2017 GMC Yukon Overview
The 2017 GMC Yukon is a full-size, eight-passenger SUV that is a cut above the competition when it comes to luxury, even before upgrading to the truly extravagant Denali trim. No other vehicle in its class can rival its premium interior features and cutting-edge styling. The downside of being such a big and extravagant SUV is that the GMC Yukon’s efficiency suffers as a result, as does its value—especially as you pile on the options.
The 2017 GMC Yukon is available in three trim levels: SLE, SLT, and Denali. It is also available as a longer, XL model.
See What’s Changed: 2016 GMC Yukon overview
What’s New for the 2017 GMC Yukon?
The 2017 GMC Yukon gets standard Teen Driver technology as well as heated and ventilated front seats on the SLT and Denali trims. It also adds low-speed automatic braking to the Enhanced Driver Alert Package (standard on the SLT and Denali) as well as improvements to the rear-seat entertainment and GM’s IntelliLink.
2017 GMC Yukon Exterior
It’s hard not to notice the 2017 GMC Yukon. Big, in-your-face, brawny styling ensures that no one can miss you coming to the party. At the same time, the sculpted headlights and various chrome elements help give the GMC Yukon a more upscale look, especially on the Denali trim, which gets a special chrome mesh grille to stand out even more.
The 2017 GMC Yukon is available in the following exterior colors: Quicksilver Metallic, Onyx Black, Summit White, Sparkling Silver Metallic, Iridium Metallic, Crimson Red Tintcoat, White Frost Tintcoat, and Dark Sapphire Blue Metallic. The GMC Yukon Denali is also available in Mineral Metallic.
2017 GMC Yukon Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on SLE:
- Assist step black with chrome accent, Manual Rear liftgate, Headlamps, Daytime Running Lamps, Fog lamps, Outside heated power-adjustable manual-folding mirrors, Solar-Ray deep-tinted glass, Hidden rear wiper, Rainsense Front wiper, Luggage rack siderails, 17-inch full-size spare wheel, 18-inch bright machined aluminum wheels
Exterior available on SLT (adds to or replaces features on SLE):
- Hands-free power rear liftgate, IntelliBeam headlamps, Outside heated power-adjustable & power-folding mirrors
Exterior available on Denali (adds to or replaces features on SLT):
- Bright bodyside moldings, 20-inch all-season blackwall tires, High-Intensity Discharge projector-beam headlamps, 20-inch bright machined aluminum wheels
2017 GMC Yukon Performance
The 2017 GMC Yukon offers its customers nothing short of eight cylinders right out of the box. A 5.3-liter V8 that makes 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque is standard and mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Upgrading to the Denali trim gets you an even heftier 6.2-liter V8 that cranks out 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, which allows for a maximum towing capacity of 8,400 pounds. The Denali also comes standard with clever Magnetic Ride Control suspension that makes the ride quality even more pristine.
All GMC Yukon models are standard with two-wheel drive (2WD) and available with four-wheel drive (4WD), should drivers feel up for the occasional off-road excursion.
2017 GMC Yukon Efficiency
Though the 2017 GMC Yukon uses direct gasoline injection and Active Cylinder Management—which deactivates half the cylinders while cruising at steady speeds—to increase fuel economy, there’s only so much you can do to make a massive V8 engine efficient. According to the EPA, the base 5.3-liter gets 16/23/19 mpg city/highway/combined with 2WD and 16/22/18 mpg with 4WD. Meanwhile, the 6.2-liter gets 15/22/17 mpg with 2WD and 15/20/17 mpg with 4WD.
2017 GMC Yukon Interior
The 2017 GMC Yukon’s massive size pays off inside, where up to eight passengers can sit at ease. Additionally, the SUV’s abundant use of soft-touch materials and leather trim, as well as its overall artful design, easily makes it the most luxurious SUV in its segment. The attention to detail is superb, the controls easy to use, and the entertainment and convenience technologies seem to be endless, especially on the Denali trim. If interior luxury is the most important factor in your purchase decision, you can’t go wrong with the GMC Yukon.
2017 GMC Yukon Interior Photos:
Interior available on SLE:
- Features: Cargo net, Tri-zone automatic climate control, Steering column with manual tilt-wheel, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Floor mats, Rear-window electric defogger, Front and rear parking assist, Front bucket seats with Premium Cloth, Second row bench seats, Third row 60/40 split-bench manual fold seats
- Radio and Technology: Remote Keyless Entry, Remote vehicle start, 4.2″ diagonal multi-color display, OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot, 8″ Diagonal Color Touch-Screen with IntelliLink, CD player, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, HD radio, Bose premium audio system, OnStar Guidance Plan for 3 months
Interior available on SLT (adds to or replaces features on SLE):
- Features: Power tilt and telescopic steering column, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Power-adjustable pedals, Leather-wrapped heated steering wheel, Front bucket seats, Second row split-folding 60/40 heated bench seats with power release, Third row power folding bench seats
- Radio and Technology: Keyless Entry System, Wireless Charging for mobile devices, Universal Home Remote, Forward Collision Alert sensor indicator, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert
Interior available on Denali (adds to or replaces features on SLT):
- Features: Second row heated bucket seats with power release, Active noise cancellation,
- Radio and Technology: 8-inch Diagonal Color Touch Screen Navigation with IntelliLink, Heads-up display, 8” customizable driver display, OnStar Basic Plan for 5 years, Electrical theft-deterrent system
2017 GMC Yukon Safety
You’re already going to be safer in the 2017 GMC Yukon simply by virtue of its size, but it helps to have a little extra. The SUV comes equipped with standard anti-lock disc brakes, stability control, traction control, front and rear parking sensors, a rearview camera, front-seat side airbags, a center airbag between the front bucket seats, and full-length side curtain airbags. OnStar is also standard, which includes roadside assistance, remote door unlocking, turn-by-turn navigation, stolen vehicle assistance, automatic crash notification, and—new for 2017—the Teen Driver mode that allows owners to set driving parameters for valets and teens.
Available active safety technologies include rear cross-traffic alert, blind-spot monitoring, lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, and forward collision alert with automatic braking. In government crash tests, the 2017 GMC Yukon earned four out of five stars for overall vehicle safety.
Standard Safety Features
- Air bags, including front seat mounted center
- Brakes: 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
- Automatic Occupant Sensing System
- Parking assist, front and rear
- Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Rear Vision Camera
- Daytime Running Lamps
- LATCH system
Four-Wheel-Drive: Should you get it?