2016 Nissan Maxima Overview
After a one-year hiatus, the Maxima has returned with a brand new look, feel, and, well, everything. Nissan has completely overhauled the Maxima to bring a four-door sedan with a sporty feel.
The 2016 Nissan Maxima comes in five different trim levels: S, SV, SL, SR, and Platinum, and can be decked out with a large number of accesories. Our favorites include the Emergency Road Kit, Interior Accent Lighting, and External Ground Lighting.
More Sporty Nissan News: Nissan GT Academy Finals Held In Nashville
What’s New for the 2016 Nissan Maxima?
Pretty much everything is new on the Nissan Maxima. In the past, the Maxima had been having trouble, possibly because it seemed so similar to the Altima. Nissan was about to drop the Maxima entirely, until Pierre Loing, vice president of North American product planning, convinced the automaker to bring the car back. The result is this dashing sedan: the “Four Door Sports Car.”
2016 Nissan Maxima Photos:
2016 Nissan Maxima Exterior
The 2016 Maxima has been lowered and lengthened slightly, with added jet-inspired styling to make the Maxima sleeker. In particular, Nissan made the pillars the same color as the glass so that they seem to meld into the glass, creating the illusion that the roof is floating over the car.
2016 Nissan Maxima Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima S:
- Halogen headlamps, LED daytime running lights, Fog lamps, Dual mufflers with rolled chrome-tipped finishers
Exterior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima SV:
- Vehicle speed-sensing variable intermittent wipers , Heated side mirrors with LED turn signal indicators
Exterior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima SL:
- Dual panel panoramic moonroof
Exterior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima SR:
- 19-inch “Diamond Cut” wheels, LED low-beam headlights
Exterior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima Premium:
- Rain-sensing wipers, Auto-dimming driver-side side mirror, Rear-window power sunshade, Side mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature, LED low-beam headlights
2016 Nissan Maxima Performance
The Nissan Maxima is powered by a 3.5-liter DOGC 24-valve V6 engine, tuned up to produce 300 horsepower and 261 lb-ft of torque all of which is routed through a Continuously Variable Transmission to the front wheels. So, it’s no wonder that, according to Edmunds.com, the Maxima bolts from 0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds, and on the Nissan website the automaker brags that the Maxima has better a power-to-weight ratio than the Acura TLX, Toyota Avalon, or BMW 3 Series at 11.6 pounds per horsepower.
2016 Nissan Maxima Efficiency
The Maxima’s V6 isn’t the only thing that got a bit of a boost. The Maxima’s fuel economy also jumped, reaching 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. This is partly due to Nissan’s introduction of the all-new Xtronic continuously variable transmission. CVTs normally have no gear shifts, but Nissan has added dynamic step shifting and an adaptive shift controller, which provides distinct shift points and keeps the CVT’s increased fuel economy while enhancing the sporty feel of the drive.
2016 Nissan Maxima Interior
Nissan didn’t just style the outside like a fighter jet; it also styled the interior to mimic a jet’s cockpit with bolstered sport seats and a tall center stack to surround you while raising the controls up for easier reach. Nissan also tilted the center console slightly to the left to face the driver and increase driver-side accessibility. Other optional goodies include an dual-panel panoramic moonroof and climate-controlled front seats.
2016 Nissan Maxima Interior Photos:
Interior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima S:
- Razor steel trim, Two 12-volt power outlets, Dual zone automatic temperature control with in-cabin filter, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatbacks, Eight-way power driver’s seat, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Interior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima SV:
- Heated front seats with power lumbar and thigh support, Leather-appointed seating
Interior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima SL:
- Adjustable ambient LED interior lighting, Heated steering wheel
Interior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima SR:
- Climate-controlled front seats, Premium Ascot leather-appointed seats with Diamond-quilted Alcantara® inserts, Sports pedals, Liquid chrome trim
Interior available on 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum:
- Ascot leather-wrapped steering wheel, Premium Ascot leather-appointed seats with Diamond-quilted Alcantara® inserts, Power-tilt/telescoping steering column, Memory System for driver’s seat and mirrors, Mahogany wood-tone trim, Climate-controlled front seats
2016 Nissan Maxima Safety
The 2016 Maxima comes with several safety features. Many active, advanced systems are available, such as Predictive Forward Collision Warning, Forward Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Warning, and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. More standard safety features include a Tire Pressure Monitoring System that beeps the horn at you when you have filled the tires to the correct pressure, Brake Assist that helps apply maximum braking force in an emergency, Electronic Brake Force Distribution for if you have additional weight in the back, Vehicle Dynamic Control that helps you maintain your path, and six airbags placed around the vehicle.
Nissan has recalled the 2016 Maxima due to an improperly installed O ring where the fuel delivery line meets the fuel tank, which could increase the possibility of a vehicle fire in the event of an accident. In a document sent to the NHTSA, Nissan said that there have been no related customer reports of leaks, accidents, or injuries, but that the problem was found during lab testing. Nissan reports that it will find a remedy to the problem and will be delivering it to dealers before the 28th. In the meantime, a Nissan spokesman has said that the cars are safe to drive, but affected drivers should call 1-800-NISSAN1 or discuss concerns with their dealer.
Standard Safety Features:
- Advanced air bag system with supplemental front air bags and occupant-classification sensors
- Driver and front-passenger side-impact air bags and curtain airbags
- Vehicle Dynamic Control with Traction Control System
- Zone body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Tire pressure monitoring system with Easy-Fill Tire Alert
- Vehicle immobilizer system with security system
More Nissan Power: Nissan Truckumentary Chapter Six Hits The Interweb