2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Overview
There’s a sibling to the best-selling Hyundai Elantra that you may not know about. The affordable, efficient compact car from Hyundai has a stronger, faster brother with a spirited hatchback body and the heart of a sports car. The one-of-a-kind Elantra GT possesses a number of upgrades from the basic Elantra that makes it its own beast. Check out all the Hyundai Elantra GT has to offer for the 2017 model year.
Previous Version: A closer look at last year’s 2016 Elantra GT
What’s new for the 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT?
Some changes have been made to the 2017 version of the Elantra GT (though most are still calling it a “rollover” model from last year). Instead of making the updates standard, they’ve been lumped into the newly-offered, optional “Value Edition” package:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Leather seats
- Leather steering wheel and shift knob
- Proximity key with push button start
- Fog lamps
- Power driver’s seat
- Auto headlights
- Driver’s auto-up power window
- Heated front seats
- Sliding armrest
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are also now available. Despite minimal overall changes, the GT has still earned top scores from industry experts like Autoblog and Cars.com.
Since the recently-revealed i30 hatchback will be released in the United States in the spring as the 2018 GT, not much attention is being given to promote the 2017 version of the GT. While this year’s edition shares many similarities with the Elantra, next year’s version promises to be its own unique animal.
2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Exterior
With its sloped front-end, low stance, and compact back-end, the five-door Elantra GT is a sporty hatchback with exaggerated curves. Although it doesn’t possess the front fascia that the redesigned 2017 Elantra does (which will be added in the 2018 redesign), it comes with many available options its competitors don’t, like a panoramic sunroof.
Exterior Features on the 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT
- Dual heated power bodycolor side mirrors, Center High-Mount Stop Light (CHMSL), Chrome front grille, Chrome window-belt molding, Rear spoiler, Solar control glass, Windshield sunshade band, Variable intermittent windshield wipers/washer, Rear wiper, Projector headlights, Headlight welcome function, Headlight escort function
2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Performance
From its sport-tuned six-speed manual transmission (available automatic) to its 2.0-liter GDI DOHC 16-valve inline four-cylinder engine, the Hyundai Elantra GT is spirited without being inefficient. Its 173 horsepower and 154 lb-ft of torque are enough for the average driver to be satisfied with its level of hatchback performance.
2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Efficiency
Despite being a sportier model, the fuel efficiency of the Elantra GT is not much less than its big brother. The 2017 GT earns 24 mpg in the city, 32 mpg on the highway, and 27 mpg combined. For being only 2 mpg lower than the standard Elantra (which gets 29 mpg combined), that’s a great trade-off to get a boost of added performance. If you get the automatic transmission on the Elantra GT, you’ll appreciate the Active ECO system on it.
2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Interior
One of the 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT’s biggest selling points is its spacious cabin. The 119.1 cubic feet of interior volume trumps the 116.6 cubic feet of the Mazda3 5-Door and the 113.3 cubic feet of the Ford Focus 5-Door. The 60/40 split folding rear seats make the GT versatile for single drivers with occasional back-seat passengers.
Interior Features on the 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT
- Interior Features: Air conditioning, Power windows with auto-down & front illuminated power-window switches, Power door locks, 6-way driver seat with driver seat height adjustment, Premium cloth seating, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback, Cloth door inserts, Dual illuminated vanity mirrors, Cooled glove box, Center armrest storage, Front seatback pockets, Front- and rear-door map pocket, Rear center armrest with cupholders, Illuminated ignition, Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, Steering-wheel-mounted Bluetooth® and audio controls
- Radio and Technology: Bluetooth® hands-free phone system, Smartphone/USB and auxiliary input jacks, AM/FM/SiriusXM/CD/MP3 audio system with 6 speakers, Complimentary SiriusXM activation and 3-month trial subscription, Multifunction trip computer
2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Safety
Boasting a list of standard safety features and being one of the few models in its class to offer a driver’s knee airbag, the 2017 Elantra GT values safety. Its highly-praised Auto Defogging System is especially helpful, and its durable design has earned it a 5-Star safety score from the NHTSA.
Standard Safety Features
- Blind Spot Mirror
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Advanced dual front airbags (SRS) with Occupant Classification System (OCS)
- Driver and front passenger side-impact airbags; driver’s knee airbag (SRS)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Rear LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children)
- Daytime Running Lights (DLR)
- Remote keyless entry system with alarm
Another Hyundai On Its Way: What to expect with the upcoming IONIQ