2016 Kia Optima Overview
Say “hello” to the new face of affordable luxury—the 2016 Kia Optima. Kia’s newest sedan offers the perfect combination of affordability, heart-pounding performance, and luxury, which makes this sedan the perfect vehicle for any consumer. With standard technology, including an Active Eco System, Bluetooth, and a rear camera, there is little that the Optima doesn’t offer for the low starting price of $21,840. After all, it’s not just any car that receives a Kelley Blue Book KBB.com Best Buy Award.
What’s New for the 2016 Kia Optima
Kia has spiced things up for the mid-size sedan segment with the 2016 Kia Optima, which has undergone a complete redesign since the 2015 model. These changes include a stiffer, lighter chassis, a larger footprint, and a third engine option, which is a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and is only available on the base LX. The 2016 Optima is also the first Kia model to have the brand’s seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. In terms of technology, this sedan is also one of the first models on the market to offer both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
The 2016 Kia Optima is available in five trim levels: LX, LX 1.6T, EX, SX, and SX Limited.
2016 Kia Optima Photos:
2016 Kia Optima Exterior
There are few models in the mid-size sedan segment that can truly turn your head, but the 2016 Optima does so with ease. This sedan offers consumers everyday elegance with sweeping bodylines, an athletic stance, and a striking front fascia. In fact, you might say the 2016 Optima practically oozes sophistication and luxury. The entire design is tied together with Kia’s signature tiger nose grille, while the 16-inch alloy wheels and available High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights truly make the 2016 Kia Optima stand out.
2016 Kia Optima Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the LX:
- Power adjusting outside mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, Folding outside mirrors, Solar control glass, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Projector beam headlights, Auto light control, Locking fuel-filler door, Chrome exhaust tip, 16-inch alloy wheels, Tire mobility kit
Exterior available on the LX 1.6T:
- Power folding & heated outside mirrors, Door handle pocket lights, Smart Welcome, Sound-absorbing front door windows, Smart Trunk, Premium Michelin tires
Exterior available on the EX:
- Dual projector beam headlights, Positioning LED lights, LED rear combination lamps, 17-inch alloy wheels
Exterior available on the SX:
- Front & rear sport bumpers, Rear spoiler, Bi-Xenon HID headlights, Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) with auto-leveling, Sport style LED rear combination lamps, 18-inch alloy wheels, Machined finish, Space-saver SpareTire
Exterior available on the SX Limited:
- Panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, High Beam Assist (HBA), Premium Michelin tires
2016 Kia Optima Performance
The 2016 Kia Optima comes with three engine choices, depending on your needs. The first is only available on the LX and is a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder that churns out 178 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque. A 2.4-liter GDI four-cylinder is the second engine option, giving the LX and EX trim levels a boost in power with 185 horsepower and 178 lb-ft of torque. Finally, a 2.0-liter generates an astounding 245 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque for the SX and SX Limited trims.
Both the 2.4- and 2.0-liter engines are mated with a six-speed automatic, while the turbocharged 1.6-liter is paired with Kia’s first-ever dual-clutch seven-speed transmission. Every Optima comes with front-wheel drive.
2016 Kia Optima Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 2016 Kia Optima changes depending on the engine. The 2.4-liter engine gets up to an EPA-estimated 30 mpg combined, while the 2.0-liter gets up to 26 mpg combined. For the turbocharged 1.6-liter, fuel efficiency comes in around 32 mpg combined.
2016 Kia Optima Interior
No matter the trim level you choose, the 2016 Optima’s interior delivers pure luxury. Larger and more comfortable than ever before, the sedan’s cabin offers innovative technology and a functional design, all wrapped up in one beautiful package. The Optima has more soft-touch materials, a driver-oriented dashboard set up, and more comfortable seats to make it truly remarkable. Heated and ventilated power-adjustable seats are available, along with leather seats, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, and Kia’s UVO infotainment services. With a variety of top-notch standard features, you might think you’re in a much more expensive car when you get into the 2016 Optima.
2016 Kia Optima Interior Photos:
Interior available on the LX:
- Power windows with driver one-touch auto-down, Air conditioning, Folding rear center armrest with cup holders, Front & rear door bottle holders, Front-seat back pockets, Day/night interior rear-view mirror, Overhead sunglasses holder, Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors, Cloth seats with YES Essentials® Fabric Treatment (delayed availability), 8-way driver’s seat adjustment with two-way lumbar support, 6-way passenger seat adjustment, 60/40 split folding rear seat with center armrest & adjustable rear headrests, Height-adjustable front seat-belt anchors, Illuminated ignition key lock cylinder
- AM/FM/CD/MP3/SiriusXM® audio system, Six speakers, BLUETOOTH® wireless technology hands-free connectivity, Rear-camera display, Cruise control with steering wheel controls, Steering-wheel-mounted audio, Hands-free phone and cruise control buttons, Two front console 12-volt power outlets, USB/auxiliary jack, 3.5-inch thin film transistor (TFT), LCD meter display with trip computer, Drive Mode Select, Active Eco System, Remote Keyless Entry with trunk opener
Interior available on the LX 1.6T:
- Power windows with driver and front passenger one-touch auto-up/down, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and gear shift knob
- Push-Button Start with Smart Key and Immobilizer
Interior available on the EX:
- Dual-zone automatic temperature control, Glove box illumination, Leather seating, 12-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with 4-way power lumbar support, Driver’s seat Integrated Memory System (IMS), Heated front seats, Heated steering wheel, Woodgrain interior accents, Carpeted floor & trunk mats
- USB 2.1 charger ports (2), Rear 12-volt power outlet
Interior available on the SX:
- Auto dimming rear-view mirror, Rear door window sunshades, Sport leather seating, Metal look interior accents, Alloy pedals, Stainless-steel door scuff plate trim
- UVO eServices with Premium Navigation, Voice-Command Navigation System with SiriusXM® Traffic and HD Radio™, Steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, Sport steering-wheel, 4.3-inch thin film transistor (TFT), Color LCD display with trip computer
Interior available on the SX Limited:
- Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) with Auto Hold, LED interior lighting, Quilted Nappa leather seating, 10-way power-adjustable front passenger seat with 2-way lumbar support, Ventilated front seats, Heated rear seats, Leatherette instrument panel and door trim with silver stitching, Premium black tricot headliner and pillar trim
- Harman/Kardon® QuantumLogic™ Premium Surround Sound with Clari-Fi™ (630 Watts and 10 Speakers), Rear Parking Assist System (RPAS), Surround View Monitor (SVM), Blind-Spot Detection System (BSD), Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA), Advanced Smart Cruise Control (ASCC), Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS), Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
2016 Kia Optima Safety
While the list of standard safety features on the 2016 Kia Optima is long, the available technology is even longer. The Optima is available with a variety of safety features like a 360-degree camera, adaptive cruise, blind-spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert, and automatic braking. It also has a terrific system for teen drivers, which includes geofencing, speed alert, curfew alert, and a “driving score,” which allows parents to see how their teens are driving. With this kind of safety technology, it’s no wonder the 2016 Kia Optima earned the government’s highest five-star overall safety rating.
A full list of standard safety features can be found below.
- Dual Front Advanced Airbags
- Dual Front Seat Mounted Side Airbags
- Full-Length Side Curtain Airbags
- Driver’s Side Knee Airbag
- Front Seat-Belt Pretensioners
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), 4-Wheel
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- Rear Child-Safety Door Locks
- Internal Emergency Trunk Release
A born-and-raised Jersey girl, Caitlin Moran has somehow found herself settled in Edinburgh, Scotland. When she’s not spending her days trying to remember which side of the road to drive on, Caitlin enjoys getting down and nerdy with English. She continues to combine her love of writing with her love of cars for The News Wheel, while also learning more about the European car market—including the fact that the Seat brand is pronounced “se-at” not “seat” as you might think. See more articles by Caitlin.