2017 Kia Rio Overview
The Kia Rio returns this year with minor changes to the sporty sedan, including new exterior colors and the exclusion of others. On the base LX trim, drivers can now choose red or black, while the Digital Yellow color has been discontinued this year. The trims have also been pared down to just two, removing the SX option, leaving the LX and EX trims. Read on to learn more about this peppy performer.
Looking for a New Car? Here are reasons you should buy from a dealership
What’s New for the 2017 Kia Rio?
Aside from exterior color changes, the 2017 Kia Rio also returns with upgrades inside, including the ability to add UVO3 eServices. The infotainment system includes voice-command navigation, music app connectivity, and expanded storage for around 2,000 songs.
2017 Kia Rio Photos:
2017 Kia Rio Exterior
Not much has changed on the exterior of the 2017 Kia Rio, aside from the added red and black paint colors. The front end features Kia’s signature grille and multi-reflector headlights. Additional impressive features include power heated exterior mirrors, 15-inch steel wheels, and an available chrome front grille surround (on the EX trim).
2017 Kia Rio Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on LX:
- 15-inch steel wheels, Multi-reflector headlights, Body-color exterior door handles, Body-color power heated exterior mirrors
Exterior available on EX:
- Adds to or replaces LX features: 15-inch alloy wheels, Front fog lights, Chrome front grille surround, Optional “Eco” badge, Optional on/off headlights
2017 Kia Rio Performance
Under the hood of the 2017 Kia Rio is a 1.6-liter four-cylinder GDI engine. The base LX trim can be mated to a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic, while the EX is only available with the automatic transmission. No matter which transmission, both vehicles pump out 138 horsepower and 123 lb-ft of torque.
2017 Kia Rio Efficiency
With the automatic transmission mated to the 1.6-liter engine, both vehicles get an estimated 27/36/31 mpg city/highway/combined*. When switching to the manual transmission on the LX trim, fuel economy is hardly affected.
*MPG: Based on EPA estimates. Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits, and your vehicle’s condition.
2017 Kia Rio Interior
The interior of the 2017 Kia Rio LX has an abundance of convenient features, like the 6-way adjustable driver’s seat, rear seat heater ducts, a 60/40 split-folding rear seat, SiriusXM satellite radio, and auxiliary input jacks. On the upper EX trim, drivers can enjoy a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, soft-touch dash pad, remote keyless entry, an Active Eco System, Tweeter speakers, and Bluetooth wireless technology.
2017 Kia Rio Interior Photos:
Interior available on LX:
- Woven cloth seat trim, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, 60/40-split folding rear seat, Rear seat heater ducts, Air conditioning, Steering wheel-mounted audio control buttons
Interior available on EX:
- Adds to or replaces LX features: Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Knit cloth seat trim, Metal-paint interior trim, Soft-touch dash pad, Front door padded armrest, Center console with sliding armrest, Power windows, Power door locks, Remote keyless entry
2017 Kia Rio Safety
With the standard safety features included on the 2017 Kia Rio, it managed to receive a 5-star overall safety rating from the NHTSA. Some of these state-of-the-art systems include Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Vehicle Stability Management, and Electronic Stability Control.
Standard Safety Features:
- Rear child-safety door locks
- Anti-lock braking system
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution
- Electronic Stability Control
- Vehicle Stability Management
- Tire-pressure monitoring system
- LATCH system
- Dual front advanced airbags
- Dual front seat-mounted side airbags
- Full-length side curtain airbags
- Side-impact door beams
- Front and rear crumple zones