2016 Toyota RAV4 Overview
The 2016 Toyota RAV4 enters the crowded small crossover segment alongside a number of all-new competitors. Despite being in its fourth generation, the RAV4 still offers plenty of standard and optional features to get drivers excited, and the 2016 model year includes some thrilling new features to ensure the crossover doesn’t fall into a design rut.
Compare: See the differences in the 2015 RAV4
What’s New for the 2016 Toyota RAV4?
The Toyota RAV4 entered its fourth generation in 2013. For 2016, the lineup has been revitalized by the introduction of three new models—the gasoline-powered SE and hybrid versions of the XLE and Limited trims. The new RAV4 Hybrid is the eighth hybrid vehicle in Toyota’s lineup, and joins the Prius, Prius v, Prius c, Prius Plug-In, Avalon Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, and Highlander Hybrid.
The 2016 Toyota RAV4 comes in six available trim levels, including LE, XLE, XLE Hybrid, SE, Limited, and Limited Hybrid. The hybrid models have all-wheel-drive systems, while the gasoline models are available with either FWD or AWD.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Photos:
2016 Toyota RAV4 Exterior
The 2016 Toyota RAV4 has kept much of its exterior styling from the previous model year, including its signature roof rails and boxy shape. A redesigned grille adorns the front of the crossover, highlighted by wrapped back headlight units on either side. The RAV4 also has a refreshed rear bumper, though the difference isn’t too visible.
Toyota offers 14 color choices for the 2016 RAV4, including the eye-catching Electric Storm Blue, and more traditional hues such as Black, Super White, and Classic Silver Metallic.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on LE
- Projector-beam headlights with auto-off feature, Halogen Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Color-keyed rear spoiler, 17-inch wide-vent steel wheels, Color-keyed roof-mounted shark-fin antenna, Color-keyed outside door handles, Power outside mirrors with folding feature and blind spot mirrors, Washer-linked intermittent windshield wipers and intermittent rear window wiper, Rear window defogger with timer, Acoustic noise-reducing front windshield, Roof rails
Exterior available on XLE
- Halogen projector-beam headlights with auto on/off feature, Integrated fog lights, 17-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels, Front and rear silver-painted bumper garnish, Color-keyed heated folding power outside mirrors with turn-signal indicators and blind spot mirrors, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade, Height-adjustable power liftgate with jam protection
Exterior available on XLE Hybrid
- Electronic On-Demand AWD with intelligence (AWD-i), 17-inch 5-spoke SuperChrome alloy wheels
Exterior available on SE
- LED projector-beam headlights with auto on/off feature, LED DRL, 18-inch 5-spoke Sport alloy wheels, Color-keyed heated power outside mirrors with turn signal and blind spot warning indicators and folding feature
Exterior available on Limited
- Front and rear parking sonar, 18-inch 5-spoke SuperChrome alloy wheels, Chrome outside door handles
Exterior available on Limited Hybrid
- Same as Limited
2016 Toyota RAV4 Performance
All gasoline models in the 2016 RAV4 lineup are powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder motor that’s good for 176 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque. This engine is paired to a six-speed automatic transmission that sends power to either the front wheels (with FWD) or all four wheels (with AWD).
The XLE Hybrid and Limited Hybrid models come with hybrid versions of the RAV4’s 2.5-liter engine. This motor has a combined horsepower rating of 194, making it more powerful than the gas-only version. This engine is mated to a continuously variable transmission.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Efficiency
For a compact to mid-size crossover, the 2016 Toyota RAV4 has fairly impressive fuel efficiency ratings, especially if you choose a hybrid model. The 2.5-liter gasoline engine produces 23/30/26 mpg city/highway/combined with FWD, and 22/29/25 mpg city/highway/combined with AWD. This puts it slightly lower than the competition, but still not too shabby.
The hybrid models are another story entirely. Both models offer 34/31/33 mpg city/highway/combined, making them some of the most efficient crossovers on the market.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Interior
Toyota has tried to make the most out of the 2016 RAV4’s available storage space, with more compartments than ever before. Depending on the model, you can choose between cloth and leatherette upholstery, and higher trim levels offer two-tone designs that give the RAV4 a premium feel.
All models get some form of Toyota’s Entune infotainment system, from the most basic version (which includes Bluetooth and a backup camera) to the tricked-out version with navigation and Entune App Suite. From the LE to the Limited, you’ll be entertained no matter how long the journey.
2016 Toyota RAV4 Interior Photos:
Interior available on LE
- Features: Air conditioning with air filter, Backup camera with projected path, ECO and Sport Modes, Day/night rearview mirror, Cruise control, Tilt/telescopic urethane steering wheel with controls, Fabric-trimmed 6-way adjustable driver’s seat with seatback pocket, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat with seatback pocket, Fabric-trimmed 60/40 split reclining fold-flat second-row seat with center armrest, Power windows with driver auto-down, Power door locks with shift-linked automatic lock/unlock feature, Remote keyless entry system, Eight cup/bottle holders, Three 12V auxiliary power outlets
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Audio, 6.1-inch touchscreen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, Six speakers, Auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth®, Integrated backup camera display
Interior available on XLE
- Features: Dual-zone automatic climate control with air filter, Tilt/telescopic leather-trimmed steering wheel with controls, Fabric-trimmed 6-way adjustable driver’s seat with sport bolsters and seatback pocket, 4-way adjustable front passenger seat with sport bolsters and seatback pocket, Power windows with driver auto up/down with jam protection
- Radio and Technology: Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App, Scout® GPS Link App, Siri® Eyes Free, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month complimentary trial, HD Radio™, HD traffic and weather in major metro areas
Interior available on XLE Hybrid
- Features: ECO/Sport/EV modes
- Radio and Technology: Same as XLE
Interior available on SE
- Features: Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, Sport shift lever, Sport doorsill protectors, Sport floor mats, Sport-trimmed shift lever with contrast stitching, SofTex®-trimmed 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Driver and front passenger heated seats, SofTex®-trimmed 60/40 split rear seat, Smart Key System with Push Button Start and remote power liftgate function
- Radio and Technology: Same as XLE Hybrid
Interior available on Limited
- Features: Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Leather-trimmed shift lever with silver accents, SofTex-trimmed 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory function, SofTex-covered sliding center armrest with console storage box
- Radio and Technology: Entune App Suite – includes Destination Search, Facebook Places, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable®, Pandora®, and Yelp®; Real-time info including traffic, weather, fuel prices, sports, and stocks; Navigation; HD predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay; AM/FM cache radio; Gracenote® album cover art
Interior available on Limited Hybrid
- Features: Eco/Sport/EV modes
- Radio and Technology: Same as Limited
2016 Toyota RAV4 Safety
One of the most exciting things about the 2016 RAV4 is the availability of Toyota’s new Safety Sense P package, which offers forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and automatic high-beam headlight control. Aside from that, the RAV4 was named a Top Safety Pick+ by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), and received five stars in crash testing performed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Standard Safety Features
- Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System; driver knee airbag; front passenger seat-cushion airbag; driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags; and front- and second-row Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags (RSCA)
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- 3-point seatbelts in all seating positions, with adjustable front seatbelt anchors
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters
- Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts
- Driver and front passenger seatbelt warning system
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) includes lower anchors and tether anchors on outboard second-row seats
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Star Safety System™— includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop Technology
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Trailer-Sway Control (TSC)
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Engine immobilizer
Winter Safety: Keep your tires in tip-top shape this cold season
- Tim ShultsContributor
Tim Shults is the President of the Shults Auto Group. In his spare time he likes to play golf and spend time with his four daughters. Shults Auto Group is the largest auto group in the Southern tier. With over 400 employees, Shults Auto Group has 11 different dealerships carrying 15 different makes and 2 strictly used car stores, Shults Toyota, Ed Shults Chevrolet Cadillac, Shults Chevrolet of Westfield, Edmond Chevrolet Buick GMC, Ed Shults Ford Lincoln of Jamestown, Kia of Jamestown, Ed Shults Subaru of Warren, Shults Hyundai, Ed Shults Chrysler Dodge Jeep of Warren, Shults Resale, Shults Resale Olean, and Shults Nissan.