2017 Ford Fiesta Overview
The 2017 Ford Fiesta is a fun and versatile subcompact notable for its great value despite being the least expensive car in Ford’s lineup. It delivers driving fun and modern infotainment in a small package and offers a performance trim for sportier driving.
The 2017 Ford Fiesta is offered as either a sedan or a hatchback in four trim levels: S, SE, Titanium, and ST. The ST comes in hatchback form only. All models are front-wheel-drive (FWD).
How Does it Compare? 2016 Ford Fiesta overview
What’s New for the 2017 Ford Fiesta?
The 2017 Ford Fiesta is mostly unchanged compared to the 2016 model, except for the elimination of several previously available option packages and the addition of new colors, including the Orange Spice Metallic Tri-Coat available exclusively on the ST model.
2017 Ford Fiesta Exterior
Cars that bear the “subcompact” and “affordable” tags tend to be best described as unattractive and weirdly disproportionate. Ford, on the other hand, is determined to go against the norm with the 2017 Ford Fiesta. The car is attractive whether as a sedan or a hatchback, boasting a sporty style that never catches the eye for the wrong reasons. The ST trim has even more head-turning potential thanks to its larger wheels and tires, chrome exhaust pipes, signature badging and tri-coat Orange Spice paint.
The 2017 Ford Fiesta is available in the following colors: Blue Candy, Ruby Red, Magnetic, Chrome Copper, Ingot Silver, Bohai Bay Mint, White Platinum Metallic, Shadow Black, Oxford White, and Orange Spice (ST only).
2017 Ford Fiesta Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on S:
- Black beltline, Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler, Twin-chamber quad-beam halogen bright reflector headlamps with black bezel and chrome highlights, Chrome upper grille bars and surround, Side view mirrors with integrated blind spot mirrors, Solar tinted glass, Acoustic-laminate windshield, 15-inch steel wheels with silver-painted covers, Mini steel spare wheel, P185/60R15 all-season black sidewall tires, Intermittent front windshield wipers with anti-drip wipe
Exterior available on SE:
- 15-inch sparkle silver-painted aluminum wheels
Exterior available on Titanium:
- Chrome beltline, Power-adjustable side view mirrors with turn signal indicators and integrated blind spot mirrors, Fog lamps with chrome-trimmed ring, Twin-chamber quad-beam halogen bright reflector headlamps with chrome-surround bezel, 16-inch premium sparkle nickel-painted aluminum wheels, P195/50R16 all-season black sidewall tires
Exterior available on ST:
- Black diffuser, Power-adjustable heated side view mirrors with turn signal indicators and integrated blind spot mirrors, Twin chrome-tipped exhaust, Fog lamps with black bezels, Mesh grille insert, Rear windshield wiper, Unique body-color side rocker moldings, Unique high-mounted rear spoiler, Unique ST logo front door sill plates, 17-inch Rado Gray-painted aluminum wheels, Full-size spare tire, Performance summer tires and performance brakes with track pads
2017 Ford Fiesta Performance
By default, the 2017 Ford Fiesta is motivated by a 1.6-liter four-cylinder available with a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic. It makes 120 horsepower and 112 lb-ft of torque, which is enough to pass people on the highway without too much of a fuss. Alternatively, the Ford Fiesta can be equipped with a 1.0-liter three-cylinder turbocharged engine that makes 123 horsepower and 125 lb-ft of torque despite its smaller size. Those looking to have as much fun as $21,000 can buy, however, should opt for the Fiesta ST, which uses a 1.6-liter turbo four-cylinder to crank out 197 horsepower and 202 lb-ft of torque. Be warned, however: the ST is for true enthusiasts and available only with a six-speed manual.
2017 Ford Fiesta Efficiency
The 2017 Ford Fiesta gets excellent fuel economy across the range. The base 1.6-liter is rated by the EPA at 27/35/30 mpg city/highway/combined when equipped with the five-speed manual and 27/37/31 mpg with the six-speed automatic. Even more impressive is the 1.0-litre, which despite producing more power is rated at 31/41/35 mpg, making it perfect for the eco-conscious driver. Meanwhile, the ST’s 1.6-liter turbo gets 26/33/29 mpg, an acceptable compromise given the added fun factor.
2017 Ford Fiesta Interior
Ford probably figured that getting adults to fit comfortably in the rear seat of a subcompact would be a lost cause no matter how ingenious their engineers and thus focused on making the cargo area as voluminous as possible. The sedan has 60/40-folding rear seats and the hatchback offers more than 25 cubic feet of space with the rear seats folded, making it easy to fit large items in the back. On the other hand, the 2017 Ford Fiesta is quite comfortable at the front and the materials feel good to the touch all around. Even on the lowest trim, the Fiesta still offers SYNC AppLink, keyless entry, and dual USB inputs. With all options checked, the Fiesta starts to feel positively luxurious thanks to heated leather seats, automatic climate control, SYNC 3 infotainment technology, a power moonroof, and more. Those opting for the ST trim will be able to sit in comfortable, height-adjustable Recaro seats.
Interior colors for the 2017 Ford Fiesta include Charcoal Black, Medium Light Stone (sedan only), and Molten Orange and Smoke Storm (ST only).
2017 Ford Fiesta Interior Photos:
Interior available on S:
- Features: Ice Blue® cluster lighting, Illuminated lighting for glove box and load compartment, Rear seat heat ducts, Rear window defroster, Four-way manual front-passenger seat, 60/40 split rear seat, Six-way manual driver’s seat, Cloth front bucket bolster seats, Day/night rearview mirror, Cell phone holder and three cupholders in front center floor console
- Radio and Technology: 12-volt auxiliary front powerpoint, Auxiliary input jack, Multifunctional message center with LCD screen, AM/FM/stereo/single-CD/MP3 capability, SYNC® with SYNC Applink®
Interior available on SE:
- Features: Ambient lighting, Chrome door release handles, Overhead console, Power windows with driver one-touch up-down feature, Rear dome lamp, Upgraded cloth front bucket bolster seats
- Radio and Technology: 12-volt auxiliary rear powerpoint, Cruise control, MyKey®, Trip computer
Interior available on Platinum:
- Features: Electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror, Leather-wrapped shift knob with metallic-trim insert (manual only), Driver’s seat adjustable lumbar support, Heated front seats, Leather-trimmed and heated front bucket seats
- Radio and Technology: Electronic automatic temperature control, Intelligent access with push-button start, Reverse Sensing System, SiriusXM® radio, Eight-speaker Sony® audio system with HD Radio™ technology, SYNC® 3, Two smart charging USB ports, Rearview camera
Interior available on ST:
- Features: Electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror, Leather-wrapped and perforated steering wheel, Race-inspired aluminum pedals, Leather-wrapped shift knob with metallic-trim insert (manual only), Rear carpeted floor mats with embroidered ST logo, Cloth front sport seat with ST badge, Driver’s seat adjustable lumbar support
- Radio and Technology: Intelligent access with push-button start, SiriusXM® radio, Eight-speaker Sony® audio system with HD Radio™ technology, SYNC® 3, Two smart charging USB ports, Three-mode AdvanceTrac® electronic stability control
2017 Ford Fiesta Safety
The 2017 Ford Fiesta received four out of five stars for overall safety in government crash tests, including five stars for side-impact protection and four stars for front-impact protection. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave it the highest possible rating of “Good” in all of its crashworthiness evaluations, except in the small overlap front crash test, where it received the second-lowest “Marginal” rating. In testing by Edmunds.com, the Fiesta stopped from 60 mph in 117 to 122 feet, a better-than-average performance.
Upgrading to the SE trim adds the ability to set electronic parameters for other drivers, such as teens and valets, and upgrading to the Fiesta Titanium adds rear parking sensors and a rearview camera.
Standard Safety Features
- Three-point height-adjustable seatbelts for all seating positions
- AdvanceTrac® electronic stability control
- Battery saver
- Belt-Minder® front seatbelt reminder
- Child safety rear door locks
- Seven standard airbags including side-curtain airbags and driver’s knee airbag
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child safety seat anchors
- Personal Safety System™
- Side-intrusion door beams
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Perimeter alarm
- Remote keyless entry
- SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system
Performance 101: What does torque mean?