2017 GMC Terrain Overview
The 2017 GMC Terrain is a small SUV that carries a starting MSRP of $24,070. The highlights of the new GMC Terrain include a rugged exterior design, spacious interior, and an available V6 engine that’s rated at 301 horsepower. In addition, consumers can upgrade to their heart’s content with available features such as leather upholstery, heated front seats, and a second row entertainment system with two display screens. Key competitors of the ’17 GMC Terrain include the Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, and Honda CR-V.
What’s new for the 2017 GMC Terrain?
Not much has changed about the GMC Terrain for the 2017 model year. Besides SLE trim’s standard 18-inch alloy wheels, the most notable new feature is the available Nightfall appearance package. This distinctive package gives the GMC Terrain a blacked-out exterior with unique features like a charcoal grille, gloss black accents, body-color door handles, and uniquely designed 18-inch aluminum wheels.
2017 GMC Terrain Photos:
2017 GMC Terrain Exterior
The 2017 GMC Terrain distinguishes itself from the rest the compact SUV segment thanks to its athletic stance and bold exterior design. The SLE trim comes standard with 18-inch alloy wheels, rear privacy glass, and a rather large, attention grabbing 3-bar chrome grille with GMC letters. Those consumers lucky enough to purchase the top-level Denali model will also get a programmable power liftgate that can open and close at the single push of button. In addition, the liftgate can be programmed to only open to a fixed point to avoid hitting the ceiling in a garage. Exterior color options include Onyx Black, White Frost Tricoat, and Dark Sapphire Blue Metallic.
2017 GMC Terrain Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SL
- Body-colored door handles, Body-colored bumpers, Solar-ray deep-tinted windows, Charcoal grille with chrome surround, Halogen projector-beam headlamps, Daytime Running Lamps, Manual liftgate with fixed glass, Power-adjustable manual mirrors, Front and rear intermittent wipers
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SLE-1
- Adds to or replaces features on SL: Heated and power-adjustable mirrors
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SLE-2
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE-1: Charcoal luggage rails, LED Daytime Running Lamps
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE-2: Bright chrome door handles, Charcoal grille with chrome surround and added accents, Chrome roof rails with inserts, Heated and power-adjustable chrome mirrors
Exterior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on SLT: Silver-colored bumpers with rear skid plate, Denali chrome grille, Power liftgate with programmable height, Heated and power-adjustable Satin Chrome mirrors
2017 GMC Terrain Performance
The 2017 GMC Terrain comes standard with a six-speed automatic transmission and 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that’s rated at 182 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque. With this four-cylinder motor, the GMC Terrain can tow up to 1,500 pounds. For additional power, buyers can opt for the available 3.6-liter V6 that’s good for 301 horsepower and 272 lb-ft of torque. When properly equipped, the V6-powered Terrain can tow up to 3,500 pounds. Consumers also get the choice between standard front-wheel drive and available all-wheel drive systems.
2017 GMC Terrain Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 2017 GMC Terrain depends on the consumer’s choice of engine and driving system. The FWD Terrain equipped with the four-cylinder motor provides the best EPA-estimated fuel economy of 21 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. On the flipside, the AWD Terrain loaded with the powerful V6 engine yields the lowest EPA-estimated fuel economy of any ’17 Terrain model at just 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. Every 2017 GMC Terrain features a 18.8 gallon fuel tank, while the foul-cylinder engine is able to operate using either E85 ethanol or ordinary gasoline.
2017 GMC Terrain Interior
One of the strongest selling points for the 2017 GMC Terrain is its spacious cabin, which provides vast amounts of legroom for rear passengers. In addition, the interior was designed using advanced sound-deadening materials that ensure a calm and quiet ride while out on the highway. Every ’17 Terrain comes standard with an intuitive 7-inch diagonal color touchscreen and a rearview camera. However, taking a step up to the top-level models will add features like a navigation system and leather seating. The only downside to the Terrain’s cabin is that its spacious rear seating takes away from storage space. With the rear seats folded upward, the ’17 Terrain offers 31.6 cubic feet of cargo space, but without any passengers in the vehicle, the rear seats can be folded down to provide 63.7 cubic feet of available storage space.
2017 GMC Terrain Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SL
- Premium cloth seating, Front bucket seats, 60/40 rear bench (3-passenger with Multi-Flex Manual fore/aft adjustment and recline feature), Driver two-way manual fore/aft adjuster (with power lumbar and power seat height), Cruise control, Comfort-grip vinyl steering with integrated audio and cruise, Tilt and telescoping steering column, Front and rear assist handles, 12-volt AUX outlets (x4), Single-zone manual climate control, Front center console with armrest and concealed storage, Rear defogger, Front carpeted mats, Theater-dimming lighting, Ambient lighting, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Power windows, Driver and passenger vanity mirrors and visors, Color Touch Audio System, AM/FM stereo, 7-inch diagonal touchscreen Color Interface Display, USB port, MP3 with playback, Radio Data System, Speed-compensated volume, AUX input, Outside temperature display, Six-speaker audio system, Bluetooth®, OnStar®, 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capability, Remote Keyless Entry
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SLE-1
- Adds to or replaces features on SL: SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with 3-month trial)
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SLE-2
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE-1: Driver eight-way power seat adjuster with power lumbar, Leather-wrapped steering, Single-zone automatic climate control, Optional sunroof, IntelliLink with Bluetooth streaming, Hands-free smartphone integration, Pandora® radio, Sitcher™ SmartRadio, and Voice-activated technology for radio and phone; Optional color touch navigation; Pioneer® premium eight-speaker system with subwoofer and amp; SiriusXM Travel Link (3-month service); Optional Driver Alert Packages (1 & 2)
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain SLT
- Adds to or replaces features on SLE-2: Ultrasoft perforated leather-appointed seating, Heated driver and front-passenger seating, Remote Vehicle Start
Interior available on the 2017 GMC Terrain Denali
- Adds to or replaces features on SLT: Ultrasoft perforated leather-appointed seating with Denali logos, Passenger 8-way power seat adjuster with power lumbar, Leather-wrapped steering with smoked mahogany wood and mounted audio (with cruise control buttons), Polished aluminum sill plates, Driver Alert Packages 1 & 2, Enhanced soft-ride suspension with dual-flow front dampers, Universal Home Remote, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Rear Park Assist, Side Blind Zone Alert
2017 GMC Terrain Safety
Standard safety features for the 2017 GMC Terrain include stability and traction control, six airbags, antilock brakes, and a rearview camera. Furthermore, consumers with deeper wallets can get advanced safety features such as rear parking sensors, forward-collision alert, lane-departure warning, and blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert. Those advanced safety technologies are standard on the Denali model and optional for both the SLE 2 and SLT trims. Furthermore, the similarly designed 2016 Terrain earned a four star safety rating from the federal government, with five stars being the best overall rating possible.
Standard Safety Features
- Advanced Airbag System
- Rear Vision Camera System
- Child Safety Locks
- LATCH for child safety seating
- Programmable power door locks
- 3-point safety belts
- Theft-deterrent system with PASS-Key III
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Traction Control
- Four-wheel ABS
- Electric Assist Steering
Can’t Get Enough GM? Check out these current incentives to buy 2017 GM models