2016 Volkswagen Beetle Overview
There’s no denying that the Volkswagen Beetle is a classic model with a lot of history behind it. An iconic name doesn’t mean that this vehicle is stuck in the past, however. With power, advanced features, and comfortable interior, the Beetle is ready to impress the modern car buyer.
The 2016 Volkswagen Beetle is available in five trim levels: S, SE, SEL, R-Line SE, and R-Line SEL.
Come to a Full Stop: Learn about the proper time to change your brakes
What’s New for the 2016 Volkswagen Beetle?
There are lots of cool things happening for the newest Beetle. Trim levels have been simplified with Volkswagen even adding a new trim, Beetle S. Meanwhile, the Volkswagen touchscreen interface can now be found throughout the Beetle trims. Every trim but the new base trim S gets the VW Car-Net App-Connect smartphone connectivity. A new lighting package is available.
2016 Volkswagen Beetle Exterior
The standard lighting system on the 2016 Volkswagen Beetle adds a lot of style and flair to the exterior. Automatic headlights and Automatic Vehicle Illumination both come standard. Every Beetle comes equipped with Halogen headlights with clear, lightweight, chip resistant polycarbonate lenses. You can also opt for the Bi-Xenon high intensity headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights. The Beetle sits on good-looking 16-inch alloy wheels. The rear spoiler adds a nice splash of style.
Exterior available on the S
- Frontvented disc brakes, Rear Spoiler, Rear logo-integrated hatch handle, Heated side mirrors, 16-inch alloy wheels, Front MacPherson struts, Automatic halogen headlights with Coming/Leaving Home feature, Daytime running lights
Additional exterior available on the SE
- Side-mirror-integrated turn signals, Running boards with chrome accents, 17-inch alloy wheels, Heated windshield washer nozzles
Additional exterior available on the SEL
- 18-inch alloy wheels
Additional exterior available on the R-Line SE
- Automatic halogen headlights with Coming/Leaving Home feature, Rear spoiler, Rear logo-integrated hatch handle, 18-inch alloy wheels, Heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Heated windshield washer nozzles, Sport suspension with independent front MacPherson struts, R-line front and rear bumpers, Halogen foglights with low-speed corner-illuminating feature, Daytime running lights
Additional exterior available on the R-Line SEL
- Power tilting/sliding panoramic sunroof, 19-inch wheels, Bi-Xenon high-intensity headlights with LED daytime running lights, LED license plate lighting
2016 Volkswagen Beetle Performance
The base powertrain in the latest Beetle is a refined piece of engineering, good for 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft. It is a 1.8L TSI®, 16-valve, DOHC, in-line 4-cylinder, turbocharged for your pleasure with an intercooler and direct fuel injection. A larger engine can be had for the R-Line that adds forty horsepower and over 20 more lb-ft. of torque. The Beetle is known the world over for its exceptional drivability. The standard Independent MacPherson struts and rear fully independent 4-link suspension no doubt helps the cause as do the front vented disc brakes and rear solid disc brakes.
2016 Volkswagen Beetle Efficiency
EPA-estimates for fuel economy for the 2016 model are not yet available. The 2015 model’s EPA estimates featured 24 city/33 highway mpg with the 1.8-liter engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The 2016 Volkswagen Beetle is expected to have similar efficiency.
2016 Volkswagen Beetle Interior
The interior of the 2016 Volkswagen Beetle is as cool and comfortable as it gets. Relax in standard 6-way manual adjustable, heated front seats. Breathe easy with the Climatic manual single-zone climate control with pollen filter. The luggage compartment is fully upholstered to protect your precious cargo. The dashboard features an attractive carbon fiber appearance. The Composition Color touchscreen sound system and MP3/WMA-compatible CD player come standard.
Interior available on the S
- Interior Features: Height-adjustable and telescoping steering column, Climatic air conditioning, Leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob and brake handle, Power window pinch protection, Self-dimming rearview mirror, Cloth seats, Six-way manual adjust front seats, 50/50-split folding rear seat
- Radio and Technology: USB port, Two 12V power outlets, Bluetooth® audio streaming, Eight speakers, Touchscreen CD/AM/FM sound system with SD card reader
Additional Interior available on the SE
- Interior Features: Multi-color ambient lighting, Illuminated driver and passenger visor vanity mirrors, Driver’s seat adjustable lumbar support, V-Tex leatherette seating, Heated front comfort seats
- Radio and Technology: Rearview camera, Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect™ and connected car suite, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (3-month trial)
Additional Interior available on the SEL
- Interior Features: Keyless access with push-button start
- Radio and Technology: HD Radio™, Voice control
Additional Interior available on the R-Line SE
- Interior Features: Three-color ambient lighting, Three-pod dash-mounted gauge cluster, Height-adjustable and telescoping steering column, Leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob and brake handle, Power window pinch protection, Self-dimming rearview mirror, Illuminated driver and passenger visor vanity mirrors, Climatic air conditioning, Sport cloth seats, Heated six-way manually-adjustable front sport seats, 50/50-split folding rear seat, Brushed aluminum appearance pedal covers, R-Line door sill protectors and badging, Carbon-fiber appearance dashboard and piano black trim
- Radio and Technology: Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect™ and connected car suite, Two 12V power outlets, Bluetooth technology with audio streaming, Eight speakers, Rearview camera, USB port, Touchscreen CD/AM/FM/HD Radio sound system with SD card reader and voice control, SiriusXM Satellite Radio (three-month subscription)
Additional Interior available on the R-Line SEL
- Interior Features: Dark Vanadium R-Line dashboard, Leather seating
- Radio and Technology: Fender® Premium Audio System with eight speakers plus subwoofer
2016 Volkswagen Beetle Safety
When it comes to safety, it all starts with structure of the Volkswagen Beetle. The front end is crash optimized. Every trim is outfitted with the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System and the Intelligent Crash Response System. All in all, it comes as no surprise that the new Beetle won a 5-Star Overall Safety Rating from the NHTSA.
Standard Safety Features
- Post-collision braking system
- Anti-Slip Regulation
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
- Brake Override system
- Electronic Stability control
- Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution
- Driver and front passenger front airbag supplemental restraint system, combined head/thorax side airbag supplemental restraint
- Anti-lock Braking System
- Passenger Occupant Detection