, the combined SE/Limited Ultimate Package changes the mileage rating to 17 mpg city/23 mpg highway/20 combined (front wheel drive) or 17 mpg city/22 mpg highway/19 combined (all wheel drive).
2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Interior
For the 2016 model year, Hyundai listened to many of the criticisms previous Santa Fe iterations have received and made smart updates to the interior, including better knob placement, adjustable power steering column, and various memory functions.
The Santa Fe seats six comfortably but you can squeeze in a seventh person in the back row if needed.
Interior features available on Hyundai Santa Fe SE Premium Package:
- Air conditioning, 2nd-row air conditioning vents, 3rd-row climate control and vents, Power windows with driver and passenger auto-down/up, Power door locks, 8-way power driver seat with 4-way power lumbar support, Heated front seats, YES Essentials stain-resistant cloth seating surfaces, 7-passenger seating, Reclining 40/20/40 split-folding 2nd-row bench seat, Sliding and reclining 2nd-row seats with cargo-area releases, 50/50 split-folding 3rd-row bench seat, Seatback pockets, 12-volt power outlet, 115-volt power outlet, Cupholders, Center armrest with storage compartment, Sunvisors with illuminated vanity mirrors and extensions, Steering-wheel-mounted controls (audio, cruise, and phone), Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, Driver Selectable Steering Mode
Ultimate Package SE Adds:
- Navigation system with 8-inch touchscreen, Heated steering wheel, Dimension®premium audio system, Ventilated front seats, Heated rear seats ,115-volt power outlet
Interior features available on Santa Fe Limited Ultimate Package (above options plus):
- Dual front automatic temperature control with CleanAir Ionizer, 4-way power front passenger seat, Leather seating surfaces, 6-passenger seating with 2nd row captain’s chairs ,Manual rear side window sunshades, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass, Electroluminescent Gauge Cluster with color LCD Multi-Functional Display
2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Safety
The Santa Fe remains a trusted transporter to keep you and your family secure on the road. Although safety ratings for this year have yet to be released, last year’s 2015 model received marks of 8.5/10 from JD Power and “Good” ratings from the IIHS in all but one category.
Standard Safety Features:
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Vehicle Stability Management system
- 4-wheel, 4-channel Anti-lock Braking System with Electronic Brake-force Distribution and Brake Assist
- Downhill Brake Control
- Hillstart Assist Control
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Front seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters
- 2nd-row LATCH
- Power window lock-out
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Driver and front passenger advanced airbags
- Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Roof-mounted side-curtain airbags with rollover sensors
- Remote keyless entry system with alarm
- Rearview Camera