2017 Toyota Prius v Overview
The 2017 Toyota Prius v is the car you go look for on the dealership lots when you want the biggest car you can get that has the best possible fuel economy. It’s a compact hybrid wagon, which means it’s not quite as big as an SUV—though it gets close—and still manages to be as efficient as a hybrid sedan. For many families, that’s just the combination they’ve been looking for.
The Prius v is available in four trim levels: Two, Three, Four, and Five.
2017 Toyota Prius v Exterior
Despite its unusual dimensions, the 2017 Toyota Prius v is undoubtedly a part of the Prius family. It has the familiar long roofline and sharp rear cutoff, the high-mounted taillights, the LED headlights, and large signature Toyota grille that would make the car recognizable to anyone. These design choices aren’t purely for the sake of visuals, though; the rear cutoff helps improve cargo volume and the sloping roofline enhances aerodynamics. The rear window is quite large, too, providing good rearward visibility—not that you would need it much, as the Prius v comes standard with a rearview camera.
2017 Toyota Prius v Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on Two:
- Projector-beam halogen headlights with auto-off feature, Daytime Running Lights, LED taillights and stop lights, Heated power outside mirrors with folding feature, 16-inch ten-spoke alloy wheels, Intermittent rear window wiper, Rear spoiler
Exterior available on Three:
- No changes from Two
Exterior available on Four:
- No changes from Three
Exterior available on Five:
- LED accent lighting, Integrated foglights, 17-inch alloy wheels
2017 Toyota Prius v Performance
Under the hood of every 2017 Toyota Prius v is a 1.8-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine paired with a 60-kilowatt electric motor. Together, they send a net 134 horsepower to the front wheels through a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). It’s the same powertrain you’ll find in a regular Prius except that the transmission has been upgraded.
The Prius doesn’t have a reputation for speed and the Prius v, being heavier, shouldn’t either; however, the electric motor’s instant torque—all 153 lb-ft of it—makes the car ideal for zipping in and out of traffic in the city.
2017 Toyota Prius v Efficiency
Customers buy Prii for their efficiency and here the 2017 Toyota Prius v delivers. The EPA rates the hybrid wagon at 43/39/41 mpg city/highway/combined, which are numbers you’ll be hard-pressed to find on any other vehicle that size. Those numbers aren’t just theoretical, either; you’ll find they are easy to replicate in the real world. One side effect of the Prius v‘s excellent efficiency is its quietness (noise is just wasted energy, after all), making it a very pleasant ride when you want to keep things calm.
2017 Toyota Prius v Interior
The interior of the 2017 Toyota Prius v is a lot larger than it looks from the outside. Toyota has done well to pack enough room for five people to get comfortable while leaving plenty of cargo room in the back. The various possible configurations also make it possible to fold, split, and slide interior elements to make more room for the passengers or more for the cargo. Overall, customers will love the clean and modern interior design, the easy-to-use controls and instruments all gathered at the center of the instrument panel, and the numerous storage spots peppered all around the car for various objects and belongings.
2017 Toyota Prius v Interior Photos:
Interior available on Two:
- Features: Single-dial automatic climate control with air filtration, Fabric-trimmed front seats, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way adjustable fold-flat passenger seat, 60/40 split sliding reclining fold-down rear seats, Cruise control, Tilt/telescoping steering wheel with controls, Digital instrumentation, Power windows with auto-up/down and power locks, SofTex® center console, Cargo area under-floor storage, Cargo area tonneau cover, Two 12-volt auxiliary power outlets, Rear dome and cargo light
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Audio with Entune Multimedia Bundle, 6.1-inch touchscreen, AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA, six speakers, USB/AUX input, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone, Bluetooth® wireless technology, Siri® Eyes Free and integrated backup camera display, Smart Key System with Push Button Start
Interior available on Three:
- Features: Driver’s power lumbar support, Center armrest for rear seats
- Radio and Technology: 2-inch TFT Multi-Information Display, Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite with Entune Multimedia Bundle, HD Radio™, HD Radio predictive traffic and Doppler weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 3-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, Gracenote® album cover art
Interior available on Four:
- Features: SofTex®-trimmed heated front seats, Eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®
- Radio and Technology: No changes from Three
Interior available on Five:
- Features: Panoramic View Moonroof
- Radio and Technology: Available Entune Premium JBL® Audio, Available Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Available Safety Connect® and Pre-Collision System (PCS), Available Lane Departure Alert (LDA), Available Auto High Beams (AHB)
2017 Toyota Prius v Safety
The 2017 Toyota Prius v comes standard with antilock disc brakes, traction control, stability control, front side airbags, side curtain airbags, a driver’s side knee airbags, and a rearview camera. The Five trim offers the Advanced Technology package, which adds Toyota’s Safety Connect telematics—with stolen-vehicle locator and emergency assistance—as well as a pre-collision safety system that automatically brakes the car and tightens the seatbelts when an unavoidable crash is detected.
The 2016 model was named an IIHS Top Safety Pick+. Given that the 2017 model is structurally identical, we can expect it to receive the same score when it is evaluated.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™ with Smart Stop Technology®
- Advanced Airbag System
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening seats
- LATCH for outboard rear seating positions
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Vehicle Proximity Notification System
- Hill Start Assist Control
- Engine immobilizer
- Toyota Car with no-cost maintenance and roadside assistance
- Teresa WisemanContributor
Teresa Wiseman has been involved with the auto industry, specifically Toyota, basically since she was born. Danville Toyota, the dealership Teresa works at, is a true family owned and operated business and they consider the other employees as well as their customers to be a part of that as well. Danville Toyota truly wants to give their customers the best experience possible and they look forward to continuing the growth and improvement of their practices into the future.