2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Overview
The 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman is a mid-engine sports coupe that carries a starting MSRP of $53,900. Introduced in 2005, the Cayman is a more affordable option than the range-topping Porsche 911, but the Cayman still offers the sporty and powerful performance for which Porsche is so well-known. Key competitors for the Porsche 718 Cayman include the Audi TT, Alfa Romeo 4C, and Corvette Stingray.
Traveling This Summer? Check out these premiere Midwestern spring travel destinations
What’s New for the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman?
The biggest changes for the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman come underneath its hood. Gone are the flat-six engines from the previous model year and in come a pair of turbo-fours that offer increased torque, horsepower, and fuel economy. The exterior of the vehicle also has been slightly revised and now comes with new bi-xenon headlamps, a reshaped grille, and a wider front end. The interior also features design changes, as well as new standard technology. The 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman is available in two trim levels: 718 Cayman and 718 Cayman S.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Photos:
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Exterior
The exterior of the new 718 Cayman looks nearly identical to that of the 2017 Porsche 718 Boxster, minus the drop-top roof, of course. The biggest visual changes to the new Cayman include wider air intakes, LED lights, and the redesigned rear fascia that includes a high-gloss black accent strip with integrated Porsche logotype. Overall, the 718 Cayman boasts a sleek and muscular appearance that compliments its often praised performance capabilities. The 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman comes standard with 18-inch alloy wheels; exterior color options include Miami Blue, Lava Orange, and Carmine Red.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
- 8 J x 18-inch Cayman alloy wheels with 235/45 ZR 18 performance summer tires (front); 9.5 J x 18-inch Cayman alloy wheels with 265/45 ZR 18 performance summer tires (rear); Automatically extending rear spoiler; Front fascia with integrated air intakes, outer intake slats painted in exterior color; Underbody paneling; PORSCHE and Boxster logotype on rear lid with chrome-colored finish; Aluminum doors and luggage compartment lid (front and rear); Central tailpipe in brushed stainless steel; Water-repellent coating on door windows; Grey top tint on windscreen; Windshield cleaning system with aerodynamic wiper blades, 2 permanent operation wiper speeds, and adjustable intermittent wipe functionality; Electrically adjustable and heated side mirrors on door panels; Bi-Xenon headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights; LED auxiliary light units in front fascia; LED taillights with integrated four-point brake lights and reversing light
Exterior available on the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S
- 8 J x 19-inch Cayman S alloy wheels with 235/40 ZR 19 performance summer tires (front); 10 J x 19-inch Cayman S alloy wheels with 265/40 ZR 19 performance summer tires (rear); Front fascia with integrated air intakes, outer intake slats in Black; PORSCHE and Boxster S logotype on rear lid with chrome-colored finish; Central twin-tube tailpipes in brushed stainless steel
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Performance
As previously mentioned, the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman offers the choice between two unique turbocharged four-cylinder engines. The entry-level 718 Cayman comes equipped with a 2.0-liter turbocharged flat-four engine rated at 300 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque, which is an increase of 67 lb-ft of torque over last year’s entry-level Cayman model. The other engine option is the 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-four motor that comes with the new 718 Cayman S. This 2.5-liter motor is good for 350 horsepower and 309 lb-ft of torque. That’s an increase of 37 lb-ft of torque over last year’s Cayman S. Also, Porsche is offering consumers the choice between a six-speed manual and seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission. According to estimates from Porsche, the 718 Cayman S with the PDK and available Sport Chrono Package is able to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just four seconds.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Efficiency
Fuel economy for the rear-wheel drive 718 Cayman varies depending on the consumer’s choice of powertrain:
- The base 718 Cayman with the 2.0-liter flat-four engine and manual transmission yields EPA-estimated fuel economy of 21 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
- The 718 Cayman equipped with the 2.0-liter flat-four motor and available PDK transmission yields EPA-estimated fuel economy of 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.
- The higher-level 718 Cayman S with the 2.5-liter flat-four engine and manual gearbox yields EPA-estimated fuel efficiency of 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
- The 718 Cayman S with the more powerful 2.5-liter flat-four engine and available PDK transmission produces EPA-estimated fuel economy of 21 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
The 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman comes standard with a 14.3 gallon fuel tank.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Interior
Besides coming with an updated exterior design and new engine options, the interior of the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman has also been revised. Porsche uses horizontal lines to give the dashboard a bold new design, and this coupe also comes standard with a new 918 Spyder sport steering wheel. In addition, Porsche Communication Management (PCM) now is standard, as well as an eight speaker Sound Package Plus audio system. The PCM system includes smartphone extensions that allow users to access Apple CarPlay and Porsche Car Connect. Furthermore, the new Porsche 718 Cayman provides 5.3 cubic feet of storage space in its front compartment and 9.7 cubic feet of cargo room in its rear compartment.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
- Power windows with one-touch operation; Interior orientation light and reading light spots; Footwell lighting; Climate control with integrated active carbon filter; Green tinted heat-insulating glass; Sport seats with electric backrest adjustment, manual height and position adjustment; Head rest integrated in seats; Steering wheel rim, gear lever, and door handle covered in leather in interior color; Sport steering wheel with manual fore/aft and height adjustment; Front and center console with storage console and lockage glove box; Dual cup-holders integrated behind decorative molding in dashboard; Vanity mirrors; Lockable glove compartment; Elevated center console with switch panel, open storage compartment, and enclosed storage compartment; Floor mats; Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including mobile phone preparation and audio interfaces; SiriusXM® Satellite Radio and HD Radio™ Receiver; Sound Package Plus sound system featuring 6 Speakers and 110 Watt output; Audio interfaces: CD/DVD drive, 11 GB internal jukebox storage, 2 USB slots and 2 SD card slots; Universal audio interface (AUX-IN, USB, iPod®) in the glove compartment for connection of external audio sources, operated through external device or on PCM (depending on device and connection used); Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone connection, using Hands Free Profile (HFP); HomeLink® programmable garage door opener
Interior available on the 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S
- Sport style pedals and footrest
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman Safety
Many people say a car’s braking system is its most important safety feature and Porsche uses tough, but lightweight brakes to aid in the 718 Cayman’s braking response times. The new 718 Cayman comes standard with four-piston aluminum monobloc fixed calipers that are finished in black on standard models. The new Cayman also offers advanced airbag technology that inflate in two stages depending on the seriousness of a potential incident. In addition, each new 718 Cayman features Bi-Xenon headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights in order to provide additional safety and visibility for everyone on the road.
Standard Safety Features
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera and acoustic proximity warning
- Porsche Side Impact Protection System (POSIP) for driver and front passenger with side impact protection elements, integral thorax airbags in seat backrests and head airbags in each door panel
- Front and rear deformation zones
- Supplemental safety bars behind driver and passenger seat headrests
- Side-guard door beams
- Dual front advanced airbags including knee airbag for driver and front passenger
- Seat belt pretensioners and load limiters