2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Overview
It’s no secret that Americans love their pickup trucks, which is proven by the fact that the top-three best-selling vehicles last year in the United States were the Ford F-Series, Chevrolet Silverado, and Ram pickup trucks. These vehicles offer diverse cabin formats, various bed lengths, and also provide the type of towing capabilities that Americans need to perform their everyday jobs. For the 2017 model year, the Crew Cab version of the Silverado 1500 provides class leading towing of 12,500 pounds. In addition, the entry-level version of the Silverado 1500 is relatively affordable with a starting MSRP of less than $30,000.
On A Tight Budget? Use these 3 helpful tips to remove dents without visiting an auto shop
What’s New for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?
The 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 comes with only a few updates for the new model year. First off, GM’s new Teen Driver technology is now a standard feature. Secondly, low-speed autonomous braking is now included in the Enhanced Driver Alert package.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Photos:
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Exterior
The 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 provides a muscular and smooth design that offers a certain amount of style and pizzazz without going over the top. Even the entry-level model comes standard with handsome exterior features such as 17-inch steel wheels, chrome grille surround, and fashionable projector-beam headlamps with LED accents. In addition, consumers with more cash to spend can upgrade to the higher-level LTZ and High Country models that come with LED headlights and 20-inch chrome wheels. Exterior color options for the new Silverado 1500 include Summit White, Deep Ocean Blue Metallic, and Red Hot.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 WT
- 17-inch painted steel wheels, All-season P255/70R17 blackwall tires, Front black bumper, Rear black bumper, Front recovery hooks, Cab mounted cargo area lamps, CornerStep rear bumper, Chrome grille surround, HID projector-beam headlights with LED signature DRL, Solar absorbing tinted glass, Locking tailgate, Daytime running lamps
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 WT: 17-inch stainless-steel clad wheels, Front chrome bumper, Rear chrome bumper, Outside heated power-adjustable mirrors, Deep-tinted glass, Remote locking tailgate
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LS: 17-inch bright-machined aluminum wheels, Body-color bodyside moldings, Rear wheelhouse liners, Body-color mirror caps, Body-color door handles, EZ-lift and lower tailgate
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LT: 18-inch bright-machined aluminum wheels, All-terrain P265/65R18 blackwall tires, Body-color front bumper, Body-color rear bumper, Body-color grille surround, Body-colored headlamp bezels, Thin profile LED fog lamps, Trailering Package, Z71 Appearance Package
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LT Z71: 18-inch bright-machined aluminum wheels, All-season P265/65R18 blackwall tires, Chrome bodyside moldings, LED projector headlamps, LED taillamps, Chrome mirror caps, Chrome door handles
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LTZ: 18-inch bright-machined aluminum wheels, All-terrain P265/65R18 blackwall tires, Body-color front bumper, Body-color rear bumper, Spray-on bedliner, Body-color grille surround, Body-colored headlamp bezels, Z71 Appearance package
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71: 20-inch chrome wheels, All-season P275/55R20 blackwall tires, Six-inch rectangular chromed tubular assist steps, Movable upper cargo tie-downs, IntelliBeam headlamps, High Country brushed metal sill plate
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Performance
Unlike other light-duty pickup trucks, the 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 is not available with a diesel engine option. However, Chevy’s best-selling vehicle does offer three capable engine choices that consumers can select from. The Silverado 1500 comes standard with a 4.3-liter V6 motor that provides 285 horsepower and 305 lb-ft of torque. That engine comes paired a six-speed automatic that sends power to the rear wheels, but that’s only if shoppers don’t upgrade to the available four-wheel drive option. For more power, buyers can also select a 5.3-liter V8 rated at 355 horsepower or go with a 6.2-liter V8 good for 420 ponies. Both of those engines can be matched to an eight-speed automatic transmission. Furthermore, when equipped with the 6.2-liter V8, the Crew Cab model can tow up to 12,500 pounds.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Efficiency
While it’s true most people don’t buy trucks for their fuel economy, that doesn’t mean it isn’t an important attribute. In fact, Chevy is so focused on providing the best fuel efficiency possible that all three available engines feature GM’s Active Fuel Management technology. This tech can shut off four of the engine’s eight cylinders during times of light driving. This puts less stress on the engine and helps save gasoline. For those consumers who are seeking the most efficient Silverado 1500 possible, the base model equipped with the 4.3-liter V6 and six-speed automatic yields an EPA-estimated 18 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. In contrast, consumers who opt for the 6.2-liter V8 and 4WD will experience fuel efficiency of 15 mpg in the city and 20 mpg on the highway.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Interior
The 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 offers numerous cabin formats that are designed to accommodate multiple needs. The regular cab model provides seating for three passengers, while the larger double cab and crew cab variants offer seating for up to six people. In addition, every 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 comes standard with luxury amenities like air conditioning, cruise control, and an AM/FM stereo system. For increased luxury, the range-topping High-Country trim includes a premium sound system, leather upholstery, and navigation system. Furthermore, the cabin is quiet and comfortable thanks to triple-seal inlaid doors and a specially tuned exhaust system.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 WT
- Front 40/20/40 split-bench seat, Graphite-colored rubberized-vinyl floor covering, Manual tilt-wheel steering column, Single-zone manual air conditioning, 60/40 rear folding bench seat, Graphite-colored rubberized-vinyl floor covering, Driver information center; Audio system with 4.2-inch diagonal color screen with AM/FM, USB ports and auxiliary jack; 6-speaker audio system; Teen Driver mode; Tire pressure monitoring
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 WT: Remote keyless entry, Chevrolet MyLink1 audio system with seven-inch diagonal color touch screen, AM/FM with USB ports (2) and auxiliary jack; Bluetooth for phone; OnStar 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot; OnStar®1 Guidance Plan for 3 months
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LS: Front 40/20/40 split-bench seat with under seat storage, Color-keyed carpeting, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Steering wheel audio controls, Visor vanity mirrors, Driver information center with 4.2-inch diagonal color display, Chevrolet MyLink® audio system with 8-inch diagonal color touch screen, Single-slot CD/MP3 player, HD radio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, Rear vision camera
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71
- Contains the same interior features as the Silverado 1500 LT.
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LT Z71: Front 40/20/40 leather-appointed split-bench seat, Heated driver and front passenger seating, Manual tilt and telescoping steering column, Driver personalization memory for seat and mirrors, Dual-zone automatic climate control air conditioning, Inside rearview auto-dimming mirror, Remote vehicle starter system, Universal home remote, Rear-window defogger, 110-volt AC power outlet
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
- Contains the same interior features as the Silverado 1500 LTZ.
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country
- Adds to or replaces features on Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71: Wireless charging, Power-adjustable pedals, Heated steering wheel, Carpeted front and rear floor mats, Floor console, Heated and vented seating, Front full-feature leather-appointed bucket seats, Enhanced Driver Alert package, Safety alert seat, Lane keep assist, Forward collision alert, Front and rear park assist, Bose sound system, Chevrolet MyLink® audio system with 8-inch diagonal color touch with navigation
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Safety
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration awarded the new Chevy Silverado 1500 with its highest overall safety rating of five stars. Antilock brakes, stability control, and six airbags all come standard on every ‘17 Silverado 1500. In addition, other advanced safety features like forward collision alert, side blind zone alert, and lane keep assist are also offered with the Silverado 1500.
Standard Safety Features
- Tire pressure monitoring
- Teen Driver mode
- Daytime running lamps
- Six standard airbags
Compare and Contrast: See for yourself how the 2017 Silverado compares with the 2016 model