2017 Cadillac XTS Overview
When General Motors released the new Cadillac CT6 flagship sedan earlier this year, many automotive publications insisted that move all but signaled the end for the Cadillac XTS. However, Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen recently announced the company is “planning a major refresh” for the XTS sedan. With this surprise announcement, Cadillac will now feature two full-size sedans in its lineup for the foreseeable future, with the XTS coming standard with front-wheel drive and the Cadillac CT6 providing consumers with a rear-wheel drive option. Also, while the CT6 will stand as the brand’s flagship model, the 17-foot-long XTS sedan will deliver competition for other large sedans such as the Audi A6, Hyundai Genesis, and Chrysler 300.
Do You Drive In Snowy Conditions? Discover how all-wheel drive (AWD) can make your car safer
What’s New for the 2017 Cadillac XTS?
The 2017 Cadillac XTS is largely a carryover model from the previous year, but there are a few changes worth mentioning. First off, GM’s popular new Teen Driver technology has found its way into the 2017 XTS. This advanced feature allows parents to set predefined maximum speed limits. If these guidelines are not followed by the secondary driver, then visual and audible alerts will sound to inform the driver they have passed those speed guidelines. In addition, Teen Driver can also mute the radio until the driver fastens their seatbelt. Other new features added to the Cadillac XTS include a new instrument gauge cluster and unique 20-inch wheels that are available on the V-Sport trim.
2017 Cadillac XTS Photos:
2017 Cadillac XTS Exterior
The 2017 Cadillac XTS is a handsome full-size sedan that may not provide sporty exterior looks, but still exudes an air of refinement and offers tons of style. The entry-level model comes standard with LED taillights and 19-inch wheels, but consumers who spend a little more money for the Luxury Collection version will see elegant dual exhausts pipes added to the rear of the vehicle. In addition, a panoramic sunroof is an available option for Luxury and Premium Collection XTS models. Exterior color options for the ’17 Cadillac XTS include Crystal White Tricoat, Stellar Black Metallic, and Phantom Gray Metallic.
2017 Cadillac XTS Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS
- Daytime running lamps, HID headlamps, Power-adjustable heated sideview mirrors, Sport grille, 19-inch aluminum wheels with chrome inserts, Front intermittent structure-less windshield wipers, Roof-mounted antenna
Exterior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS Luxury
- Adds to or replaces features on XTS: 19-inch aluminum wheels with premium paint, Upper and lower auxiliary Daytime Running Lamps, Illuminating door handles, Rainsense™ wipers
Exterior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS Premium Luxury
- Adds to or replaces features on Luxury: Adaptive Forward Lighting Headlamps, IntelliBeam® headlamps, 19-inch polished aluminum wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS Platinum
- Adds to or replaces features on Premium Luxury: Premium finish brake calipers, Platinum grille, 20-inch polished aluminum wheels with chrome inserts, UltraView® power sunroof
Exterior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS V-Sport Premium Luxury
- Adds to or replaces features on Premium Luxury: 20-inch Sterling Silver premium painted wheels
Exterior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum
- Adds to or replaces features on Platinum: 20-inch Sterling Silver premium painted wheels
2017 Cadillac XTS Performance
The 2017 Cadillac XTS sedan comes standard with a 3.6-liter V6 engine rated at 304 horsepower and 264 lb-ft of torque. That engine is paired to a six-speed automatic gearbox, which provides the car with a smooth and steady ride experience. But, for more overall power, that XTS is also available with a turbocharged V6 motor that pumps out 410 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. This optional engine allows for improved acceleration. In addition, the vehicle’s Magnetic Ride Control provides the XTS with excellent cornering capabilities. Consumers should also take into account the standard V6 runs on regular octane fuel, while the turbo motor requires premium gasoline. Moreover, Cadillac estimates the XTS sedan can zip from 0 to 60 mph in less than seven seconds with the standard V6. That’s not too shabby considering the vehicle’s curb weight of more than 4,000 pounds.
2017 Cadillac XTS Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 2017 Cadillac XTS varies greatly depending on the consumer’s choice of engine, as well as the option between front-wheel and all-wheel drive. When equipped with the standard V6, the FWD Cadillac XTS yields EPA-estimated fuel economy of 18 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. That figures drop to 17 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway when the standard V6 is combined with AWD. In addition, despite offering the most power and best acceleration, the turbo V6 provides fuel efficiency of 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. Every 2017 Cadillac XTS comes standard with a 19-gallon fuel tank.
2017 Cadillac XTS Interior
One of the key reasons why the Cadillac XTS sedan has become such a popular model is because of its spacious and comfortable interior cabin. Automotive reviewers from around the web have complimented the XTS sedan’s roomy rear seats that allow multiple six-footers to stretch-out during long rides. In addition, the XTS come standard with many advanced technology features that are just optional in other luxury cars currently on the market. These standard technologies include keyless entry and ignition, an 8-inch color touchscreen, dual-zone automatic climate control, leather upholstery, and an eight-speaker Bose sound system, as well as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. Furthermore, active noise cancellation enhances the comfort of the XTS by providing a quiet interior even when the engine is working at its peak. Furthermore, the trunk offers ample storage room with 18 cubic feet of cargo space.
2017 Cadillac XTS Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS
- Active noise cancellation, Adaptive remote start, Air filtration system, All-weather floor mats, Automatic dual-zone climate control, Collapsible cargo area organizer, Cruise control, Lockable glove box, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Keyless access, Push button start, 60/40 split-folding rear seats, Four-way power lumbar adjusting seat, Leather-wrapped shift lever, Wood trim, Leather-wrapped steering wheel with wood accents, Rear Park Assist, Bluetooth®, Bose® premium sound system, Eight speakers, Cadillac CUE® Information and Media Control System, NavTraffic, OnStar Basic plan for 5 years, OnStar 4G LTE with built-in WiFi hotspot, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, Wireless charging
Interior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS Luxury
- Adds to or replaces features on XTS: Interior LED spotlights with light pipes, Convenience net, Driver memory, Heated steering wheel, Heated driver and front passenger seats, Heated rear seats, Ventilated driver and front passenger seats, Leather-wrapped shift lever with wood, Cadillac CUE® Information and Media Control System with embedded navigation, Rear vision camera
Exterior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS Premium Luxury
- Adds to or replaces features on Luxury: 110-volt power outlet, Automatic tri-zone climate control, Full-color reconfigurable head-up display, Seat thigh adjuster for driver and front passenger seats, Driver Awareness Package, Bose® Studio Surround® 14-speaker sound system, Forward Collision Alert, Memory Package, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert, Surround Vision
Interior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS Platinum
- Adds to or replaces features on Premium Luxury: Leather-wrapped console, Adaptive cruise control, Leather-wrapped door trim, Premium carpet floor mats, 22-way adjustable front bucket seats with massage feature, Microfiber headliner, Leather-wrapped instrument panel top pad, Rear seat armrest audio controls, Rear seat armrest power shade control, Rear side-door manual sunshades, Rear window power sunshade, “Platinum” badging on sill plates, Front and rear automatic braking, Driver Assist Package
Interior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS V-Sport Premium Luxury
- Adds to or replaces features on Premium Luxury: Front and Rear Park Assist, Lane Departure Warning
Interior available on the 2017 Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum
- Adds to or replaces features on Platinum: Front and Rear Park Assist, Lane Departure Warning
2017 Cadillac XTS Safety
The 2017 Cadillac XTS comes standard with stability and traction control, antilock brakes, and a rearview camera. However, if these safety systems aren’t enough to satisfy you, Cadillac also offers a forward collision mitigation system with automatic braking and adaptive cruise control with its Driver Assist package, which is available for the higher-level Premium Collection and V-Sport Premium trims. Thanks to all of its advanced safety equipment and thoughtful engineering, the Cadillac XTS was able to earn the best possible safety rating of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Standard Safety Features
- Air bag with Passenger Sensing System
- Air bags
- Daytime Running Lights
- Rear child security door locks
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Traction Control
- OnStar Automatic Crash Response
- OnStar Crisis Assist
- OnStar Emergency Services
- OnStar Hands-Free Calling
- OnStar Low Mileage Discount
- OnStar Remote Door Unlock
- OnStar Remote Horn and Lights
- OnStar Remote Ignition Block
- OnStar Roadside Assistance
- OnStar Stolen Vehicle Assistance
- OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation
- OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics
Money In Your Pockets: Chrysler is offering rewards to hackers who can find threats to its security systems