2016 Mazda6 Overview
Back in 2012, Mazda debuted the flagship sedan for its new generation of vehicles, infused with a SKYACTIV engine and KODO-Soul of Motion design. Now that it’s 2016, Mazda presents, updated, its flagship: the 2016 Mazda6, stuffed with more greatness than ever before.
The 2016 Mazda6 comes in three different trim levels: i Sport, i Touring, and i Grand Touring. It also comes with a long list of optional features, and three additional feature packages: the Touring Moonroof Package (adds a huge moonroof, a new audio system, and SiriusXM radio), the Touring Technology Package (requires the moonroof package, but adds 10 more convenience features), and the Grand Touring Technology Package (adds a regenerative braking system, several active safety features, and Active Grille Shutters). As the names suggest, the Moonroof and Touring Technology packages only apply to Touring trim level models, and the the Grand Touring Technology package only applies to Grand Touring models.
More From Mazda: Mazda MX-5 Miata Reigns Supreme in J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey
What’s New for the 2016 Mazda6?
For all trims levels, the 2016 Mazda6 gets electric parking brakes and upgraded interior materials. From there, upgrades get a little more specific – the Grand Touring Mazda6 gets updated exterior styling including LED headlights, and every trim level but the base Sport (with a manual transmission) gets a larger touchscreen.
2016 Mazda6 Photos:
2016 Mazda6 Exterior
For the 2016 model year, Mazda redesigned the Mazda6’s front fascia with a signature bumper and grille. In addition, the Mazda6 sports LED headlights and a new available Active Grill Shutter, which operates based on the weather and other driving conditions to improve fuel economy.
2016 Mazda6 Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Mazda6 i Sport:
- Automatic halogen headlights, Daytime running lights, Delay off headlights, Alloy wheels, Turn signal indicators on side mirrors, Power adjustable side mirrors
Exterior available on Mazda6 i Touring:
- Automatic halogen headlights, Turn signal indicators on side mirrors, Power adjustable side mirrors, Daytime running lights, Delay off headlights, Alloy wheels
Exterior available on Mazda6 i Grand Touring:
- Daytime running lights, Delay-off headlights, Automatic LED headlights, Alloy wheels, Turn signal indicators on side mirrors, Heated door mirrors, Power adjustable side mirrors, Fog lights, Spoiler
2016 Mazda6 Performance
The Mazda6 is powered in all trims by a 2.5-liter SKYACTIV-G four-cylinder engine (which puts out 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque), but has two choices of transmission: a SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual or a SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed Sport automatic. In Grand Touring models, only the automatic is available. Despite the engine only having four cylinders, the Mazda6 is still a quick ride, shooting from 0 to 60 in 7.6 seconds.
2016 Mazda6 Efficiency
When it comes to fuel consumption, the Mazda6 is a sipper. At the lowest, with the manual transmission the Mazda6 achieves 25 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway. Bump that up to the automatic and fuel economy jumps a bit as well, up to 26 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. That’s not all, though. There is one more step up: the addition of the optional i-ELOOP system in Grand Touring models, which uses a type of modified regenerative braking to help power the car’s systems. This boosts the fuel efficiency to a phenomenal 28 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway.
2016 Mazda6 Interior
Mazda has added a number of premium options to the interior. First, as mentioned above, are upgraded trim materials, but more important are the MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system, which is used to control the Mazda6’s features, and the Commander control dial, which works with the infotainment system so the driver won’t have to lean across the cabin to adjust the music. On the same note, Mazda placed several system controls on the steering wheel, including Bluetooth® controls, so that drivers can keep their eyes on the road and stay connected at the same time.
2016 Mazda6 Interior Photos:
Interior available on Mazda6 i Sport:
- Bluetooth capability for streaming audio, Smart City Brake Support, Keyless entry, Leather shift knob and steering wheel, Tilt and telescopic steering column, CD player with changer, Overhead console storage, Delayed courtesy light, Cruise control, AM/FM Radio, Steering wheel mounted controls, Six speakers, Second row folding seat
Interior available on Mazda6 i Touring:
- Bluetooth capability for streaming audio, Power adjustable driver’s seat, Automatic climate control, Keyless entry, Delayed courtesy light, Tilt and telescopic steering column, AM/FM Radio, Second row folding seat, Overhead console storage, Cruise control, Steering wheel mounted controls, CD player with changer, Leather shift knob and steering wheel, Six speakers
Interior available on Mazda6 i Grand Touring:
- Navigation and telematic systems, Keyless entry, Steering wheel mounted controls, Power moonroof, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Leather seating, Automatic climate control, Eleven speakers, Delayed courtesy light, AM/FM Radio, Power-adjustable front seats, Bluetooth capability for streaming audio, Overhead console storage, CD player with changer, Auto day/night or electrochromic mirror, Leather shift knob and steering wheel, Second row folding seat, Cruise control, Head-up display
2016 Mazda6 Safety
When it comes to safety, the Mazda6 has it figured out. With a long list of security features, the Mazda6 scored the top rating of “Good” in every test from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (plus a score of “Advanced” for its optional Smart City Brake Support), and all five stars in the National Highway Traffic Safety Association’s safety testing. In addition, Mazda offers a bevy of available i-ACTIVSENSE active safety features, including Radar Cruise Control, which will slow the car to a safe following distance if it senses a car in front of you, and Blind Spot Monitoring, which warns you if another vehicle is in one of your blind spots.
Standard Safety Features:
- Standard safety features include advanced front air bags, front side-impact air bags, and side-impact air curtains
- Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control System
- 4-wheel ABS with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and Brake Assist
- High Beam Control
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Close Proximity Warning
- Side guard door beams
- Child safety locks
- Tire inflation/pressure monitor
More For the Family: Try Something New: Great Side Dishes for Cookouts