2017 Toyota Yaris Overview
The 2017 Toyota Yaris is a subcompact hatchback that aims to satisfy customers seeking a small, efficient, and inexpensive car with decent practicality and resale value. Its performance won’t kick you in the butt and its styling will probably not make you fall in love, but it checks a lot of the right boxes, especially the one that matters most: value.
The 2017 Toyota Yaris is offered in three trim levels: L, LE, and SE. The L and LE are available as either a three-door or five-door model.
Meet the New Guy: The 2017 Toyota Yaris iA is a new addition to the lineup
What’s New for the 2017 Toyota Yaris?
As with most 2017 Toyota models, the 2017 Toyota Yaris now comes standard with the automaker’s new Safety Sense C suite of active safety technologies.
2017 Toyota Yaris Exterior
The appearance of the 2017 Toyota Yaris slightly depends upon whether you choose the three-door or five-door model; the former has a more coupe-like profile but the latter is a better choice if you expect to regularly bring more than a single passenger along for the ride, if only for the sake of more convenient access to the rear seats. The Yaris probably won’t turn faces in admiration but won’t get you looks of disgust, either. It’s small, cute, and you’d expect any driver that steps out of one to have a bubbly personality. Even so, you can still make it look a little racier on upper trims with black accents and a rear spoiler and diffuser.
The 2017 Toyota Yaris is available in the following exterior colors: Super White, Classic Silver Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, Ruby Flare Pearl, Blue Streak Metallic, Ruby Flare Pearl/Black Sand Pearl, and Crushed Ice/Black Sand Pearl.
2017 Toyota Yaris Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on L:
- Halogen headlights with chrome accents, Daytime Running Lights, Black front grille, Color-keyed outside mirrors, Color-keyed door handles, 15-inch steel wheels
Exterior available on LE (adds to or replaces features on L):
- Black front grille with chrome accent, Color-keyed power outside mirrors, 15-inch alloy wheels
Exterior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on LE):
- Projector-beam headlights with black sport trim and LED light bar accent, Integrated fog lights with chrome surround, LED Daytime Running Lights, Black front grille with piano-black accent, 16-inch machined alloy wheels
2017 Toyota Yaris Performance
The 2017 Toyota Yaris is a little car that needs but a little engine to make it go. Under the hood is a 1.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) that makes 106 horsepower and 103 lb-ft of torque, just enough to make the 2,300-lb car feel a little peppy, but not excessively so. Power is sent to the front wheels via either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission, which could use some updating to go against the competition’s smoother six-speeds or CVTs.
2017 Toyota Yaris Efficiency
The benefit of driving a small car with a small engine is big fuel economy. The 2017 Toyota Yaris gets 30 mpg in the city, 36 mpg on the highway, and 33 mpg combined when equipped with the five-speed manual transmission (provided you shift early and not at redline), and 30 mpg city, 35 mpg highway, and 32 mpg combined with equipped with the four-speed automatic.
2017 Toyota Yaris Interior
The 2017 Toyota Yaris’ interior is surprisingly pleasant, with plenty of soft-touch surfaces and a tasteful dash design that give it a premium feel despite the low cost, which is only enhanced by the standard 6.1-inch Entune touchscreen infotainment system. Unfortunately, while there is decent interior space in both the three-door and five-door models, you may find it difficult to get in the perfect driving position because of the lack of a telescoping steering column, and no amount of clever design tricks can make adults in the back seat forget the Yaris is a subcompact car with limited legroom.
2017 Toyota Yaris Interior Photos:
Interior available on L:
- Features: Air conditioning with air filter, Fabric-trimmed front seats, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way adjustable front passenger seat, 60/40-split fold-down rear seat, Three-spoke steering wheel
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Audio, 6.1-inch touchscreen, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, Six speakers, HD Radio™ Technology, Auxiliary audio jack, USB port, iPod connectivity, Hands-free phone capability, Bluetooth® wireless technology, Voice recognition, One 12-volt auxiliary power outlet
Interior available on LE (adds to or replaces features on L):
- Features: Three-spoke steering wheel with audio controls, Eco Driving Indicator and warning messages, Metallic interior accents with satin chrome door handles, Remote keyless entry system
- Radio and Technology: Cruise control
Interior available on SE (adds to or replaces features on LE):
- Features: Sport fabric-trimmed front seat, Leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls, Leather-trimmed shift lever, Sport analog driver information center
2017 Toyota Yaris Safety
For the 2017 model year, the Toyota Yaris is equipped with the automaker’s new Safety Sense C suite of active safety features, which includes automatic high-beam control, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, and lane departure warning. The Yaris received a four-star score for overall safety in government crash tests by the NHTSA and the highest rating of “Good” in all of the IIHS’s crashwortiness evaluations except in the “small overlap front” category, where it received a rating of “Moderate.”
Standard Safety Features
- Toyota Safety Sense™ C
- Pre-Collision System
- Lane Departure Alert
- Automatic High Beams
- Star Safety System™
- Nine airbags
- LATCH system
- Tire Pressure Monitor System