2017 Chevrolet Sonic Overview
Ch-ch-ch-ch-chaaanges are in store for the 2017 Chevrolet Sonic. This year, the popular and cost-effective small car has undergone a lot of changes compared to last year’s model. With a new, more modern style, a generous number of standard features, and excellent crash test ratings, this car is better than ever—and definitely ready to lead the pack in its segment. If you’re looking for a great everyday car for your daily commute, look no further than the fuel-efficient 2017 Sonic.
The Big Debut: Find out about the Chevy Sonic’s Big Apple debut
What’s New for the 2017 Chevrolet Sonic
For the 2017 model year, the Chevrolet Sonic has undergone a number of changes. Outside, this small car has new LED daytime running lights and project-style headlights. The Sonic now also comes standard with a rearview camera, a 7-inch touchscreen, and the newest version of Chevy’s MyLink infotainment system. Its range-topping trim level is also now called Premier, and the RS trim level is now an add-on package for LT and Premier sedans, rather than being its own trim. There are also two new package offerings: the Convenience package for the LT trim and the Dusk appearance package.
The 2017 Chevrolet Sonic is offered in three trims: LS, LT, and Premier. All trims are offered in sedan configuration and the LT and Premier are also offered in hatchback configuration.
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Photos:
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Exterior
Whether you choose the sedan or the hatchback body, the 2017 Sonic has style. An updated design has an entirely new hood, front fascia, and LED daytime running lights, which adds a touch of class that the last model was lacking. This small car is already athletic, but you can increase its sporty look with the RS package, which includes rocker moldings and a rear spoiler. Even without this package, though, the Sonic’s sleek lines and sharp angles help create a silhouette that makes it one heck of a looker.
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on the LS:
- Solar-absorbing tinted glass, Automatic on/off headlamp control, Manually-adjustable body-color side mirrors, P195/65R all-season blackwall tires, Compact spare tire, 15-inch steel wheels
Exterior available on the LT:
- Heated power-adjustable body-color side mirrors, 15-inch aluminum wheels, Chrome belt-line moldings
Exterior available on the Premier:
- Front fog lamps, P205/50R17 all-season blackwall tires, 17-inch painted Black aluminum wheels, Rear integrated decklid spoiler, RS Package
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Performance
For a standard engine on LS and LT models, consumers will get a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine that generates a peppy 138 horsepower and 125 lb-ft of torque. It comes with a standard five-speed manual transmission, though a six-speed automatic is an available option.
The standard engine for the Premier trim level—and an optional engine on the LT—is a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder. This engine adds a bunch of torque, increasing the lb-ft to 148. The 138 horsepower is the same as the base engine. With this engine a six-speed manual is standard, while a six-speed automatic is once again optional.
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Efficiency
The 2017 Sonic has an excellent fuel-efficiency rating of 25 mpg city and 33 mpg highway with the manual transmission. When you switch to the automatic transmission, the Sonic gets 24 mpg city and 34 mpg highway. For the turbocharged 1.4-liter engine, the manual model gets 28 mpg city and 38 mpg highway, while the automatic comes in with a 27 mpg city and 36 mpg highway rating.
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Interior
Because the 2017 Sonic has such a low starting price, the interior in the lower trims looks a bit cheap with the abundant use of hard plastics. It makes up for this, though, with a sleek, modern design and plenty of interior room. Even tall drivers can find the perfect, comfortable driving position. The rear seats also have plenty of head- and legroom, even for adults.
As a whole, the dashboard design is aesthetically appealing and well laid out. The standard 7-inch touchscreen has the newest version of Chevy’s MyLink infotainment system, which allows drivers to integrate their smartphone through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. When it comes to cargo space, though, the Sonic truly shines with 14 cubic feet of trunk space, which is one of the largest in its class.
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Interior Photos:
Interior available on the LS:
- Steering wheel audio and phone interface controls, Single-zone manual air conditioning, Overhead courtesy rear and dual front reading lamps, Trunk/cargo area lighting, Compass, Front bucket seats, Rear 60/40 split-folding seat bench with outboard height-adjustable headrests, Four-way manual driver seat adjuster, Front passenger two-way manual seat adjuster, Three-spoke sport steering wheel, Front passenger seatback map pocket, Inside remote trunk release, Power door locks, Auxiliary power outlet, Tilt and telescopic steering column, Outside temperature sensor with display, Remote Keyless Entry
- Chevrolet MyLink radio with seven-inch color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo with seek scan and digital clock, USB port, Four-speaker audio system, Tire Pressure Monitor System, Oil life monitoring system, Auxiliary audio input jack, Driver Information Center with compass, OnStar® with 4G LTE and build-in Wi-Fi hotspot
Interior available on the LT:
- Deluxe cloth seat trim, Electronic cruise control with set and resume speed, Power windows
- Six-speaker audio system
Interior available on the Premier:
- Heated driver and front passenger seats, Driver six-way power seat adjuster, Three-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel, Carpeted front and rear deluxe floor mats
- Enhanced Driver Information Center
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Safety
Safety is key in the 2017 Sonic sedan, which received a perfect five-star overall safety rating in government crash tests. The Sonic has a slew of standard and available technology. The available technology includes the Driver Confidence, which has forward collision warning and lane departure warning.
A full list of standard safety features can be found below.
- Dual-stage front airbags for driver and front passenger, including Passenger Sensing System
- Roof-rail head curtain airbags for side-front and rear outboard seating positions with rollover protection
- Seat-mounted thorax side-impact airbags for side-front and rear outboard seating positions
- Knee airbags for driver and front passenger
- Brake Assist
- Four-wheel antilock brakes
- LED Daytime Running Lamps
- Rear child security door locks
- Electronic brake force distribution
- Hill Start Assist
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) for child safety seats
- OnStar® Basic Plan for five years
- OnStar® Guide Plan for three months
- Rear Vision Camera
- Three-point safety belts in all rear seating positions; height-adjustable for driver and front passenger
- StabiliTrack® stability control system
- Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Traction control
- Trunk emergency release handle
Cheaper Technology: Get Chevy’s 4G LTE at a cheaper price