2016 Jeep Compass Overview
Though it is small, the 2016 Jeep Compass is certainly mighty. This compact crossover SUV offers consumers the rugged off-road capabilities Jeep is known for, all wrapped up in a pretty, sophisticated bow. The 2016 Compass is sure to leave a lasting impression with available features like its standard Uconnect Voice Command with Bluetooth® and available leather seating. Add sweet perks like the fold-down speakers in the rear liftgate, and you have one compact crossover you won’t want to leave behind.
More Celebrity Rides: Discover which 5 celebrities surprisingly drive Jeep Wranglers
What’s New for the 2016 Jeep Compass
Jeep has dropped the Compass’s range-topping Limited trim level, and gave the Sport trim standard Bluetooth and satellite radio. The Sport SE appearance package is also replacing the Altitude package from last year, while the Latitude trim level gets standard automatic headlights.
The 2016 Jeep Compass is available in three trim levels: Sport, Latitude, and High Altitude. All three trim levels come standard in FWD with an option to upgrade to 4X4.
2016 Jeep Compass Photos:
2016 Jeep Compass Exterior
If you think the 2016 Jeep Compass looks like a baby Grand Cherokee, you wouldn’t be too far off. The Compass shares a lot of its styling cues with its popular sibling, offering consumers the ruggedness of the Grand Cherokee with a much smaller footprint. Jeep’s signature grille sets the 2016 Compass apart from the rest of the compact crossover segment, while the body-color accents and standard 16-inch aluminum wheels gives you a mere glimpse of its off-road capabilities.
2016 Jeep Compass Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the Sport:
- Acoustic Windshield, Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers, 16-Inch x 6.5-Inch Aluminum Wheels, Compact Spare Tire, P205 / 70R16 BSW All Season Tires, Halogen Headlamps, Premium Fog Lamps, Black Headlamp Bezels, Body-Color Fascia, Body-Color with Chrome Accent Grille, Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass, Fixed Long Mast Antenna, Liftgate Door With Fixed Glass, Lower Body Side Accent Cladding, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper/Washer, Solar Control Glass
Exterior available on the Latitude:
- Tip Start, Body-Color Door Handles, Body-Color Exterior Mirrors, Body-Color Liftgate Applique, Bright Grille, Power Heated Mirrors with Manual Fold-Away
Exterior available on the High Altitude:
- P215 / 60R17 BSW All Season Touring Tires, Optional 18-Inch x 7.0-Inch Aluminum Painted Pocket Wheels, Bright Exhaust Tip, Bright Side Roof Rails
2016 Jeep Compass Performance
The 2016 Jeep Compass has two engine options, depending on the drivetrain you choose. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is standard with front-wheel drive, generating 158 horsepower and 141 lb-ft of torque. This engine option comes standard with a five-speed manual transmission for the Sport trim level, while the Latitude trim level comes with a CVT.
If consumers choose for an all-wheel-drive model, a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is standard. This engine puts out 172 hp and 165 lb-ft of torque, once again coming standard with a five-speed manual transmission on the Sport and six-speed automatic on everything else.
2016 Jeep Compass Efficiency
The 2.0-liter five-speed manual Compass has an EPA-estimated fuel efficiency of 26 mpg combined. For the CVT model, the numbers drop a bit to 24 mpg combined.
When equipped with the manual transmission and front-wheel drive, the 2.4-liter engine has an EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 25 mpg. The six-speed automatic takes the 2.4-liter engine’s rating down to 23 mpg. With all-wheel drive, the 2.4-liter gets 24 mpg combined with the manual, while the automatic transmission lowers the fuel economy to 21 mpg combined.
2016 Jeep Compass Interior
For the 2016 model year, Jeep has given the Compass’s rugged interior a touch of class. Comfortable front seats, plenty of rear legroom, and the available 6.5-inch touchscreen all make the Compass a comfortable ride. If you plan on taking your Compass to an outdoor get-together, you’re in luck—this crossover even has optional speakers that flip down and out from a raised liftgate, giving you the opportunity to play some tunes through your car in case you forget your stereo. It even has a maximum cargo capacity of 53.6 cubic-feet, making it a great vehicle for everyday use.
2016 Jeep Compass Interior Photos:
Interior available on the Sport:
- Height-Adjustable Front Shoulder Belts, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, Rear 60/40 Folding Seat, Rear Seat Heat Ducts, 12-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet, Air Conditioning, Air Filtering, Bright Interior Accents, Flat Load Floor Storage, Full-Length Floor Console, Illuminated Cup Holders, Instrument Cluster With Tachometer, Luxury Front and Rear Floor Mats, Map / Dome Reading Lamps, Outside Temperature Display in Odometer, Passenger Assist Handles, Power Accessory Delay, Sliding Armrest, Sliding Sun Visors with Mirrors, Tilt Steering Column, Front Dome Lamp
- 1-Year SiriusXM Radio Service, Four Speakers, Audio Jack, Radio 130, Remote USB Port, Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth®
Interior available on the Latitude:
- Cloth / Vinyl Low-Back Bucket Seats, Driver Seat Height Adjuster, Heated Front Seats, Rear 60 / 40 Split Fold and Recline Seat, 115-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet, Silver Interior Accents, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel, Power Windows with Driver’s One-Touch-Down Feature, Speed Sensitive Power Door Locks, Illuminated Entry
- Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
Interior available on the High Altitude:
- Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats, Manual Driver Lumbar Adjust, Power 6-Way Driver Seat, Power Express Open / Close Sunroof
2016 Jeep Compass Safety
Government crash testing awarded the Jeep Compass three stars out of a possible five for frontal impact crash safety. In a braking test, the all-wheel-drive Compass showcased its superior braking by coming to a stop from 60 miles per hour in 121 feet. This is significantly better than average for its class.
A full list of standard safety features can be found below.
- Anti-Lock Front Disc / Rear Drum Brakes
- Brake Assist
- Tire Pressure Monitor with Warning Lamp
- Active Head Restraints
- Advanced Multistage Front Airbags
- Electronic Roll Mitigation
- Electronic Stability Control
- Sentry Key® Theft Deterrent System
- Speed Control
- Supplemental Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
- Supplemental Side-Curtain Front Airbags
Celebrity Rides: Check out the 5 coolest cars from Justin Bieber’s Instagram
- Caitlin MoranEditor
A born-and-raised Jersey girl, Caitlin Moran has somehow found herself settled in Edinburgh, Scotland. When she’s not spending her days trying to remember which side of the road to drive on, Caitlin enjoys getting down and nerdy with English. She continues to combine her love of writing with her love of cars for The News Wheel, while also learning more about the European car market—including the fact that the Seat brand is pronounced “se-at” not “seat” as you might think. See more articles by Caitlin.