2017 Buick Regal Overview
The 2017 Buick Regal is an entry-level luxury midsize family sedan—the ideal choice of locomotion for drivers seeking a car that does a bit of everything decently well, and that does luxury very well. The Buick Regal is one part fuel-efficient family sedan, one part all-terrain-ready AWD, and one part performance luxury. Among all these strengths, the one thing it lacks is personality, but that’s par for the course with the brand (when’s the last time you saw a Buick get pulled over by a cop?). If you’re looking for a well-rounded sedan that pampers you without breaking the bank and can be fun to drive, but not too fun, the Buick Regal is a solid choice.
The 2017 Buick Regal is available in four trim levels: 1SV, Sport Touring, Premium II, and GS.
Spotlight: All-new 2016 Buick Cascada
What’s New for the 2017 Buick Regal?
The 2017 Buick Regal is mostly unchanged compared to the 2016 model, but for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility and three additional exterior colors. It is slated for a full redesign for 2018.
2017 Buick Regal Exterior
The 2017 Buick Regal is—shall we say it?—a very regal vehicle. In Europe the car is called the Opel Insignia, and its design roots from across the Atlantic are both welcome and unmistakable. The Buick Regal is elegant and sleek, with the signature waterfall grille at the front aiming to catch as many glances as possible. There’s a hint of sportiness there too, courtesy of the low roofline, especially on the GS trim that benefits from standard 19-inch wheels.
The 2017 Buick Regal is offered in the following colors: Summit White, Black Onyx, Quicksilver Metallic, Black Cherry Metallic, Pepperdust Metallic, Ebony Twilight Metallic, Graphite Gray Metallic, Dark Sapphire Blue Metallic, Crimson Red Tintcoat, and White Frost Tricoat.
2017 Buick Regal Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on 1SV:
- 17-inch compact spare steel wheel, 18-inch Silver alloy wheels, Front halogen fog lamps, Daytime running lamps, Black chrome grille with premium finish, HID Headlamps, Power-adjustable outside heated mirrors, Intermittent windshield wipers
Exterior available on Sport Touring (adds to or replaces features on 1SV):
- 18-inch aluminum wheels with black painted pockets, Rear lip spoiler
Exterior available on Premium II (adds to or replaces features on 1SV):
- Bi-Xenon headlamps with LED signature lighting, HiPer Strut Front Suspension
Exterior available on GS (adds to or replaces features on 1SV):
- Dual-outlet stainless-steel exhaust integrated into fascia, GS-specific front and rear appearance features, Body-colored lower rocker moldings, Rear lip spoiler, 19-inch V-Spoke alloy wheel
2017 Buick Regal Performance
The base 2017 Buick Regal is powered by a 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder engine that makes 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque, while all other trims get a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder that cranks out a much more satisfying 259 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. No matter the engine, the Buick Regal is always equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel-drive (FWD) is standard and all-wheel-drive (AWD) is optional on all trims but the 1SV.
2017 Buick Regal Efficiency
The 2017 Buick Regal 1SV gets 19 mpg city, 30 mpg highway, and 23 mpg combined. These are disappointing numbers considering the low performance of the 2.4-liter. Fortunately, the 2.0-liter turbo’s extra performance comes at no cost of mileage: it gets 21/29/24 mpg city/highway/combined with FWD and 19/27/22 mpg with AWD.
2017 Buick Regal Interior
Given that the 2017 Buick Regal is all about coddling its occupants, it’s no surprise that the interior is among the best in the segment. Passengers are treated to first-rate materials and craftsmanship, a sleek dashboard with minimal button clutter, and a full suite of advanced technologies even at the lowest trim level, such as OnStar 4G LTE with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, a premium seven-speaker sound system, and heated front seats with lumbar support. The only stain in what would otherwise be a perfect interior is the reduced rear headroom caused by the low roofline, which is likely to ruin a tall passenger’s hairstyle.
2017 Buick Regal Interior Photos:
Interior available on 1SV:
- Features: 2-way power lumbar driver seat, 4-way manual and 2-way power vertical front passenger seat, Dual-zone automatic climate control air conditioning, Cargo net, Rear window electric defogger, Custom interior lighting, Cruise control, Driver and front passenger Express-Up/Down power windows, 2-way adjustable front head rests, Front auxiliary power outlets, Heated driver and front passenger seats,
- Radio and Technology:2-inch multi-color display, Bluetooth wireless technology, Buick IntelliLink AM/FM/CD/SiriusXM Satellite Radio, OnStar 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, OnStar Basic Plan for 5 years, Rear vision camera, Premium seven speaker audio
Interior available on Sport Touring (adds to or replaces features on 1SV):
- Features: Same as 1SV
- Radio and Technology: Same as 1SV
Interior available on Premium II (adds to or replaces features on 1SV):
- Features: Two-way power lumbar front passenger seat, Eight-way power front passenger seat, 120-volt power outlet, Heated steering wheel
- Radio and Technology: Bose Premium sound system, Buick IntelliLink audio with navigation, Parking Assist rear, EZ Key Passive entry system, Universal home remote
Interior available on GS (adds to or replaces features on 1SV):
- Features: Sport bucket seats, Sport pedals, Leather-wrapped three-spoke Sport steering wheel
- Radio and Technology: Brembo front brakes, Parking Assist front and rear, Eight-inch enhanced multi-color display
2017 Buick Regal Safety
The 2017 Buick Regal is one of the safest midsize sedans on the market. It received top marks from both the NHTSA and the IIHS for its crash test performance, and comes standard with many safety features such as rear-seat side airbags (on the Premium II and GS), full-length side curtain airbags (on all trims), and optional “Driver Confidence” packages that add active safety tech like blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, frontal collision mitigation with automatic braking, and rear cross-traffic alert.
Standard Safety Features
- Air bag system
- LATCH system
- OnStar Basic plan for five years
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Trunk safety latch