2017 Subaru Legacy Overview
The 2017 Subaru Legacy is a midsize sedan that comes standard with all-wheel drive and carries a starting MSRP of $21,995. In fact, the only other sedans in this segment that even offer AWD at all are the Chrysler 200 and Ford Fusion. However, AWD with those models is only available on the higher level, pricier trims. The Subaru Legacy also earned top safety ratings from the IIHS and NHTSA. Key competitors include the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Nissan Altima.
What’s New for the 2017 Subaru Legacy?
A new Sport trim is now offered with the 2017 Subaru Legacy. This new model will include distinctive 18-inch alloy wheels, a dark gray grille insert, and chrome-accented rocker sills. In addition, reverse automatic braking safety technology is now included with the EyeSight Driver Assist Technology package.
2017 Subaru Legacy Photos:
2017 Subaru Legacy Exterior
The 2017 Subaru Legacy features a simple exterior design that won’t necessarily take your breath away, but it won’t repel you, either. The new Subaru Legacy comes standard with 17-inch steel wheels, while larger aluminum alloy wheels are also available at an extra charge. Other optional equipment offered with the 2017 Subaru Legacy includes a sunroof and uniquely designed fog lamps, while exterior color options include Ice Silver Metallic, Crystal White Pearl, and Twilight Blue Metallic.
2017 Subaru Legacy Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
- 17-inch steel wheels with covers, 225/55 R17 97V all-season tires, Projector-beam halogen headlights, Black folding side mirrors, Two-speed windshield wipers, Auto-on/off wiper-linked headlights
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5 i Premium
- Adding to or replacing standard 2.5i features: 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, Body-color folding side mirrors, Single chrome exhaust outlet, Windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors (All-Weather Package)
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sport
- Adding to or replacing 2.5i Premium features: 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with black machine finish, 225/50 R18 95H all-season tires, Satin silver-finish folding side mirrors w/ integrated turn signals, Power Moonroof, Rocker spoiler with chrome trim, Fog lights
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited
- Adding to or replacing standard 2.5i Sport features: 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with gray machine finish, HID projector headlights, Body-color folding side mirrors w/ integrated turn signals
Exterior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited
- Adding to or replacing standard 2.5i Limited features: Dual chrome exhaust outlets
2017 Subaru Legacy Performance
Consumers looking at the 2017 Subaru Legacy can pick between two different engines. The standard motor is a 2.5-liter four-cylinder that’s good for 175 horsepower and 174 lb-ft of torque. For a little more juice, Subaru also offers a 3.6-liter six cylinder engine that’s rated at 256 horsepower and 247 lb-ft of torque. Both of these engines come matched with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). However, neither of these engines provide overwhelming acceleration, which might be due to the sedan’s curb weight of approximately 3,500 pounds when equipped with the four-cylinder. That figure increases by another 200 pounds when the sedan is loaded with the six-cylinder.
2017 Subaru Legacy Efficiency
Fuel efficiency for the 2017 Subaru Legacy differs depending on which engine is equipped underneath the hood. The Legacy with the standard four-cylinder motor provides EPA-estimated fuel economy of 25 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway. In contrast, the Subaru Legacy with the six-cylinder yields 20 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. Consumers looking at those fuel ratings should remember the Legacy comes standard with all-wheel drive, which is known to bring down efficiency ratings. Every 2017 Subaru legacy comes standard with a 18.5 gallon fuel tank.
2017 Subaru Legacy Interior
Much like the sedan’s exterior, the cabin of the new Subaru Legacy is also conservative and straightforward. A rearview camera and 6.2-inch touchscreen come standard, while consumers who opt for the new Sport trim will be treated to multicolored cloth upholstery and a unique dashboard design that features carbon fiber-patterned accents. Subaru also used noise-insulating materials when designing the cabin, which has made the interior quieter and even more comfortable. The trunk of the Legacy provides 15 cubic feet of cargo space.
2017 Subaru Legacy Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
- 6-way manually adjustable driver’s seat, Cloth upholstery, Silver metallic accent trim with knurled finish, 3-spoke steering wheel with integrated controls, Manually adjustable tilt/telescoping steering column, Eight cup and bottle holders, Trunk underfloor storage tray, LCD color screen displaying vehicle functions, Manually adjustable CFC-free air conditioning system, STARLINK™ 6.2-inch Multimedia system, 4 speakers
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5 i Premium
- Adding to or replacing standard 2.5i features: 10-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Heated front seats (All-Weather Package), 60/40-split flat-folding rear seatbacks, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle, auto-up / auto-down driver’s window with anti-pinch protection, Dual-zone climate control, Electronic parking brake, Electronic cruise control, Dual USB ports, Electroluminescent analog Instruments, STARLINK™ 7-inch multimedia plus system, 6 speakers
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sport
- Adding to or replacing 2.5i Premium features: Carbon fiber-patterned interior trim with gloss black accents, Keyless access with push-button start, Auto-dimming rear view compass mirror with HomeLink®
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited
- Adding to or replacing standard 2.5i Sport features: 10-way power driver and passenger seat, Heated rear seats (All-Weather Package), Leather-trimmed upholstery, Matte woodgrain-patterned accent trim, Harman Kardon speaker system
Interior available on the 2017 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited
- Contains the same interior features as the 2.5i Limited.
2017 Subaru Legacy Safety
Besides coming standard with traction and stability control, a rearview camera, and antilock brakes, Subaru also offers its EyeSight Driver Assist Technology package with the 2017 Legacy. This tech package adds safety features such as adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, and rear cross traffic alert. Moreover, new for the 2017 model year is reverse automatic braking technology, which uses four sensors located in the rear bumper to detect and prevent impending low speed accidents. While the 2017 Subaru Legacy has yet to be safety tested by either the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the similarly designed 2016 model was named a Top Safety Pick+ by the IIHS and earned the best possible safety rating of five stars from the NHTSA.
Standard Safety Features
- Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS)
- Brake assist
- Traction control system (TCS)
- Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
- Daytime running lights (DRL)
- Rear-vision camera
- Dual-stage-deployment airbags
- Subaru advanced frontal airbag system (SRS)
- Side curtain airbags (SRS)
- Front-seat side pelvis / torso airbags (SRS)
- Driver and front passenger seat cushion airbags (SRS)
- Height-adjustable 3-point front seatbelts
- Rear door child safety locks
- LATCH system
- Brake override system
- Anti-theft security system
Tim Shults likes to play golf and spend time with his four daughters.