2016 Porsche Boxster Overview
With its 2016 model, the Porsche Boxter is celebrating its 20th year of availability in the automotive marketplace. Famous for its excellent handling and stylish design, the 2016 Porsche Boxter will feature a 375 horsepower 3.8-liter flat-six engine inside its Spyder model, which makes it the fastest and most powerful Boxter ever produced.
The 2016 Porsche Boxster is available in four trims: Boxster, S, GTS, and Spyder.
What’s new for the 2016 Porsche Boxster?
Porsche will be offering the 2016 Boxter in a Black Edition that comes with a 265 horsepower 2.7-liter six-cylinder engine, which is also found in the base Boxter and will include many luxury features found in the higher trims. The Boxter Black Edition will come standard with 20-inch Carrera Classic wheels, an all black interior, and the Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS).
2016 Porsche Boxster Photos:
2016 Porsche Boxster Exterior
The exterior of the 2016 Porsche Boxster offers a sporty and elegant design that one would expect from the German automobile manufacturer. Coming standard with 18-inch alloy wheels and an automatically extending rear spoiler, the 2016 Porsche Boxster is sure to turn heads. Exterior color options for the 2016 Porsche Boxster include Agate Grey Metallic, White, Racing Yellow, Carrera White Metallic, Jet Black Metallic, Lime Gold Metallic, Dark Blue Metallic, Carmine Red Metallic, Mahogany Metallic, Rhodium Silver Metallic, Guards Red, Black, GT Silver Metallic, and Sapphire Blue Metallic.
2016 Porsche Boxster Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster
- Intelligent lightweight construction with aluminum-steel composite, Galvanized steel body shell components, Automatically extending rear spoiler, Front apron with integrated air intakes (outer intake slats in body color), Underbody paneling, PORSCHE and Boxster logotype on rear lid with chrome-colored finish, Aluminum doors and luggage compartment lid (front and rear), Water-repellant coating on door windows, Center single tailpipe in brushed stainless steel, Grey top tint on windscreen, Soft top with full electric operation and heatable rear glass screen
Exterior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster S
- Adds to or replaces features on base Boxster: Center double round tailpipe in brushed stainless steel, PORSCHE and Boxster S logotype on rear lid with chrome-colored finish
Exterior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster GTS
- Adds to or replaces features on S: Roadster top with fully electric operation/wind deflector/heatable rear glass window, Wind deflector, GTS front fascia with specially designed air intakes, Specially designed GTS rear fascia, Sport exhaust system with central twin-tube tailpipes in Black, PORSCHE and Boxster GTS logotype on rear lid in Black
Exterior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder
- Adds to or replaces features on GTS: Automatically extending Boxster Spyder rear spoiler, Manually activated lightweight hood with electric clasp and 2 backward fins, Front fascia with integrated cooling air intakes and titanium-colored grilles, Boxster Spyder front spoiler in black, PORSCHE and Boxster Spyder logotype on rear lid in Black, Aluminum lid with 2 dynamic streamliners
2016 Porsche Boxster Performance
The 2016 Porsche Boxster comes with a different engine in each of its four unique trims. The base Boxster is equipped with a 2.7-liter horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine good for 265 horsepower and 206 lb-ft of torque. The Boxster S features a 3.4-liter flat-six engine capable of 315 horsepower and 266 lb-ft of torque. The higher level Boxster GTS packs an upgraded 3.4-liter flat-six engine that produces 330 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque. Lastly, the 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder is complete with a 3.8-liter flat-six engine, which is capable of 375 horsepower and 309 lb-ft of torque. Each Boxter model is available with either a standard six-speed manual transmission or Porsche’s seven-speed PDK transmission—except the Spyder, which is only available in manual with an automatic start/stop function to save fuel. Porsche has estimated the 2016 Porsche Boxter Spyder is capable of accelerating from 0-to-60 in 4.3 seconds and features a top speed of 180 mph.
2016 Porsche Boxster Efficiency
Fuel economy for the 2016 Porsche Boxster varies between trims levels and the type of transmission that is used. The base Boxter gets 24 mpg combined when using the standard six-speed manual transmission and 26 mpg combined with the PDK transmission. The Boxter S is good for 23 mpg combined when using the standard manual transmission option and 24 mpg combined with the PDK transmission. The Boxter GTS sees a major difference in fuel mileage between its available transmissions, as it’s good for 22 mpg combined with the standard manual, and an impressive 25 mpg combined with the PDK transmission. Finally, the Boxster Spyder–with its one available transmission–is good for an EPA-estimated 20 mpg combined. The 2016 Porsche Boxster comes standard with 16.9 gallons of fuel tank capacity.
2016 Porsche Boxster Interior
Those who have driven the 2016 Porsche Boxter have complimented both the simple to use infotainment system and the extremely quiet ride this two-seat roadster provides. The interior of the 2016 Boxster also features Porsche badging on the steering wheel and a rearview camera comes optional. On the downside, the new Boxster only provides 10 cubic feet of storage space combined between its two trunks and the Spyder model is not available with air conditioning.
2016 Porsche Boxster Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster
- 3-spoke steering wheel in leather with full-color Porsche crest, Dual cup-holders integrated behind decorative molding in dashboard, Lockable glove box and storage compartment behind handbrake lever, Driver and passenger seat with electrical backrest adjustment and manual height and position adjustment, Heat rest integrated in seats, Floor mats, Power windows with one-touch operation, Rain-sensing windshield wipers with aerodynamic wiper blades/2 wiper speeds/adjustable intermittent wipe/heated washer nozzles, Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors on door panels, HomeLink® programmable garage door opener, Interior orientation light and reading light spots, Footwell lighting, Power release button for front and rear luggage compartment lid, Cruise control, Smoking package, 2 way-manual sports seats, Instrument cluster with central tachometer and multi-purpose display in the dot-matrix display and special scoop, On-board computer, Climate control with integrated active carbon filter, Continuously adjustable blower with defroster and recirculation settings, Green tinted glass
Interior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster S
- Adds to or replaces features on base Boxster: Front and center console with storage console and lockable glove box
Interior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster GTS
- Adds to or replaces features on S: Sport Seats Plus with elevated side bolsters/electric backrest adjustment/manual height adjustment, Sport Seats Plus backrest shells in Silver Grey and “GTS” logo in headrests, Black Alcantara® for steering wheel rim/gear shift lever/lower section of dashboard/seat centers/door handles/arm rests/center console storage lid, Leather interior in Black, Smooth-finish leather for upper section of dashboard/upper door panel/center console side sections/seat cushions/blosters/headrest, SportDesign steering with manual adjustment, Elevated center console, Vanity mirrors, Instrument cluster with central rev counter and high-res 4.6-inch TFT display, Continuously adjustable blower with defroster and recirculation settings, Green tinted heat-insulating glass
Interior available on the 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder
- Adds to or replaces features on GTS: Sport steering wheel with smaller diameter and steering wheel rim in Alcantara with manual adjustment, Dashboard trim strip and center console trim in exterior color, Door opening loop in black, “Spyder” lettering for door sill guard inlays/center console plaque/tachometer, Heating and ventilation system
2016 Porsche Boxster Safety
The 2016 Porsche Boxster has yet to undergo crash testing for either the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The mid-engine Boxster does offer Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB), the Porsche Side Impact Protection System (POSIP), and Porsche Stability Management (PSM).
Standard Safety Features
- 4-wheel ABS
- Stability control
- Traction control
- Tire pressure monitoring
- Antilock disc brakes