2016 Volkswagen Passat Overview
Despite some rough press surrounding Volkswagen, its popular Passat has returned with a vengeance for the 2016 model year. With some important updates and the same traditional style it’s known for, the 2016 Volkswagen Passat is prepared to make a comeback.
Won’t Let You Down: Which cars did JD Power name the most dependable?
What’s New for the 2016 Volkswagen Passat?
The 2016 Volkswagen Passat receives a mid-cycle refresh for the model year. Changes include new front and rear styling, a refined interior, chrome and black trim, and a new steering wheel with column-stalk design. Higher-level trims come with the new, optional Parking Steer Assistant; a rearview camera and Post-Collision Braking systems are standard features. The Volkswagen Passat also loses its manual transmission.
2016 Volkswagen Passat Exterior
While competitors have gone the extra mile to make their sedans curvy, the Volkswagen Passat maintains its traditional straight-laced style. This boxy sedan comes off as both dynamic and sophisticated without all the fancy styling. While the conservative design won’t be winning any awards for cutting-edge appearance, it remains one of the most traditional midsize sedans on the market.
Exterior trim features available on the 2016 Volkswagen Passat
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat S: Chrome window trim, Electromechanical power steering with variable assistance and active return, Power-operated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Window diversity antenna, Automatic headlights with Coming/Leaving Home feature, Halogen headlights with chip-resistant polycarbonate lenses, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Available Lighting Package, 16″ Carolina alloy wheels, 16″ all-season tires 215/60 R16 95T
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SE: Chrome-tipped exhaust tip, Heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Heated windshield washer nozzles, Power tilting/sliding sunroof, 17″ Knoxville alloy wheels, 17″ all-season tires 215/55 R17 94H
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SE w/ Technology: Stainless steel door sill protectors, Hands-free Easy Open trunk, Power-operated heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Heated windshield washer nozzles, Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SEL: 18″ Chattanooga alloy wheels, 18″ all-season tires 235/45 R18 94H
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SEL Premium: Full LED headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), Halogen reflector lens foglights with low-speed corner-illuminating feature, LED taillights, Power-operated heated power-folding side mirrors with memory and integrated turn signals
2016 Volkswagen Passat Performance
While the 2016 Volkswagen Passat’s exterior may seem old fashioned, what’s under the hood certainly isn’t. The new Passat comes with two gasoline engines: a 1.8-liter turbocharged four cylinder and a 3.6-liter “VR6” V6.
The 1.8-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine puts out an impressive 170 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque from under 2,000 rpm. That makes this engine much peppier than one would think. The only available transmission is a six-speed automatic. The Passat’s six-speed manual transmission was dropped for the 2016 model year.
The 3.6-liter V6 engine is rated for an impressive 280 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque and is only available in the highest trim. With a zero-to-60 mph time of 6.5 seconds and a top speed of 130 mph, this engine comes mated to a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission complete with paddle-shifters.
There’s no clear indication when a turbodiesel Passat will return to the market.
2016 Volkswagen Passat Efficiency
The Volkswagen Passat’s fuel economy takes a hit due to the lack of the 2.0-liter TDI diesel engine. That just leaves the two gasoline engines: the 1.8-liter turbocharged four cylinder and 3.6-liter V6.
- The 1.8-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine earns an EPA-estimated 25 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway.
- The larger 3.6-liter V6 engine earns an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
2016 Volkswagen Passat Interior
Although the 2016 Volkswagen Passat’s exterior doesn’t quite fit the mold, its boxy frame does provide plenty of cargo space in the form of the glove box and door pockets. The trunk comes in near the top of its class with an available 15.9 cubic feet of space. As one would imagine, there’s plenty of legroom in both the front and rear seats, all of which are made for adult-sized passengers.
Seating materials range from synthetic leather upholstery to leather trim and fake suede inserts. For the first time in its history, the Volkswagen Passat offers heated rear seats. Cup holders sit hidden next to the handbrake and the bin in front of the shift lever is designed to hold larger items, like smartphones.
2016 Volkswagen Passat Interior Photos:
Interior trim features available on the 2016 Volkswagen Passat
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat S: Matte Chrome interior trim, Trunk compartment loading edge protection, Blinker control stalk with lane change feature, Climatronic® dual-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter and rear passenger ventilation, Cruise control, Height-adjustable and telescoping steering column, Multi-function steering wheel, Multi-function trip computer, Interior reading lights, 2 radio-frequency remote transmitter key fobs, Left vanity mirror with cover, Power windows with pinch protection, front windows with automatic 1-touch feature, Three 12V power outlets, 6-way manually-adjustable front seats, Driver’s seat with adjustable lumbar support, 60/40-split folding rear seat, Bluetooth® technology with audio streaming for compatible devices, Rearview Camera System, USB port, Touchscreen sound system with CD player, AM/FM radio, and SD memory card reader
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SE: Leather-wrapped shift knob and brake handle; Leather-appearance door trim panels; Sliding center front armrest with storage compartment; Heated front seats; 8-way manual-adjustable driver and front passenger seats, Power-adjustable lumbar support for driver’s seat manually-adjustable for passenger seat; V-Tex leatherette seating surfaces; Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Sliding, illuminated visor vanity mirrors for driver and front passenger, Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect; Two USB audio ports (front and rear center console); Touchscreen sound system with proximity sensor, CD player, AM/FM/HD Radio™, SD memory card reader, and voice control; SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 3-month trial subscription; Volkswagen Car-Net® Security & Service
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SE w/ Technology: Heated front and rear seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Self-dimming rearview mirror with on/off switch, Keyless access with push-button start, Interior ambient lighting, Dual front and dual rear reading lights, Rearview Camera System, 8 speakers, HomeLink® garage door opener integrated into sun visor
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SEL: Leather seating surfaces, 8-way power-adjustable front seats including power lumbar support and driver-seat memory, Front sport comfort seats, Rear center armrest, Sliding, illuminated visor vanity mirrors for driver and front passenger, Brushed stainless steel pedal covers, Stainless steel door sill protectors, Wood and textured aluminum appearance interior trim, Leather-wrapped shift knob and brake handle, Leather-appearance door trim panels, Rear seat pass-through, Fender Premium Audio System with 8 speakers and subwoofer
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat SEL Premium: Remote start, Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist)
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium: Wood and textured aluminum appearance interior trim
2016 Volkswagen Passat Safety
Known for earning some of the top scores in crash tests, the 2016 Volkswagen Passat beefs up on safety equipment this year. Both a rearview camera system and post-collision braking system come standard. Higher trims come with available adaptive cruise control and the new parking assist system.
For the 2016 model year, the Volkswagen Passat earns the IIHS’s Top Safety Pick+ award as well as a five-star overall rating from the NHTSA.
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR)
- Brake override system
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC), including Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
- Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution (EBD)
- Engine Braking Assist (EBA)
- Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
- Automatic Locking Retractors (ALR)
- Crash-optimized pedal controls
- Side Curtain Protection® head airbags, front and rear
- Front safety belts, height-adjustable, with pretensioners and load limiters
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchor points
- Passenger Occupant Detection (PODS)
- Reinforced safety cage construction
- Safety belt Emergency Locking Retractors (ELR) for all seating positions
- Steering wheel, deformable/collapsible upon impact
- 3-point safety belts for all seating positions
- Child safety locks on rear doors
- Anti-theft alarm system with Immobilizer theft-deterrent system
Don’t Like Sedans? Here are five good reasons you should buy a truck