2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Overview
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC is a two-door roadster with a retractable hardtop. This model is the replacement for the outgoing Mercedes-Benz SLK which first launched 20 years ago. The new Mercedes-Benz SLC carries a starting MSRP of $47,950. In addition, the SLC features notable exterior design changes, as well as a new engine option. Key competitors for the new SLC roadster include the 2017 Porsche 718 Boxster, 2016 BMW Z4, and 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata.
What’s new for the 2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC?
Besides dropping the SLK nameplate, the new Mercedes-Benz SLC comes with a rounder front fascia, twin projector beam halogen headlights, and LED taillamps. Also, there will only be two SLC models offered in the United States, which is down from the three trim levels available with last year’s SLK. As a result of this reduction, the SLC will not offer the 415-horsepower V8 engine. Instead, the SLC will provide a 362-horsepower twin-turbocharged V6 as its highest performing motor. The 2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC is offered in two trims: the SLC300 Roadster and AMG SLC 43.
2016 Mercedes-Benz SLC Photos:
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Exterior
Both the front and rear fascias have been updated for the Mercedes-Benz SLC roadster in order to provide a bolder and more muscular appearance. Notable exterior features include the eye-catching Mercedes diamond grille, as well as 17-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels which are standard, but larger 18-wheels can be found on the AMG variant. The Mercedes-AMG SLC 43 also features a quad exhaust system and is available with an optional Night package, which adds Gloss Black trim to the sleek roadster.
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC300
- Front P225/45YR17 BSW performance tires, Rear P245/40YR17 BSW performance tires, Locking fuel filler cap, Heated power-adjustable exterior mirrors with memory and integrated turn signals, Intermittent rain-sensing wipers, Perimeter lighting activated via remote, Twin projector beam halogen headlights, Retractable hardtop, Panorama roof, 17-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels, LED Daytime Running Lamps, LED taillamps
Exterior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG SLC 43
- Adds to or replaces SLC300 Roadster features: Diamond radiator grille, Front splitter in silver chrome, AMG sports exhaust system with chromium-plated tailpipe, 18-inch AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels, Optional LED headlamps, Optional Night package (Gloss black trim)
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Performance
The 2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC300 comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine rated at 241 horsepower and 273-lb-ft of torque. This is the same motor found on last year’s SLK300. Mercedes estimates the rear-wheel drive SLC300 will be able to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.8 seconds. As previously mentioned, the naturally-aspirated V8 engine found in last year’s SLK55 AMG is no longer offered, but the new Mercedes-AMG SLC 43 still packs plenty of power with its twin-turbocharged V6 motor. This new engine is good for 362 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque. Both new SLC models come with a nine-speed automatic transmission.
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Efficiency
Official fuel economy data for the Mercedes-Benz SLC has yet to be released, but last year’s SLK300 with the same turbocharged four-cylinder engine was able to yield 25 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway. In addition, the ‘17 Mercedes-Benz SLC comes standard with a 15.9 gallon fuel tank.
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Interior
The cockpit of the Mercedes-Benz SLC is quite similar to that of the SLK, but Mercedes did add a new multifunction 3-spoke sport steering wheel that features hand-stitched Nappa leather around the rim and a flat-bottom design. Aluminum trim also highlights the cabin and the high-resolution display screen has grown from 5.8 inches to 7 inches, which should make it easier for the driver to reads maps via the Comand infotainment system with hard-disc navigation. Furthermore, the retractable hardtop roof can open in less than 20 seconds and can also be lowered or raised at speeds of up to 25 mph.
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC300
- Illuminated vanity mirrors, Autodimming rearview mirror, Keyless Entry, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Multi-adjustable driver and passenger seats with memory and dual-power lumbar support, Interior dust/charcoal filter, Tilt/telescopic steering column, Tinted glass, Multi-function remote, Cruise control, Multifunction steering wheel, Front and rear power windows with express-open/close, Aluminum trim, Rearview camera, SmartKey, Integrated compass, Electric trunk partition, MB-Tex upholstery, Illuminated entry system, Brake HOLD feature, 5-year mbrace Connect Package, HomeLink™ garage door opener, 8-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system, Vehicle Location System, Remote Start via mbrace mobile app, 7-inch color display, Bluetooth audio streaming, Prewiring for GARMIN MAP PILOT, Dual USB audio ports, HD Radio receiver, In-dash SD card reader
Interior available on the 2017 Mercedes-AMG SLC 43
- Adds to or replaces SLC300 Roadster features: Sports seats with AMG Nappa leather/DINAMICA microfiber upholstery with red piping and topstitching, AMG Performance steering wheel with flattened bottom and red contrasting stitching, AMG door sill panels, AMG instrument cluster panel with RACETIMER and a 280 km/h scale in checkered flag design
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Safety
Every Mercedes-Benz SLC comes standard with a rearview camera, LED daytime running lamps, and LED taillamps. Also standard is Mercedes’ Attention Assist technology, which monitors up to 70 factors of driving behavior and can provide visual and audible warning signals to the driver if it detects the driving is exhibiting drowsy driving characteristics. The 2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC has not been crash tested by either the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Standard Safety Features
- Brake Assist
- Driver and passenger front airbags
- Seat-mounted front side airbags
- Front side head curtain airbags
- Passenger airbag cutoff sensor
- Front emergency pretensioners with belt-force limiter
- Front airbag deactivation via child seat detection system
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Selective power door locks
- Vehicle theft tracking
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Dare To Compare: Discover how well the new SLC stacks up against the outgoing SLK