2017 Genesis G90 Overview
Luxurious Hyundai Equus transforms into the 2017 Genesis brand flagship sedan
The newly-launched 2017 Genesis G90 has just arrived at dealerships, and already it’s turning heads. Recently named this year’s “Best Luxury Sedan” by Ruedas ESPN, the Genesis G90 is carrying the flag for the newly-formed Genesis brand. Promising to bring the future of connected car technology to buyers at an affordable price, the G90 is packed with razzle-dazzle at a price much lower than its competition.
European Influence: What does the debut of the new i10 have to do with the future of Hyundai?
What’s New for the 2017 Genesis G90?
While some consider the Hyundai Equus as the predecessor of 2017 G90, the two luxury sedans share little in common–which is smart considering how sales of the Equus never took off. The brand-new G90 starts on its own footing–unlike the G80 which is just a rebadged Hyundai Genesis–with a redesigned body, enhanced performance, and a slew of standard features that competitors only offer as optional add-ons.
The introduction of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integration across Genesis and Hyundai lineups also reaches the 2017 G90.
The 2017 Genesis G90 is offered in two trim levels: 3.3T and 5.0. Both come in standard rear-wheel drive with optional HTRAC All Wheel Drive.
2017 Genesis G90 Exterior
The most unique aspect of the Genesis flagship sedan’s body design is its wide front end with prominent hood and uniquely-shaped grille. Apart from that, its low curb height, extended wheelbase, and rounded edges are all typical of executive-class luxury sedans like the G90. While it’s a respectable, refined approach, it doesn’t stand out from the crowd in terms of visual identity. But if that’s what you’re looking for as a buyer, you’ll find it here.
2017 Genesis G90 Photos:
Exterior features included on the 2017 Genesis G90:
- 3.3T Trim: Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlights, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED Position Lamps, Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) LED Type, LED Turn Signal Indicators, Heated auto-dimming side mirrors with Genesis Logo approach lights, Power folding side mirrors, Windshield-wiper deicer, rain-sensing wipers with auto-defogging windshield, Power Door Closure, Hands-Free Smart Trunk with Auto Open, Power Trunk Lid
- 5.0 Trim: Full LED Headlights with Dynamic Bending Light (DBL)
2017 Genesis G90 Performance
The heart that beats inside the G90 is one that will keep this premium performance sedan running with the pack. Not wanting to be the weaker beast on the road, the G90 boasts two powerful engine options: a 3.3-liter DOHC 24-valve Twin Turbo V6 in the 3.3T trim and a 5.0-liter DOHC 32-valve D-CVVT Tau V8 in the 5.0 trim. Both are paired to a standard eight-speed electronic automatic transmission with paddle shifters.
The V6 engine churns out 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque, while the V8 takes it a step further to a whopping 420 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. The G90 does not mess around.
2017 Genesis G90 Efficiency
For as high-performance as the engines of the 2017 G90 are, the fuel efficiency isn’t terrible. Clocking in at around the same rate as its competition, the V6 reaches an estimated 20 mpg combined (no difference between AWD or RWD), while the V8 gets 18 or 19 mpg (AWD vs RWD, respectively). This amounts to between 15-17 mpg in the city and 23-24 mpg on the highway, depending on which option you choose.
2017 Genesis G90 Interior
The 2017 G90 doesn’t disappoint when it comes to its cabin, both in refined construction and a surplus of features. While most automakers expect buyers to pay extra for snazzy hi-tech options–either in the form of add-on packages or higher-level trims, the G90 offers nearly everything standard–even on its 3.3T base trim. This generosity is bound to appeal to premium buyers on a budget, who will be impressed by the G90’s low starting price.
The cabin is also filled with premium leather touches and wood-like accents that further bolster its refined appeal. Being unusually spacious and able to seat five passengers, the G90 is a joy to drive and ride in.
2017 Genesis G90 Interior Photos:
Interior features included on the 2017 Genesis G90:
- 3.3T Trim: Nappa leather seating surfaces, Heated & ventilated front seats, Heated Rear Seats (Outboard Seats), Rear integrated controls on rear center armrest, 3-Zone+ automatic temperature control with AQS and CO2 sensor, AM/FM/HD Radio®/SiriusXM®/MP3, Lexicon®17-speaker 7.1 Discrete surround-sound audio system (with Quantum Logic® Surround & Clari-Fi™ Music Restoration Technology), 12.3-inch HD Navigation System with Driver Information System + NavTraffic + SiriusXM® Data Services + Gracenote, MP3 Auxiliary Input Jacks (center console mounted), Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System with Audio Streaming, Smart Cruise Control with Stop/Start, Wireless device charging in front seating area, Heads-up display (HUD), Multi-view Camera, Forward-view cornering camera
- 5.0 Trim: 22-way power driver seat including power lumbar/shoulder adjustment, Ventilated Rear Seats, Wing-out butterfly manual adjustment head restraints, Rear Seat Illuminated Vanity Mirrors, 14-way power right rear seat & 12-way power left rear seat, Integrated memory system for rear outboard seats
2017 Genesis G90 Safety
Strength isn’t just about performance; it’s also about protection. Luckily, the G90 has both. In addition to a host of unbeatable standard safety tech, the G90 has a durable frame construction. While no actual safety scores are currently available, the automaker announced, “…G90 is expected to achieve a 5-star safety rating (NHTSA), and a Top Safety Pick+ (IIHS) standards, based on preliminary internal crash tests.”
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
- Electronic Parking Brake with Automatic Vehicle Hold
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with TCS and Brake Assist
- 9 Airbags
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system with pre-collision warning
- Anti-whiplash front head restraints with power controls/seatbelt pre-tensioners
- Rack Mounted Motor-Driven Power Steering (R-MDPS) with Variable Gear Ratio (VGR)
- Genesis Adaptive Control Suspension (GACS)
- Smart Blind Spot Detection (SBSD) w/ Rear Cross-traffic Alert + Lane Change Assist