2017 Ford Taurus Overview
The 2017 Ford Taurus is a large five-passenger sedan that offers a little bit of everything with an emphasis on performance. It’s big and comfy and fitted with a spacious trunk, comes with available all-wheel-drive and a truly sporty SHO trim, offers the latest infotainment technologies, and has earned top safety marks by both the NHTSA and IIHS. In other words, if you’re looking for large, comfortable, able family-friendly cruiser, the Ford Taurus should be on your shopping list.
The 2017 Ford Taurus is offered in four trim levels: SE, SEL, Limited, and SHO.
Compare It: 2016 Ford Taurus sedan overview
What’s New for the 2017 Ford Taurus?
The 2017 Ford Taurus is almost identical to the previous 2016 model, aside from new color choices and optional 20-inch wheels on the SHO trim.
2017 Ford Taurus Exterior
You might not be able to tell from the pictures, but the 2017 Ford Taurus is a big car—almost as long as some full-size SUVs. It’s not the pictures that are misleading, though, as even in person the Ford Taurus’ size can surprise. Its high beltline, athletic profile and tight body lines help the car seem smaller than it really is while simultaneously giving it an aggressive look, especially with the 20-inch wheels and tires available on the SHO trim. Because its sleek profile and low roof are paired with a high seated position, drivers in the Ford Taurus gets to experience a quite unusual combination: a commanding view of the road and relatively low outward visibility.
Color choices for the 2017 Ford Taurus include Smoked Quartz, Magnetic, Blue Jeans, Ruby Red, White Platinum, Ingot Silver, Oxford White, White Gold, and Shadow Black.
2017 Ford Taurus Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on SE:
- 18-inch painted aluminum wheels, Dual chrome exhaust tips, Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler, Black-accented power-folding sideview mirrors with integrated blindspot mirror, LED taillamps, Delayed Acessory Lighting, Body-color door handles, Laminated side security solar-tinted glass, Fixed interval wipers
Exterior available on SEL (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Body-color power-folding heated sideview mirrors with security approach lamps and integrated blindspot mirror, Supplemental parking lamps
Exterior available on Limited (adds to or replaces features on SEL):
- 19-inch premium painted aluminum wheels, Auto high beam headlamps, Auto-dimming driver sideview mirror, Chrome power-folding heated sideview mirrors with security approach lamps and memory, Rain-sensing wipers, Front-door sill plates with bright metal insert
Exterior available on SHO (adds to or replaces features on Limited):
- 20-inch machined aluminum wheels with premium painted pockets, EcoBoost® badge, Dual exhaust system with chrome exhaust tips, HID headlamps, Piano black power-folding heated sideview mirrors with security approach and memory, Rear spoiler
2017 Ford Taurus Performance
Performance is where the 2017 Ford Taurus truly shines, as all three of the available engines deliver excellent power. The standard engine across all trims except the SHO is a 3.5-liter V6 that makes 288 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque. The only available transmission is a six-speed automatic, which comes with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters on all Ford Taurus models but the base SE trim.
Optional on the SE, SEL, and Limited is a 2.0-liter EcoBoost® turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 240 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque, available only on front-wheel-drive (FWD) models.
The performance-oriented 2017 Ford Taurus SHO comes standard with all-wheel-drive (AWD) and an exclusive 3.5-liter EcoBoost® twin-turbocharged V6 engine that makes 365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque, allowing it to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in an estimated 5.2 seconds.
2017 Ford Taurus Efficiency
As expected, turbocharged EcoBoost® engines are more efficient than the standard V6 for the amount of power they produce. With FWD, the base V6’s EPA-estimated fuel economy is 18/27/21 mpg city/highway/combined; with AWD, those numbers go down to 17/24/19 mpg.
Meanwhile, the 2.0-liter EcoBoost® four-cylinder gets an estimated 20/29/23 mpg and the 3.5-liter EcoBoost® V6 gets 16/24/19 mpg. That’s only one fewer city mpg compared to the base engine with AWD, which shows just how efficient twin turbochargers can be.
2017 Ford Taurus Interior
As you may have expected from the large exterior, the 2017 Ford Taurus’ interior is quite spacious, with plenty of headroom and legroom both at the front and rear even for adults. The dash’s dual-cowl design is excellent, which makes it an even greater shame that the materials are a bit dated compared to the competition. That’s about the only fault you could find inside the Ford Taurus, however, as the technology is anything but dated, with an available SYNC 3 eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system and integrated Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability. The trunk is vary spacious as well: you get 20.1 cubic feet of room by default and even more if necessary by lowering the 60/40-split folding rear seats.
2017 Ford Taurus Interior Photos:
Interior available on SE:
- Features: Power windows with one-touch-up/down driver’s feature and rear window defroster, Power remote trunk release, Ice Blue® lighting for instrumentation, Six-way power driver and passenger seats with manual recline and lumbar, 60/40 split fold down rear seats, Cloth seating surfaces
- Radio and Technology: Remote Keyless Entry System, AM/FM/CD/MP3 player with clock, Ford SYNC®, Rearview camera, MyKey®, Three 12-volt outlets
Interior available on SEL (adds to or replaces features on SE):
- Features: Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Outside temperature display, Leather-wrapped shift knob with chrome insert, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Manual tilt/telescopic steering column, Unique cloth seating surfaces
- Radio and Technology: Reverse Sensing System, Integrated Remote Start System, SiriusXM® satellite radio with six-month trial subscription, Perimeter alarm
Interior available on Limited (adds to or replaces features on SEL):
- Features: Ambient lighting, Branded front floor mats, Intelligent Access with push-button start, Power-adjustable pedals with memory, Power rear window sunshade, Power windows with one-touch-up/down driver’s feature with global open feature and rear window defroster, Wood and leather-trimmed steering wheel, Storage cargo net, Universal garage door opener, Heated steering wheel, 10-way power driver and passenger seats, Driver’s seat dual memory settings, Second-row heated seats, Heated and cooled front seats, Perforated leather-trimmed seats
- Radio and Technology: BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert, 12-speaker Audio System from Sony® with Clear Phase® and Live Acoustic, SYNC® 3, HD Radio™ technology
Interior available on SHO (adds to or replaces features on SHO):
- Features: Aluminum pedals, Power tilt/telescopic steering column, Perforated leather-trimmed seats with SHO graphics
- Radio and Technology:Same as Limited
2017 Ford Taurus Safety
The 2017 Ford Taurus earned the highest five-star rating for overall safety in government crash tests as well as the highest score of “Good” in all of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) crashworthiness evaluations.
In addition to all of the usual standard safety features, such as airbags, anti-lock brakes and stability control, the Ford Taurus also comes with a standard rearview camera and emergency telematics, as well as Ford MyKey, which allows owners to set driving parameters for teen drivers and valets. Rear parking sensors are also standard on all but the base trim.
Optional safety features for the Limited and SHO trims include lane departure warning and intervention, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, automated parallel parking, and forward collision warning with brake assist.
Standard Safety Features
- SecuriCode™ invisible keyless entry pad
- Personal Safety System®
- Child safety rear door locks
- Front seat side-impact airbags
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Safety Canopy System®
- Individual Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Seat belt pretensioners
- AdvanceTrac® with Electronic Stability Control
- Perimeter lighting
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system
- Illuminated entry
Already Have a Car? Here’s how to increase your trade-in value