2016 Nissan Altima Overview
The 2016 Nissan Altima is a mid-size family sedan with an MSRP of $22,500 for its base 2.5 model. The Nissan Altima provides impressive fuel economy of up to 39 mpg on the highway and also boats excellent safety ratings. The Altima competes in the same segment as the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Ford Fusion.
What’s New for the 2016 Nissan Altima?
The Nissan Altima looks quite different for the 2016 model year, as it features redesigned headlights, new look taillights, and a new V-shaped grille. Nissan has also introduced a new SR trim for the Altima that features a sport-tuned suspension, daytime running lights, a rear spoiler, 18-inch alloy wheels, sport seats, and foglights.
2016 Nissan Altima Photos:
2016 Nissan Altima Exterior
The redesigned Nissan Altima brings a sleeker and more aggressive exterior design than the one it sported just one year prior. Standard exterior features for the Nissan Altima include dual chrome exhaust finishers, 16-inch steel wheels, and active grille shutters. The top level 3.5 SL model features larger 18-inch wheels and LED headlights. Exterior color options include Super Black, Storm Blue, Cayenne Red, Gun Metallic, and Glacier White.
2016 Nissan Altima Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5
- Projector-type halogen headlights, UV-reducing solar glass and noise-reducing windshield, Dual chrome exhaust finishers, Available Splash Guards (4-piece), Available Chrome Body Side Moldings, 16-inch x 7.0-inch Steel wheels with bolt-on wheel covers, Variable intermittent speed-sensitive flat-blade windshield wipers
Exterior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5: Smart Auto Headlights
Exterior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 SR
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 S: 18-inch Aluminum-alloy wheels, Sport Spoiler, Fog lights, Smoked headlight housing
Exterior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 S: 17-inch Aluminum-alloy wheels, Smart Auto Headlights
Exterior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
- Contains the same exterior features as the 2.5 SV.
Exterior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 SR: LED headlights with Signature LED Daytime Running Lights
Exterior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 SL: 18-inch Aluminum-alloy wheels, Power sliding glass moonroof with one-touch open/close and tilt feature
2016 Nissan Altima Performance
There are two engine options that come with the 2016 Nissan Altima. The standard engine is a 2.5-liter four-cylinder that produces 182 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque. The other engine option is a 3.5-liter V6 that pumps out 270 horsepower and 251 lb-ft of torque. Both engines come matched with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The V6 engine is only available on the higher 3.5 level trims.
2016 Nissan Altima Efficiency
Fuel economy for the 2016 Nissan Altima depends on which trim and engine option consumers choose:
- The 2016 Altima equipped with the four-cylinder engine yields an EPA-estimated 27 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway.
- Altima SR models with the four-cylinder motor yield an EPA-estimated 26 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway.
- New ‘16 Altimas loaded with the V6 engine produce EPA-estimated fuel economy of 22 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.
The 2016 Nissan Altima comes standard with an 18 gallon fuel tank.
2016 Nissan Altima Interior
The 2016 Nissan Altima provides a spacious and comfortable cabin. With seating for up to five people, rear passengers enjoy 36.1 inches of leg room and Nissan’s zero gravity seats are said to be extremely comfortable. The ’16 Altima comes standard with push-button start, Bluetooth connectivity, a CD player with four speakers, and Nissan’s Easy Fill Tire Alert system, which beeps the horn and flashes the lights when you’ve filled its tires with the correct amount of air pressure. If you decide to splurge and go up one trim level to the 2.5 S, then your Altima will feature a rearview camera, USB port, Siri Eyes Free voice recognition for iPhones, and a six-speaker audio system with 5-inch display. Additionally, the trunk of the Altima provides 15.4 cubic feet of storage space.
2016 Nissan Altima Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5
- Advanced Drive-Assist® Display, Bluetooth® (Hands-free phone system and streaming audio), 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, Push Button Ignition, Air-conditioning, Power windows with one-touch driver-side auto-up/down with auto-reverse, Tilt and telescoping steering column, Sun visors with vanity mirrors, Cloth seat trim, Available Nissan 4G WiFi & Apps, Remote trunk release, Digital clock (in radio), AM/FM/CD audio system, Four speakers, Auxiliary audio input jack, MP3/WMA CD playback capability
Interior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5: NissanConnect℠ with Mobile Apps, In-cabin microfilter, Bluetooth®, Advanced Drive-Assist® Display, Nissan Intelligent Key®, AM/FM/CD audio system with 5” color display and RearView Monitor, Cruise control, Six speakers, USB connection port for iPod® interface and other compatible devices
Interior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 SR
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 S: Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Paddle shifters with manual mode, 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Nissan Intelligent Key®
Interior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 S: Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC), Nissan Intelligent Key® with Remote Engine Start and Stop System, Blind Spot Warning (BSW), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Interior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 SV: 4-way power adjustable front-passenger’s seat, Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror with digital compass, Leather-appointed seats, Bose® Premium Audio System with 9 speakers including woofers
Interior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 3.5 SR
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 SR: Six speakers
Interior available on the 2016 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL
- Adds to or replaces features on the 2.5 SL: 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Heated front seats and steering wheel, Front and Rear Sonar System, NissanConnect℠ with Navigation and Mobile Apps with 7.0-inch color touch-screen monitor and voice recognition, SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link
2016 Nissan Altima Safety
The 2016 Nissan Altima was named a Top Safety Pick Plus by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The Altima scored the highest possible rating of “Good” in crash tests from all sides and also received a rating of “Superior” for its front crash prevention capabilities. Besides coming standard with six air bags and antilock brakes, the new Altima also offers rear-cross traffic alert and a blind-spot monitor, as well as forward collision warning and mitigation systems.
Standard Safety Features
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Easy-Fill Tire Alert
- Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System
- LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
Worried About Your Carbon Footprint? Check out the all-electric Nissan LEAF and its zero emissions