2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid EV Overview
The Ioniq marks the beginning of a new chapter in Hyundai’s history. Stepping out of it safe zone of predictable, gasoline-fueled compact cars and into the 21st century, Hyundai has developed the first-ever eco-vehicle that’s offered in three different powertrains: all-electric, hybrid, and plug-in hybrid.
Hyundai has released the first version of the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq this month. While the EV and Plug-in will follow later this year, the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid is now available for purchase.
Best-Selling Hyundai Vehicles: Check out what’s on the latest Elantra
What’s New for the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid?
As 2017 marks the debut of the Hyundai Ioniq family, the 2017 Ioniq Hybrid is all-new. A fresh member of Hyundai’s lineup, the Ioniq offers a fuel-efficient alternative to the popular Toyota Prius and fellow members of its segment. This all-new vehicle made its public debut last year and is being released throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia this year.
The Ioniq comes in three trim levels here in the United States: Blue (base), SEL, and Limited. Its lowest starting MSRP begins at $22,200.
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Exterior
The Ioniq Hybrid possesses a customary overall design with characteristics that are typical of Hyundai’s vehicles. The four-door sedan follows the automaker’s design philosophy, with its signature grille shape, smooth body lines, and standard proportions. Its shape is particularly aerodynamic, with a coefficient drag of 0.24.
When you see the 2017 Ioniq Hyrbid on the road, you wouldn’t know it had a hybrid powertrain under the hood. Its most unique characteristic is its contrasting color panel along the rear bumper.
The Ioniq Hybrid also comes in conventional colors, like Ceramic White, Electric Blue Metallic, and Black Noir Pearl. If you purchase an Ioniq in Europe, you’re offered a wider range of colors, including orange and brown.
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Photos:
Exterior featured included on the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
- Blue trim: 15-inch Eco-spoke alloy wheels, Active grille shutters, Automatic projector headlights, Power adjustable exterior mirror, Remote decklid/trunk release, Rear window defogger, Tinted glass, Rear spoiler
- SEL trim adds: 17-inch Eco-spoke alloy wheels, Heated side mirrors, Side mirrors with turn-signal indicators, Chrome beltline molding, Lower side molding, Aero-type wiper design, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED taillights
- Limited trim adds: Power tilt-and-slide sunroof, Chrome door handles, HID headlights
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Performance
All three trim levels of the 2017 Ioniq Hybrid come with the same powertrain: a 1.6-liter GDI Atkinson Cycle four-cylinder engine paired to a 32 kW electric motor. Adding to the car’s smooth and efficient operation is a standard six-speed EcoShift dual-clutch transmission.
The Ioniq’s performance is lower than other vehicles in its class, but it makes up for it in above-average fuel efficiency. As such, the Ioniq Hybrid gets 104 horsepower and 109 lb-ft of torque, which is increased to 139 net horsepower with the electric motor.
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Efficiency
While the Ioniq Hybrid’s performance is not as robust as its competitors’, it more than makes up for it with fuel efficiency rates that reach 55 mpg in the city and 54 mpg on the highway. The Blue trim of the Ioniq tested slightly better, though, and could reach 58 mpg combined– a whole 3 mpg higher than the same powertrain on the SEL and Limited trims. That’s enough to make it the king of its class.
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Interior
The Ioniq Hybrid, seating five, has a simple cabin where Hyundai drivers will feel at home. Its control console and dashboard layout reflect the same pattern as in other models in the lineup. Its cargo volume is a spacious 26.5 cubic feet, which can be extended with the folding rear seats. Head room is a generous 39.1 inches in the front, while legroom is 35.7 inches in the back. Front passengers can stretch out with 42.2 inches in legroom and 56.1 inches in shoulder room.
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Interior Photos:
Interior featured included on the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
- Blue trim: Proximity Key entry with push button start, 4.2-inch LCD instrument cluster display with Hybrid Technology Display, Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel with steering-wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls, Dual automatic temperature control, 60/40 split fold-down rear seatback, Premium cloth seating, 6-way driver seat with seat height adjustment and lumbar support, 7-inch touchscreen display audio with Hybrid Technology Display, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Integrated Bluetooth, Smartphone/USB (front & floor console)/Aux input jacks, SiriusXM Radio, HD Radio technology
- SEL trim adds: 10-way power driver seat with power lumbar support, Heated front seats, Rear center armrest with cupholders, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Blind Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross-traffic Alert and Lane Change Assist, 7-inch LCD system with high-resolution touchscreen
- Limited trim adds: Front passenger window auto-down/up, Leather seating surfaces, Rear cargo cover (luggage screen), Premium door sill plates, Blue Link Telematics System, Blue Link Connected Care & Remote Package for three years, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink and compass, LED interior illumination
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Safety
While the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid has not been tested for crash safety levels by the IIHS or the NHTSA, the vehicle has underdone testing by the Euro NCAP, receiving a five-star rating that applies to the PHEV and EV versions also. It received a 91% score in Adult Occupant, 80% in Child Occupant, 70% in Pedestrian, and 82% in Safety Assist.
Standard Safety Features
- Hillstart Assist Control
- Seven airbags
- Rearview camera
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System with individual tire pressure indicator
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- 4-Wheel ABS Brakes
- Brake Assist
- Occupant Classification System
- Seatbelt Pretensioner
- Vehicle anti-theft via alarm and engine mobilizer
- Rear LATCH child-seat-attachment system
- Childproof rear door locks