2017 Kia Optima Overview
In a world full of decent mid-size sedan options, the 2017 Kia Optima stands out thanks to its eye-catching exterior, well-designed cabin, and numerous powertrain options. With a starting MSRP of just $22,200, the new Kia Optima also offers exceptional value and even comes standard with a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty. When you combine this with the sedan’s European styling and exceptional ride quality, you can see why the brand sold a total of 124,203 Optima sedans last year in the United States. The main competition for the Optima includes the Mazda6, Subaru Legacy, and Hyundai Sonata.
So Many Impressive Kia Vehicles! New Picanto includes turbocharged three-cylinder engine
What’s New for the 2017 Kia Optima?
For the 2017 model year, the higher-level SX and SX Limited trims now come standard with matte finish 18-inch alloy wheels. Other than this, the 2017 Optima carries over relatively unchanged following its full redesign just one year ago.
2017 Kia Optima Photos:
2017 Kia Optima Exterior
While the previous version of the Kia Optima was still a good looking car, the 2017 model takes things to another level thanks to its bold roofline, wide grille design, and chrome accents. This model is so sporty that some people might confuse it for a rear-wheel drive coupe, instead of the front-wheel-drive sedan that it really is. In addition, buyers looking for a little more style can add LED daytime running lights and a panoramic moonroof with the available Value and Premium packages. Exterior color options include Snow White Pearl, Silky Silver, Sparkling Silver, Titanium Silver, Platinum Graphite, Sangria, Horizon Blue, Ebony Black, and Aurora Black Pearl.
2017 Kia Optima Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Optima LX
- Gloss black front grille, Power-adjustable outside mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, Solar control glass, Projector beam headlights, Locking fuel-filler door, Chrome exhaust tip, Available Aurora black premium color paint, 16-inch alloy wheels, 205/65R16 tires
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
- Adds to or replaces features on LX: Available sport black trim, Heated outside mirrors, Power folding outside mirrors, Sound-absorbing front door windows, Smart trunk, 16-inch light gray finish alloy wheels, 205/65R16 tires
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Optima EX
- Adds to or replaces features on LX 1.6T: Dark metallic front grille, Available sport front bumper with satin chrome accents, Dual projector beam headlights, LED daytime running lights, LED rear combination lamps, 17-inch alloy wheels, 215/55R17 tires
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Optima SX
- Adds to or replaces features on EX: Dark metallic sport front grille, Front and rear sport bumpers, Rear spoiler, Available satin chrome side fender garnish, Available sport black trim, LED headlights, Dynamic bending light with auto-leveling, Sport style LED rear combination lamps, Dual chrome exhaust tips, Snow white pearl premium color paint, Matte finish 18-inch alloy wheels, Red front and rear brake calipers, 235/45R18 tires, Space-saver spare tire
Exterior available on the 2017 Kia Optima SX Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on SX: Panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, High beam assist, Chrome finish 18-inch alloy wheels, 235/45R18 tires
2017 Kia Optima Performance
There are three engine options for the 2017 Kia Optima. The entry-level LX model comes standard with a naturally-aspirated 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that’s rated at 185 horsepower and 178 lb-ft of torque. In contrast, if you take one step up to the LX model, then you’ll get a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder good for 178 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque. Lastly, the SX and SX Limited trims feature a 2.0-liter turbo-four that provides 245 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. Both the 2.4-liter and 2.0-liter engines come paired with a six-speed automatic transmission, while the 1.6-liter motor works with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission (DCT).
2017 Kia Optima Efficiency
The fuel economy ratings for the 2017 Kia Optima depend on the buyer’s choice of engine and transmission. The LX model equipped with the naturally-aspirated four-cylinder is good for 24 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway, but if you’re after the most fuel-efficient ride possible, then go with the 1.6-liter turbo engine with the DCT, as this sedan yields an EPA-estimated 28 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway. In comparison, the SX and SX Limited trims with the 2.0-liter turbo-four are good for 22 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway.
2017 Kia Optima Interior
The cabin of the fourth-generation Kia Optima sedan is much quieter than that of its predecessor thanks to more underbody insulation, laminated windows, and heartier body panels. What’s more, this model comes generously equipped with advanced tech features. For example, even the base model comes standard with a rearview camera, air conditioning, and a six-way power seat. If it’s extravagance that you’re after, the range-topping SX Limited trim comes loaded with a 10-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, Nappa leather upholstery, and Kia’s UVO infotainment system, which is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Also, if you’re concerned about storage capacity, the trunk of the new Optima provides 15.9-cubic inches of cargo space.
2017 Kia Optima Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Optima LX
- Cloth seating, 8-way driver’s seat adjustment with 2-way lumbar support, 6-way passenger seat adjustment, 60/40 split folding rear seat, Day/night interior rear-view mirror, Overhead sunglasses holder, Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors, AM/FM/CD/MP3/SiriusXM® audio system with 5-inch touchscreen display, 6 speakers, Bluetooth® wireless technology hands-free connectivity, Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls, Dual front console 12-volt power outlets, USB/auxiliary jack, 3.5-inch TFT LCD meter display with trip computer, Drive mode select, Active eco system, Remote keyless entry with trunk opener
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
- Adds to or replaces features on LX: Available merlot sport leather seating, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and gear shift knob, AM/FM/CD/MP3/SiriusXM® audio system with 5-inch touchscreen display, Bluetooth® wireless technology hands-free connectivity, Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls, Dual front console 12-volt power outlets, USB/auxiliary jack, 3.5-inch TFT LCD meter display with trip computer, Drive mode select, Active eco system, Remote keyless entry with trunk opener, Push button start with smart key and immobilizer
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Optima EX
- Adds to or replaces features on LX 1.6T: Leather seating, 12-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with 4-way power lumbar support, Driver’s seat integrated memory system, Heated front seats, Heated steering wheel, Woodgrain interior accents, Carpeted floor and trunk mats, Dual-zone automatic temperature control, Glove box illumination, UVO eServices with 7-inch touchscreen display, Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™ compatibility, Dual center console USB 2.1 charging ports, Rear 12-volt power outlet
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Optima SX
- Adds to or replaces features on EX: Sport leather seating, Available merlot sport leather seating, Metal look interior accents, Leatherette instrument panel and door trim with silver stitching, Alloy pedals, Stainless-steel door scuff plate trim, Sport steering wheel, Auto-dimming rear-view mirror, Rear door window sunshades, Steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters, UVO eServices with 8-inch touchscreen display, premium navigation, and Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™, 4.3-inch TFT color LCD display with trip computer
Interior available on the 2017 Kia Optima SX Limited
- Adds to or replaces features on SX: Quilted Nappa leather seating, 10-way power-adjustable passenger’s seat with 2-way lumbar support, Ventilated front seats, Heated rear seats, Premium black tricot headliner and pillar trim, LED interior lighting, UVO eServices with 8-inch touchscreen display, premium navigation, and Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™, Harman Kardon® QuantumLogic™ premium surround sound with Clari-Fi™, 630 watts, and 10 speakers, Rear parking assist system, Surround view monitor, Blind-spot detection system, Rear cross-traffic alert, Autonomous emergency braking, Advanced smart cruise control, Forward collision warning system, Lane departure warning system, Wireless smartphone charger with 12-volt power outlet, Electronic parking brake with auto hold
2017 Kia Optima Safety
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) awarded the 2017 Kia Optima its second-highest score of Top Safety Pick. This means the new Optima earned top ratings in each of the agency’s crash tests, which include the roof strength, small overlap front, head restraint, side, and moderate overlap front examinations. In fact, the only reason the Optima didn’t earn the Top Safety Pick+ score is because its headlights were deemed less than satisfactory by the IIHS. Furthermore, the 2017 Kia Optima earned the best possible safety rating of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Standard Safety Features
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
- Vehicle Stability Management
- Hill Start Assist Control
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
- Electronic Stability Control
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
- Internal Emergency Trunk Release
The Snow is Melting: Here are some safety tips on flash flood driving