2016 Toyota Prius c Overview
The 2016 Toyota Prius c might not be as well-known as the original Prius, but there’s no need to discount it. This subcompact hatchback combines easy maneuverability on city streets with exceptional fuel economy to make it a hit with drivers everywhere.
The 2016 Toyota Prius c is available in four unimaginatively named trim levels: One, Two, Three, and Four.
All in the Family: Check out the next-gen Prius’ sporty styling
What’s New for the 2016 Toyota Prius c?
The Prius hatchback is being redesigned for 2016, but the Prius c will keep its current generation for a while longer. As a result, not much has changed from the 2015 version with a couple of notable exceptions.
First, the 2016 Prius c now offers Toyota’s Safety Sense C package, which includes lane departure assist, automatic high-beams, and a pre-collision system.
Additionally, Toyota will make 1,500 Prius c Persona Series Special Edition models. These limited-edition hatchbacks will come with a black paintjob with a choice between two accent colors: Cherry Pearl and Electric Lime. On top of that, this model comes with 15-inch black alloy wheels, cruise control, and two-tone fabric-trimmed seats.
2016 Toyota Prius c Persona Series Special Edition Photos:
2016 Toyota Prius c Exterior
From the outside, the 2016 Prius c is as joyful as ever, with bright color choices like Electric Lime Metallic, Sun Fusion, Tangerine Splash Pearl, and Blue Streak Metallic. The small hatchback has standard LED headlights and available LED foglights, making it stand out amongst its competition. Its boxy shape won’t appeal to all drivers, but one glance is all it takes to tell you that this compact car is bigger that you would expect on the inside.
2016 Toyota Prius c Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the One
- Single-LED projector low-and high-beam headlights, LED stop and taillights, Power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, 15-inch steel wheels with wheel covers, Shark-fin antenna, Intermittent rear wiper, Rear spoiler
Exterior available on the Two
- Same as One
Exterior available on the Three
- Same as One and Two
Exterior available on the Four
- Integrated LED fog lights, Heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, Power tilt-slide moonroof with sliding sunshade, 15-inch 8-spoke alloy wheels
2016 Toyota Prius c Performance
Performance isn’t the Prius c’s strong point. All models are powered by a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine good for 73 horsepower and 82 lb-ft of torque. This doesn’t make for fast pickup, but the Prius c’s light frame helps it pick up speed fast enough to successfully merge onto the highway without too much trouble.
2016 Toyota Prius c Efficiency
One of the biggest draws of the 2016 Toyota Prius c is its efficiency. With a city driving rating of 53 mpg, the Prius c even beats out the regular Prius in fuel efficiency ratings. The compact hatchback also gets 46 mpg on the highway, making a combined rating of 50 mpg.
2016 Toyota Prius c Interior
The 2016 Prius c carries a starting MSRP of just $19,560, so you might assume that its interior leaves a lot to be desired. However, all models offer premium features like automatic climate control, Bluetooth, and Siri Eyes Free. Additionally, you can opt for things like two-tone seats, a backup camera, and integrated navigation.
2016 Toyota Prius c Interior Photos:
Interior available on the One
- Features: Automatic climate control, 3.5-inch TFT Multi-Information Display, Fabric-trimmed seats, 4-way adjustable driver and front passenger seats, Fold-down rear seat, Tilt/telescopic steering wheel with steering wheel controls, Remote keyless entry system with illuminated entry, Power windows with driver-side one-touch auto up/down, Glove compartment, Front seat maplights
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Audio, 6.1-inch touchscreen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, Four speakers, Auxiliary input jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Bluetooth®, Siri® Eyes Free, One front 12V auxiliary power outlet
Interior available on the Two
- Features: Fabric two-tone seats, 6-way adjustable driver’s seat, 60/40 split fold-down rear seats, Cruise control, Soft-touch center console with armrest and storage compartment, Cargo area tonneau cover, Cargo area light
- Radio and Technology: Six speakers
Interior available on the Three
- Features: Touch Tracer Display, Smary Key System on front doors and liftgate with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry
- Radio and Technology: Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite, HD Radio™, HD predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, Gracenote® album cover art
Interior available on the Four
- Features: SofTex®-trimmed seats with heated front seats, SofTex-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with steering wheel controls
- Radio and Technology: Integrated backup camera
2016 Toyota Prius c Safety
Small doesn’t mean unsafe when it comes to the 2016 Toyota Prius c. Each model offers nine airbags, Toyota’s Star Safety System, and energy-absorbing crumple zones to help dissipate energy away from the passenger compartment.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™ – includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- Nine airbags – includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, driver knee airbag, driver and front passenger seat cushion airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- ToyotaCare featuring a no-cost maintenance plan with roadside assistance
Fool Me Once: Avoid these online car buying mistakes