2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Overview
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS is a three-row luxury SUV that carries a starting MSRP of $67,050. Formerly known as the GL-Class, Mercedes has renamed this SUV because they say it’s now the “S-Class among the SUVs.” Key competitors for the 2017 GLS include the Cadillac Escalade, Infiniti QX80, and Range Rover.
Mercedes Awards: Mercedes-Benz named most refined luxury brand by kbb.com
What’s New for the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS?
Besides coming with a name change, the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS features a redesigned front fascia that’s highlighted by a wider grille and restyled headlights. In contrast, the back end of the vehicle gets new LED taillights and a fresh bumper design. As for the interior, Mercedes offers its new COMAND system with 8-inch touchscreen that can be used to access navigation and entertainment technology, among other functions. Consumers will have the choice between four distinct trim levels: GLS350d, GLS450, GLS550, and AMG GLS63.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Photos:
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Exterior
Other than minor changes made to the front and rear fascias, the exterior of the new GLS is very similar to its predecessor. The 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS comes standard with 19-inch 5-spoke wheels, but consumers with a passion for larger wheels can upgrade to 22-inchers. On the very front of the vehicle, the Mercedes-Benz star emblem is slightly bigger than it was last year on the GL-Class. New LED headlamps are also an available option. Exterior colors for the 2017 GLS include Polar White, Lunar Blue Metallic, and Diamond Silver Metallic.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS350d
- 19-inch 5-spoke wheels, P275/55HR19 BSW All-Season front and rear tires, Optional 20-inch 10-spoke wheels, Twin Projector Beam Halogen Headlights, Optional Active LED headlamps, Optional Adaptive Highbeam Assist, Optional illuminated running boards, Optional panorama roof, Optional illuminated star, Power-folding side mirrors, Power liftgate, Power tilt/sliding sunroof, Aluminum roof rails
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS450
- Available with similar exterior features as the GLS350d
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS 550
- 211-inch AMG twin 5-spoke wheels, silver; wood/leather steering wheel; Illuminated running boards; Multicolor ambient lighting; Illuminated front door sills; Optional Night Package with 21-inch AMG cross-spoke wheels Polished/Black and Gloss Black exterior accents
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLS63
- 21-inch AMG cross-spoke wheels, Dual chrome AMG exhaust tips, AMG illuminated front door sills, Panorama roof
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Performance
If there are two things that Mercedes-Benz vehicles are famous for, then it would have to be extravagant interior cabins, as well as tremendous power underneath their hoods. The 2017 GLS certainly won’t disappoint Mercedes enthusiasts in the power department, as this new model is available with four powerful engine options. The standard engine is a 3.0-liter V6 turbo diesel good for 255 horsepower and 455 lb-ft of torque, but if you go up one trim level to the GLS450 model, then you’ll find a 3.0-liter V6 biturbo motor, which packs 362 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. For those people who desire a good old V8, take a look at the GLS550 and its 4.7-liter biturbo that’s rated at 449 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. Finally, the top-level AMG GLS63 comes equipped with a handcrafted 5.5-liter AMG biturbo V8 that pumps out 577 horsepower and 561 lb-ft of torque. The AMG GLS63 makes use of a seven-speed 7G-Tronic transmission, while the other three trims all come with a nine-speed automatic.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Efficiency
Fuel economy data for GLS models equipped with the diesel or either V8 engine has yet to be released, but Mercedes says the 2017 GLS450 will yield 17 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. Furthermore, this Mercedes SUV uses high-pressure direct injection technology, as well as an ECO Start/Stop system in order to cut emissions and save gasoline.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Interior
The interior of the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS provides seating for up to seven people and also comes standard with a rearview camera and remote start technology. Drivers will sit behind a new three-spoke steering wheel and the Dynamic Select system allows the driver to choose from three unique driving modes: Comfort, Sport, and Slippery. In addition, the GLS comes standard with a premium lighting system, Eucalyptus wood trim, and privacy glass. In terms of cargo space, the GLS boasts 49.8 cubic feet of storage space with the third row folded down.
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS350d
- Leather steering wheel, Genuine Wood Trim, MB-Tex upholstery, Multi-adjustable power driver seat, Multi-adjustable power passenger seat, Front dual power headrests, Power driver seat with memory, 60/40-split 2nd-row seats with EASY-ENTRY, Power-folding 50/50-split 3rd-row seats, Heated front seats, Automatic climate control, Privacy glass, Power front and rear windows with one-touch up and down, Cargo area tiedowns, Optional multicolor ambient lighting, 8-inch high-resolution color screen, Hands-free Bluetooth interface, AM/FM Radio Seek, Scan, Speed Sensitive Volume, COMAND, and 8 Speakers Total; CD Player; MP3 Player; In-glass radio antenna; Vehicle Location System; Optional Navigation Aid with Voice Activation; Optional smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay, Optional SiriusXM Radio with 6-month All Access trial; Optional Sirius XM Traffic and Weather with 5-year service; 5 years of Mercedes-Benz mbrace Connect Package
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS450
- Optional Off-road Package with enhanced Off-Road driving program and front underride protection; Optional ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM Package with ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM and Adaptive Damping System
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS 550
- 3-zone climate control, Leather upholstery, Soft-close doors, Power front passenger seat with memory, Ventilated front seats, Multicontour front seats with massage feature, Adaptive Damping System, Active LED headlamps, Adaptive Highbeam Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Parking Assist with Parking Pilot, Surround View System, COMAND navigation with three years of no-charge map updates, harman/kardon LOGIC7® sound system, Smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay, In-dash DVD/CD player with SD card reader, Hands-free Bluetooth interface, 5 years of SiriusXM Traffic and Weather, 6-month All Access trial of SiriusXM Radio, Voice control
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLS63
- AMG sport steering wheel, Exclusive Nappa leather upholstery, Heated second-row seats, ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM, Optional harman/kardon LOGIC7® sound system, Optional Bang & Olufsen® BeoSound™ Premium Sound System
2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS Safety
Standard safety features for the AWD Mercedes-Benz GLS includes LED daytime running lamps and tailamps, a rearview camera, and an 11-way airbag protection system. The new GLS also comes with new advanced safety features like Attention Assist, which can alert drivers if it senses they are exhibiting drowsy driving behaviors. Another advanced technology found on the new GLS is Active Brake Assist. This safety feature uses radar sensors to measure the speed at which the vehicle is closing on slower cars ahead. If the system determines a collision is likely, it can aid the driver in providing the correct level of braking in order to prevent or mitigate a collision.
Standard Safety Features
- Driver Airbag
- Front Passenger Airbag
- Seat-Mounted Front Side Airbags
- Rear Side Airbags
- Front and Rear Side Head Curtain Airbags
- Passenger Airbag Cutoff Sensor
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Adaptive braking technology
- Active Brake Assist
- Rearview camera
- Advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Electronic Stability Program
- Crosswind Assist
- Trailer Stability Assist
Rather Drive A Coupe? Check out the new 2016 Mercedes-Benz CLA