2016 Jeep Renegade Overview
Though the Jeep Renegade is only in its second year of being on the market, the compact crossover has outdone itself in its class. The 2015 Jeep Renegade offered best-in-class 4×4 capabilities—and I don’t see how the 2016 model will offer anything different. With a unique style, unprecedented off-road capabilities, and an award-winning interior, the 2016 Jeep Renegade is the must-have crossover of the year.
Want the Best Interior? See why the Jeep Renegade won Ward’s 2015 10 Best Interiors Award
What’s New for the 2016 Jeep Renegade
There are a few minor changes for the 2016 Jeep Renegade. This includes a new, Beats-branded nine-speaker premium audio option, along with optional automatic wipers on the Latitude trim. These automatic wipers also come standard on Limited and Trailhawk trim levels.
The 2016 Jeep Renegade is available in four trim levels: Sport, Latitude, Limited, and Trailhawk®.
2016 Jeep Renegade Photos:
2016 Jeep Renegade Exterior
For the 2016 model year, the Jeep Renegade’s unique styling is back. While it features the iconic Jeep seven-slot grille, the rest of its styling stands alone in the brand’s lineup. Its compact size is emphasized by its box-like shape, while the raised ride height hints at the Renegade’s off-roading capabilities. When you add this compact crossover’s surprisingly stunning mix of soft curves and harsh angles, you have one Jeep that is hard to ignore.
2016 Jeep Renegade Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the Sport:
- 16-inch styled steel wheels, Tire service kit, Body-color roof, Black door handles, Daytime running lamp system, Halogen headlamps with turn-off time delay, Capless fuel fill, Rear window defroster, Rear window wiper/washer, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Black exterior mirrors, Lower body side cladding, Manual mirrors, Monotone paint, Removable short mast antenna, “Sport” badge
Exterior available on the Latitude:
- 16-inch aluminum wheels, Black side roof rails, Body-color door handles, Automatic headlamps, Cornering front fog lamps, Deep tint sunscreen glass, Exterior mirrors with heating element, Upgraded exterior color mirror, “Latitude” badge
Exterior available on the Limited:
- 18-inch aluminum wheels, Bright side roof rails, Windshield wiper de-icer, Bright exterior mirrors with turn signals, “Limited” badge
Exterior available on the Trailhawk:
- 17-inch aluminum wheels, Full size spare tire, Black painted roof, Hood decal, Accent color exterior badging, Accent color exterior mirrors, “Trailhawk” badge, Exterior mirrors with turn signals
2016 Jeep Renegade Performance
A 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine comes standard on the Sport and Latitude models, pumping out 160 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. This engine option comes with a six-speed manual transmission.
Optional for the Sport and Latitude, and standard for the Limited and Trailhawk trims, is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that churns out 180 horsepower and 175 lb-ft of torque and is paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission.
Every Renegade is offered with either front-wheel or four-wheel drive, with the exception of the Trailhawk, which only comes with 4WD. When properly equipped with the Trailer Tow package, 4WD, and the 2.4-liter engine, the Renegade can two up to 2,000 pounds.
2016 Jeep Renegade Efficiency
The 2016 Jeep Renegade’s fuel efficiency varies depending on the engine, transmission, and drivetrain chosen. For the front-wheel drive models equipped with the 1.4-liter engine, fuel efficiency ratings are around 24 mpg city and 31 mpg highway. The 2.4-liter engine with front-wheel drive gets around 22 mpg city and 31 mpg highway. For the 2.4-liter engine with four-wheel drive, the numbers come in at 21 mpg city and 29 mpg highway.
2016 Jeep Renegade Interior
While Jeep might consider the Renegade its entry-level model, the interior of this compact crossover says otherwise. Though the Sport base trim doesn’t have some creature comforts like air-conditioning, it still has a simple, yet elegant style that can’t be ignored. Most Renegade models come equipped with soft-touch materials and a variety of Jeep-themed logos and badges. When you have the standard 6.5-inch touchscreen and Uconnect infotainment system, there’s no denying that the 2016 Renegade will keep you connected, even when you’re off the grid. After all, it is a winner of Ward’s 2015 10 Best Interiors award.
2016 Jeep Renegade Interior Photos:
Interior available on the Sport:
- Cloth low-back bucket seats, Driver seat height adjuster, Front-passenger fold forward seat with soft back, Manual 6-way driver seat and 4-way passenger seat, Rear 60/40 folding seat, Three rear seat head restraints, 12-volt auxiliary power outlet, 160-mph primary speedometer, Auxiliary 12-volt rear power outlet, Cargo tie-down loops, Cluster 3.5-inch TFT monochrome display, Driver assist handle, Driver-side sun visor with mirror, Electronic vehicle information center, Floor mats, Front center sliding armrest, Outside temperature display, Passenger assist handles, Passenger-side sun visor with mirror, Power front windows with 1-touch up and down feature, Rearview day/night mirror, Second-row power windows, Silver shift knob, Steering wheel with mounted audio controls, Tachometer, Cargo compartment lamp, Glove box lamp
- Four speakers, Media hub (USB, aux), Radio 3.0
Interior available on the Latitude:
- Air conditioning, Front seat back map pockets, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors, Ambient LED interior lighting
- Remote USB port – charge only, One year SiriusXM radio service, 5.0-inch touchscreen display, Six speakers, GPS antenna input, Integrated voice command with Bluetooth®
Interior available on the Limited:
- 40/20/40 rear seat with trunk pass-thru, Heated front seats, Leather-trimmed bucket seats, Power 4-way driver lumbar adjust, Power 8-way driver seat, 115-volt auxiliary power outlet, A/C auto temperature control with dual zone control, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Heated steering wheel
Interior available on the Trailhawk:
- Premium cloth low-back bucket seats, 115-volt auxiliary power outlet, Cluster 7.0-inch TFT color display, Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Optional HD Radio, Optional navigation
2016 Jeep Renegade Safety
In Edmunds.com brake testing, the 2016 Renegade was able to stop from 60 mph in just 116 feet, which is an amazing number for its class. The Renegade has a long list of safety features, including the available Uconnect Acces, which uses embedded cellular technology to offer emergency and roadside assistance, along with remote door locking and stolen vehicle location services.
A full list of standard safety features includes:
- Advanced multistage front airbags
- Antilock 4-wheel disc brakes
- Driver inflatable knee-bolster airbag
- Dual note electric horns
- Electric park brake
- Electric power steering
- Electronic roll mitigation
- Electronic stability control
- Front passenger seatbelt alert
- LATCH ready child seat anchor system
- Locking glove box
- Occupant detection system
- Panic brake assist
- Remote keyless entry
- Speed sensitive power locks
- Supplemental front seat-mounted side airbags
- Supplemental side-curtain front and rear airbags
- Tire pressure monitoring display
Award-Winning Capabilities: Check out why the Jeep Renegade was named the Compact CUV of Texas
A born-and-raised Jersey girl, Caitlin Moran has somehow found herself settled in Edinburgh, Scotland. When she’s not spending her days trying to remember which side of the road to drive on, Caitlin enjoys getting down and nerdy with English. She continues to combine her love of writing with her love of cars for The News Wheel, while also learning more about the European car market—including the fact that the Seat brand is pronounced “se-at” not “seat” as you might think. See more articles by Caitlin.