2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Overview
When SUVs first began, automakers looked at their trucks and thought, “What if we put some seats and upholstery where the bed is and a roof overhead? That would give us the toughness and style of a truck with the capability of a van.”
The 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe is the youngest member of that long history of truck-based SUVs.
Driving Squirrely? You may need new tires
What’s New for the 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe?
For 2017, the Tahoe’s top trim level has been renamed Premier, and the SUV gets a collection of new features, such as low-speed automatic braking tied to the forward collision warning system, Chevrolet’s Teen Driver software, GM’s backseat check reminder, an updated rear entertainment system, and ventilated seats (rather than simply cooled seats).
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Photos:
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Exterior
The Chevrolet Tahoe is as tough as its truck underpinnings, and shares its general body shape with the Silverado but its looks with the Suburban. It comes standard with 18-inch wheels, roof-mounted luggage rails, heated outside mirrors, assist steps, and even a 17-inch steel spare wheel.
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
- Power-adjustable heated side mirrors, Luggage rack side rails, 18-inch all-season tires with aluminum finish, 17-inch spare tire, Hidden rear wiper, Manual rear liftgate
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
- Power rear liftgate
Exterior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
- Body color side moldings, power-folding side mirrors, 20-inch all-season tires with aluminum finish, Fog lamps, High-Intensity Discharge headlamps, Hands-free power liftgate
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Performance
Every 2017 Chevy Tahoe is powered by a 5.3-liter Ecotec3 V8 engine, which delivers 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque to either two or four wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. That powertrain gives the 2017 Tahoe a maximum conventional trailering load of 6,600 pounds, for a GVWR of 7,100 pounds. That trailering figure can be boosted all the way up to 8,600 pounds with the Max Trailering Package.
However, in late 2017 the Chevy Tahoe is available in the RST edition with an available Performance Package, which swaps that 5.3-liter V8 for a huge 6.2-liter Ecotec3 V8, which offers 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, and which will be connected to a 10-speed automatic transmission and Performance Calibrated Magnetic Ride suspension.
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Efficiency
With its big V8 engine, the 2017 Tahoe gets an EPA-estimated 16 mpg while in the city and either 22 or 23 mpg on the highway, depending on whether the Tahoe uses two-wheel drive (to the rear wheels) or four-wheel drive.
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Interior
With the Tahoe, Chevrolet is striving to offer a large and versatile space. It comes with three rows of seating, which can fold flat or be removed to offer up to 94.7 cubic feet of space. For passengers, though, the Tahoe can be equipped with up to seven USB ports, a conventional three-prong outlet, and of course the GM lineup’s OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi®.
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
- 110-volt power outlet, Automatic climate control, 60/40 split-folding second-row bench seats, Electric rear-window defogger, Steering-wheel mounted audio and cruise controls, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Tilt-wheel steering column, CD/MP3 player, Chevrolet MyLink Audio System, 6-speaker audio system, OnStar with 4G LTE Wi-Fi, Electronic cruise control, 4.2-inch diagonal Driver Information Center, Remote keyless entry
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
- Five auxiliary power outlets, Inside auto-dimming rearview mirror, Leather-appointed front bucket seats, Manual tilt-and-telescopic steering column, Power-adjustable pedals, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Keep Assist, Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking, Safety Seat Alert, Bose 9-speaker system, Memory settings, Remote vehicle start system, Universal Home Remote
Interior available on the 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
- Heated steering wheel, Heated and power-release second row bucket seats, Power-folding 60/40-split third row bench, Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column, Front and Rear Park Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert, Chevrolet MyLink with Navigation, Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound Premium 10-speaker system, Wireless charging for mobile devices, Keyless entry
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Safety
Chevrolet offers a number of safety systems for the Tahoe, including low speed front automatic braking, a vibrating safety alert seat, side blind zone alerts, rear cross traffic alert, and a number of OnStar remote services. The IIHS has not yet tested the 2017 Tahoe, but the NHTSA gave the 2017 Tahoe a four-star rating (out of five), with perfect scores in frontal crash and side crash tests, but a three out of five star rating in rollover tests.
Standard Safety Features
- Automatic Occupant Sensing System
- Daytime Running Lamps
- Airbag system
- Electrical theft-deterrent system
- LATCH child safety system
- Rear Park Assist
- Rear Vision Camera
- Teen Driver Mode
- Tire Pressure Monitoring
- OnStar Safety Response Suite
- 3-month subscription to OnStar Guidance Plan
Keeping It Rolling: You can’t forget this crucial truck maintenance this summer