2017 Mazda CX-9 Overview
Fresh from getting a new look in 2016, the Mazda CX-9 comes back, mostly the same, for the 2017 model year, still helping the brand to ratchet its way up-market.
If You Like the CX-9: Then you may like the CX-5
What’s New for the 2017 Mazda CX-9?
Since the CX-9 just received a substantial redesign for the 2016 model year, it carries over mostly unchanged for 2017, with the addition of Smart City Brake Support as a standard feature to its Touring trim level, which used to be optional.
2017 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
2017 Mazda CX-9 Exterior
The outside of the CX-9 is designed with the brand’s KODO: Soul of Motion design language, and taking cues from the brand’s Koeru concept. Of particular note are the CX-9’s slim headlights and the brand’s signature silver wing bordering the lower line of the grille, along with the long hood and sculpted lower fascia.
2017 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, LED headlights and taillights, LED Daytime Running Lights, Body-colored rear roofline spoiler, Power side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Rear privacy glass, Dual exhaust outlets
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- Heated side mirrors, Power rear liftgate with programmable height adjustment
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- LED fog lights, High beam control, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Chrome body molding, Aluminum roof rails in satin chrome finish, 20-inch x 8.5-inch aluminum alloy wheels, P255/50 R20 all-season tires, Front and rear door courtesy lamps
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- LED Grille accent lighting
2017 Mazda CX-9 Performance
The 2017 CX-9 is powered by a SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, producing 227 hp when fed on regular unleaded or 250 hp when pumped full of premium. Either way, it produces 310 lb-ft of torque, and is available either in a FWD or the brand’s i-ACTIV AWD system (which, according to Mazda, is the preferred choice).
2017 Mazda CX-9 Efficiency
Regardless of drivetrain configuration, the 2017 CX-9 comes with a Mazda-designed automatic six-speed transmission. In FWD models, that translates to an EPA-estimated 22 mpg in the city, 28 mpg on the highway, and 24 mpg combined. In AWD models (especially the Signature trim, which doesn’t come in FWD), those numbers decrease slightly to 20 mpg in the city, 26 mpg on the highway, and 23 mpg combined.
2017 Mazda CX-9 Interior
The interior is one of the areas where the CX-9 really shines. It provides seating for seven passengers with three rows of seating, and strives to be intuitive and easy to use for the driver. The luxurious features really shine, though, in the CX-9’s topmost Signature trim level, which offers special touches like genuine rosewood inlays, Nappa leather-trimmed seats, and a full spread of driver-assist technology.
2017 Mazda CX-9 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- Three-zone automatic climate control, Power windows with one-touch auto open/close on all windows, Cloth-trimmed seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Six-way manual driver’s seat, Tilt & telescopic steering column, Dual 12-volt power outlets (front and cargo area), 3 rows of seating for up to 7 passengers, 60/40 split fold-down and reclining 2nd-row seats with tilt and slide 3rd-row access, 50/50 split fold-down 3rd-row seats, Rear cargo area underfloor storage
- Trip computer, Outside temperature display, Cruise control, Rearview Camera, Audio system with six speakers, Auxiliary input jack and 2 USB ports, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming capability, MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system, Seven-inch full-color touch screen display, Multifunction Commander control, Infotainment system voice command, HD Radio™, Aha™ internet radio integration, Pandora® internet radio integration, Stitcher™ internet radio integration, Radio Broadcast Data System program information, SMS text message audio delivery and reply
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with HomeLink® , Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors with extension, Eight-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Four-way power front passenger seat, Heated front seats (3 levels), Leather-trimmed seats (1st and 2nd-row outboard seating positions)
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System, 8-inch full-color touch screen display, Smart City Brake Support, Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- Adaptive Front Lighting System; Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade; 2nd-row retractable window sunshades, Genuine aluminum interior trim; LED accent lighting for shifter area, door pockets, door pulls and window/door lock switches, Active Driving Display (Heads-Up Display)
- Mazda Radar Cruise control, Bose® Centerpoint2® Surround Sound audio system with AudioPilot and 12 speakers, HD Radio™, Mazda Navigation System, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 4-month trial subscription, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Rear backup sensors
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- Aluminum interior trim, Genuine Rosewood inlays – shifter surround and door switchgear, Nappa leather-trimmed seats (1st and 2nd-row outboard seating positions), Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
2017 Mazda CX-9 Safety
The CX-9 has yet to be tested by either the IIHS or the NHTSA, but offers the usual suite of safety tech—various airbags, three-point seatbelts, LATCH child seat restraints, etc—along with optional advanced systems like its predictive AWD system, radar cruise control, Smart City brake Support, Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Adaptive Front Lighting, automatic High Beam Control, and Distance Recognition Support.
Standard Safety Features
- Roll stability control
- Trailer stability assist
- Rearview Camera
- Advanced dual front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection
- 3-point seat belts for all seating positions
- Front seat-belt pretensioners with force limiters
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brake force Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control System and Trailer Stability Assist
- Engine-immobilizer antitheft system
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- LATCH 2nd-row seat child safety seat anchors & upper tether anchors
- Child-safety rear door locks
Protection and Performance: See how the Zoom Zoom brand is keeping you safe