2017 Toyota Corolla iM Overview
Following the demise of Scion and thus of the Scion iM, the lovable sporty hatchback has returned under the Toyota nameplate as the 2017 Toyota Corolla iM. Its peppy engine and spirited handling offers drivers a way to truly enjoy the road while turning heads and still getting very reasonable mileage—all at under $20,000.
The 2017 Toyota Corolla iM is available in a single trim level.
Four-Door Version: The 2017 Toyota Corolla sedan
What’s New for the 2017 Toyota Corolla iM?
The 2017 Toyota Corolla iM is the successor to the 2016 Scion iM, and while the badge at the front and rear may be different, the rest is almost entirely unchanged. The one change of note is the addition of Toyota Safety Sense C, a suite of driver-assist technologies that includes pre-collision braking, lane departure warning, and automatic high beams.
2017 Toyota Corolla iM Exterior
The 2017 Toyota Corolla iM’s exterior is clearly designed with sportiness in mind, from the menacing headlights and aggressive lower body panels to the sweptback roofline and sharp LED taillights. It even comes with an available TRD accessories that lower the springs, switch the window trim to carbon fiber, and add eye-catching body graphics. Yet even as the Toyota Corolla iM is meant to turn heads, it also tries not to overdo it; there’s a certain elegance to its design that makes it visually appropriate for more than just adrenaline-fueled young drivers.
The Corolla iM is available in the following six exterior colors: Classic Silver Metallic, Blizzard Pearl, Black Sand Pearl, Electric Storm Blue, Barcelona Red Metallic, and Spring Green Metallic.
2017 Toyota Corolla iM Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Corolla iM:
- Projector-beam halogen headlights with auto on/off feature, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), LED taillights, Front grille with honeycomb mesh pattern and piano-black accents, Color-keyed power-folding heated outside mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, Color-keyed outside door handles, Rear spoiler, Body kit, 17-inch alloy wheels, P225/45R17 tires, Variable intermittent windshield wipers, Intermittent rear window wiper, Chrome-tipped exhaust, Color-keyed roof-mounted antenna
2017 Toyota Corolla iM Performance
The 2017 Toyota Corolla iM is powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder that makes 137 horsepower and 126 lb-ft of torque. That power is directed to the front wheels via a standard six-speed manual transmission or an optional continuously variable transmission (CVT), which includes a seven-speed simulated sequential-shift mode. The Corolla iM can also be put into “Sport” mode to increase throttle response and add some weight to the electric power steering.
2017 Toyota Corolla iM Efficiency
The 2017 Toyota Corolla iM gets 27 mpg city, 35 mpg highway, and 30 mpg combined when equipped with the six-speed manual transmission. When equipped with the CVT, the numbers go up to 28 mpg city, 36 mpg highway, and 31 mpg combined. All models run on regular gasoline.
2017 Toyota Corolla iM Interior
Functionality is at the heart of the 2017 Toyota Corolla iM’s interior design philosophy, which is best seen in the straightforward audio and climate controls as well as how the adjustable steering column and symmetrical armrests provide a neutral driving position. The six-way front bucket seats are quite comfortable and supportive and the rear seats are surprisingly roomy given the overall size of the car. At the very back, cargo space exceeds the competition at 20.8 cubic feet. What customers will love most is how the 2017 Toyota Corolla iM comes standard with many features that would be options on other, similar cars, such as the Toyota Safety Sense C suite of active safety technologies, dual-zone automatic climate control, and a six-speaker display audio system with Bluetooth wireless streaming.
2017 Toyota Corolla iM Interior Photos:
Interior available on Corolla iM:
- Features: Dual zone automatic climate control with dust and pollen filter and push-button controls, Sport fabric-trimmed six-way adjustable driver’s seat with seatback pocket, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat with seatback pocket, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat with center armrest and two cup holders, Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic three-spoke steering wheel with controls, Sport instrumentation cluster, Power door locks, Power windows with driver-side one-touch up/down, Overhead console with maplights, Center console with storage compartment
- Radio and Technology: Normal and Sport drive modes (automatic transmission only), Toyota iM Display Audio, Seven-inch touch-screen display, AM/FM player, Aha Radio™ app with over 100,000 stations, Six speakers, Auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology, HD Radio™ Technology, Gracenote® album cover art, Multi-function in-key remote keyless entry system
2017 Toyota Corolla iM Safety
The 2017 Toyota Corolla iM comes with all of the usual standard safety features, including antilock disc brakes, stability and traction control, front seat side airbags, and side curtain airbags. It also comes with a driver knee airbag and front passenger seat-cushion airbag. Though the 2017 model has yet to be tested by the NHTSA and the IIHS, the 2016 Scion iM received the highest possible score of “Good” in the IIHS’s side and moderate overlap front crashworthiness evaluations.
As mentioned, the 2017 Toyota Corolla iM also comes standard with the Toyota Safety Sense C suite of active safety technologies, which includes pre-collision braking, lane departure warning, and automatic high beams.
Standard Safety Features
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA)
- Toyota Safety Sense™ C (TSS-C)
- Pre-Collision System (PCS)
- Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Star Safety System
- Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
- Traction Control (TRAC)
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- Eight airbags
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- ToyotaCare featuring a no cost maintenance plan with roadside assistance
More Toyota Tech: New Toyota technologies are making a splash
- Tim ShultsContributor
Tim Shults is the President of the Shults Auto Group. In his spare time he likes to play golf and spend time with his four daughters. Shults Auto Group is the largest auto group in the Southern tier. With over 400 employees, Shults Auto Group has 11 different dealerships carrying 15 different makes and 2 strictly used car stores, Shults Toyota, Ed Shults Chevrolet Cadillac, Shults Chevrolet of Westfield, Edmond Chevrolet Buick GMC, Ed Shults Ford Lincoln of Jamestown, Kia of Jamestown, Ed Shults Subaru of Warren, Shults Hyundai, Ed Shults Chrysler Dodge Jeep of Warren, Shults Resale, Shults Resale Olean, and Shults Nissan.