2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Overview
The Mazda Miata is already the top-selling roadster ever made, but the Japanese automaker decided to add a new spin to the vehicle for the 2017 model year. One year after introducing the fourth-generation version of its soft-top convertible, Mazda is bringing the RF model to the United States. The RF stands for “Retractable Fastback,” which means buyers now have the choice between soft-top and targa versions of Mazda’s popular sports car. However, this new roof also comes with a higher price tag, as the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF carries a starting MSRP of $31,555.
Visiting the Midwest Soon? Make sure to check out these must-see attractions in Indiana
What’s new for the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF?
As previously mentioned, the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF comes with a new retractable roof that can be lowered in just 14 seconds, even when traveling at speeds of up to 6 mph. It should also be noted that only the back window and overhead roof panel retract, as the buttresses and horizontal bar behind the driver and passenger stay permanently in place. Furthermore, this new retractable roof adds approximately 110 pounds to the MX-5 in comparison to the soft-top model.
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Photos:
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Exterior
The 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF exemplifies the brand’s “Kodo” design language. It features the same long hood that the Miata is known for, but also comes with a few more contemporary features, such as full LED lighting, an aluminum trunk lid, and 17-inch Dark Gunmetal alloy wheels. What’s more, the fourth-generation Miata is three inches shorter than the third-gen model, making it ideal for tight parking spaces in the city. Exterior color options for the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF include Soul Red Metallic, Jet Black Mica, Ceramic Metallic, Crystal White Pearl Metallic, Machine Gray Metallic, and Blue Reflex Mica.
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Club
- LED Headlights, LED Taillights, LED Daytime Running Lights, Body-colored bumpers & door handles, Aluminum hood, Aluminum trunk lid, Front air dam, Solar-control/tinted (green) windshield, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Power retractable fastback roof in body color with black accents, Black power side mirrors, Glass rear window, Rear-mounted mast antenna, Rear lip spoiler, Piano Black seat back bar trim
Exterior available on the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Grand Touring
- Adds to or replaces features on Club: High beam Control, Auto on/off headlights, Rain-sensing wipers, Auto-dimming driver’s side mirror, Trunk light
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Performance
Every 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata comes standard with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine rated at 155 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque. That snappy engine gives the new Miata just enough zip to make it a blast to drive down tight, curvy roads. Furthermore, the Club trim level comes standard with Bilstein shock absorbers, a limited-slip differential, and a sport-tuned suspension, which increases the car’s fun factor even further. It might be worth mentioning that the Club model is available with high-performance Brembo brakes.
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Efficiency
Thanks to its thrifty naturally-aspirated engine and a curb weight of just 2,445 pounds, it shouldn’t come as a big surprise that this two-seat sports car yields respectable fuel economy. When equipped with the standard manual gearbox, the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF yields EPA-estimated fuel economy of 26 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway. In contrast, the Miata RF equipped with the available automatic transmission yields higher fuel economy of 26 mpg in the city and 35 on the highway. Each new MX-5 Miata RF features an 11.89-gallon fuel tank.
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Interior
Mazda said that it built the interior of the MX-5 Miata RF around the driver, meaning you won’t be able to haul many items in the 4.6-cubic foot trunk, but the new RF features a much quieter cabin when compared to the soft-top model thanks to the use of more noise insulation materials. Also, while the Club model comes generously equipped with a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a Bose 9-speaker sound system, and the Mazda Connect infotainment system, the more expensive Grand Touring trim takes luxury to the next level with features like heated and leather-trimmed seats, a Mazda Navigation System, and automatic climate-control.
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Club
- Heater/defroster with multiple-speed fan, Power windows with driver and passenger one-touch-down feature, Rear window defogger, Front side window demisters, Power door locks with speed sensor, Cruise control, Remote keyless with panic mode, Remote trunk lid release, Dual visor vanity mirrors, Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry, Push button ignition, Courtesy overhead light with dimming, Transparent wind blocker, 2 removable cup holders, Locking rear center console, Passenger back panel covered storage, Bucket seats with reclining and forward/back slide feature, Front tilt seat (driver side only), Black cloth-trimmed seats with red stitching, Body-colored upper door trim, Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Leather-wrapped parking brake handle, Padded armrests, 12-volt power outlet, Auxiliary-audio input jack, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio streaming capability, BOSE 9-speaker audio system with AudioPilot/subwoofer/driver & passenger headrest speakers, CD player, MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system with 7-inch full color touch screen,
SiriusXM satellite radio with 4-month subscription, Speed-sensing automatic volume control, 2 USB audio inputs, Steering-wheel-mounted controls, 4.6-inch full-color LCD display for trip computer and roof status information
Interior available on the 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Grand Touring
- Adds to or replaces features on Club: Automatic climate control, Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink, Dual visor vanity mirrors, Heated seats with 3 settings, Black or Sport Tan leather-trimmed seats, Body color upper door trim, Adaptive Front Lighting System, Lane Departure Warning System, Anti-theft Alarm, Mazda Navigation System
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Safety
Every 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF comes standard with dual front airbags, side impact airbags, and blind-spot monitoring. However, the MX-5 Miata has not undergone safety tests for either the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The reason of this lack of safety tests is because the Miata’s interior is too small to fit a crash test dummy and the required sensors needed to conduct these evaluations.
Standard Safety Features
- Dual Front Airbags
- Side Impact Airbags
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Anti-lock brake system
- Engine Immobilizer
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
The History of Mazda: Discover when the company was founded and when its cars came to the US