2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Overview
Mercedes defines true luxury in the automotive world, and the all-new 2016 Mercedes-Benz SL roadster is the perfect example of why that statement continues to ring true. The two-door hardtop convertible roadster balances luxury and performance flawlessly and is easily the top dog in the premium coupe and convertible class, beating out other contenders like the Audi S5 and the BMW 6-Series.
The 2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class is offered in four trims: SL400, SL550, AMG SL63, and AMG SL65.
Research More: See how the 2015 SL-Class compares
2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Exterior
The SL-Class is sculpted for the ultimate sports car appearance, drawing on 60 years of performance heritage. Depending on trim, the roadster ranges from 3,836 pounds to a massive (yet still nimble) 4,299 pounds. Height stays in the 51 inch range, while length varies from 181.6 inches to 182.4 inches. The wheelbase comes in at 101.8 inches for all models, but width changes considerably from 73.9 inches on the SL400 and SL550 to 82.6 inches on the AMGs.
Exterior Features on the SL400 and SL550
- 18-inch twin 5-spoke wheels, High-performance tires, Panorama roof with optional MAGIC SKY CONTROL®, Power retractable hardtop, Deep front air dam with mesh intakes, Aerodynamic side sills and rear valance, Chrome-accented hood and fender vents, Auto-dimming side mirrors
Exterior Features on the AMG SL63 and SL653
(Adds to or replaces features on previous trims)
- AMG body styling, Rear spoiler, 19-inch AMG twin 5-spoke wheels
2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Performance
Trim means everything when it comes to what’s under the hood. Engines range from the SL400’s 329-hp V6 to the SL550’s V8, good for 449 ponies. The AMG SL63 is motivated by a handcrafted V8 that lays out 557 horsepower, but the true beast lurks beneath the hood of the AMG SL65: a hand-built, 621-hp biturbo V12. The AMGs benefit from a seven-speed AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT while the other two models utilize a seven-speed automatic transmission.
Handling is sharp and the ride is smooth thanks to an all-star suspension and semi-active electronically adaptive damping, as well as Active Body Control; corners are made easier with Direct-steer.
Torque ranges from 354 lb-ft at 1,600 rpm to a whopping 738 lb-ft at 2,300 rpm, depending on trim.
2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Efficiency
Fuel economy is admittedly where the SL-Class of vehicles does not shine, but not much is expected from sports cars in this department. The SL400 gets away with a respectable 20 mpg city/27 mpg highway rating, but the AMG SL65 burns through fuel rather quickly—14 mpg in the city and 21 on the highway.
2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Interior
The interior dimensions of the 2016 SL-Class are uniform across the various trims. You’ll get 39.1 inches of front head room, 53.6 inches of front hip room, 42.9 inches of front leg room, and 55.5 inches of front shoulder room. Total cargo volume rests at 8.5 cubic feet.
Features such as leather seats, genuine wood trip, a leather steering wheel, climate control, navigational aids, premium sound systems, and intelligent cruise control make the driving or riding experience comfortable, convenient, and even entertaining.
Interior Features on the SL400
- Sun-reflecting leather-trimmed upholstery; Two-person seating; Heated seats; Dual-zone climate control; Auto-dimming rearview mirror; 3-spoke multifunction leather-wrapped steering wheel; Dashtop analog clock; Burl Walnut, Black Ash, or Brown Satin Poplar wood trim; 12-way power seats with memory; HomeLink™ garage door opener
- COMAND system with central controller, harman/kardon LOGIC7® sound system with Dolby Digital 5.1, FrontBass® system, 80GB hard-drive navigation with map updates for three years, HD Radio receiver, SiriusXM with six-month All Access trial, USB port, Voice control with learning feature, Hands-free Bluetooth interface and audio streaming, In-dash DVD/CD player with SD cars reader, SiriusXM Traffic and Weather with five years of service
Interior Features on the SL550
(Adds to or replaces features on SL400)
- AIRSCARF neck-level heating system, Electronic trunk closer with HANDS-FREE ACCESS,Active multicontour seats with massage feature, Ventilated seats, Power windblocker, KEYLESS-GO
Interior Features on the AMG SL63
(Adds to or replaces features on SL550)
- IWG “Ingenieur” dashtop analog clock, AMG sport steering wheel, Carbon fiber interior trim, AMG illuminated door sills, AMG instrumentation, Sun-reflecting AMG Nappa leather upholstery
Interior Features on the AMG SL65
(Adds to or replaces features on AMG SL63)
- AMG Exclusive Nappa leather upholstery, Soft-close doors
- Bang & Olufsen® BeoSound™ AMG Sound System
2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Safety
Despite its small size and high speed proclivities, the 2016 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class is incredibly safe, with a number of standard active and passive safety features, including the following:
- 8-way airbag protection
- Pop-up roll bars
- Aluminum body structure
- Adaptive braking technology, Brake Assist, Antilock Braking System
- Advanced Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
- NECK-PRO active head restraints
- Electronic Stability Program
- Antitheft alarm system
What’s That Sound? Find out what’s going on under the hood of your car