2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Overview
After Ford sold the Volvo luxury brand to Geely Holding Group during the Great Recession, the first priority of the Chinese company was to launch a second-generation XC90 SUV. This model finally arrived in 2015 as a 2016 model year vehicle and went on to win a plethora of coveted automotive awards, including the 2016 North American Truck of the Year Award. While the 2017 Volvo XC90 is offered with three capable powertrains, this particular overview covers the T8 plug-in hybrid model. For more information about the gasoline-powered XC90 SUV, click here.
Speaking Of The XC90: Check out the 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Momentum SUV
What’s new for the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8?
A new range-topping trim level has been added to the Volvo XC90 T8 this year. This model is called the Volvo XC90 Excellence. It differentiates itself from the other trims because it only supplies seating for four people, rather than seven. In addition, those two rear seats are both heated and ventilated. In between those seats is a built-in refrigerator which can be used to store beverages or other treats. To top things off, the Excellence trim is also available with a 20-speaker Bowers & Wilkins sound system.
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Photos:
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Exterior
The 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 features an elegant and refined exterior that commands attention, but does so without being too loud. The sleek lines along its sides give it an athletic look, while the Thor’s Hammer LED running lights give the XC90 its own unique flavor. All T8 models come standard with 20-inch diamond cut alloy wheels, as well as attention grabbing dual tailpipes and a boldly designed grille. Providing even more style is the Excellence trim, which adds larger 21-inch wheels and auto-dimming exterior mirrors. Exterior color options for the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 include Bursting Blue Metallic, Passion Red, and Ice White.
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Photos:
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription
- 20-inch 10-spoke tinted silver diamond cut alloy wheels, Inscription front grille design, Inscription dual integrated tailpipes, Headlight high-pressure cleaning, Rain sensor, Tempa spare wheel with jack kit, Windshield ticket holder
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 R-Design
- Adds to or replaces features on T8 Inscription: 20-inch five-spoke tech matte grey/diamond cut alloy wheels, R-Design dual integrated tailpipes, R-Design exterior mirror covers, R-design exterior styling, R-Design front décor elements, R-Design grille, R-Design silk metal window trim, Roof spoiler
Exterior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Excellence
- Adds to or replaces features on T8 R-Design: 21-inch eight-spoke silver bright/diamond cut alloy wheels, Excellence exterior styling, Auto-dimming exterior mirrors, Heated washer nozzles, Heated windshield, Power retractable mirrors
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Performance
The 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 receives its power from a combination of motors. The first of which is 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that’s both supercharged and turbocharged. This gasoline-powered engine works in conjunction with a rear electric motor to provide a total of 400 horsepower and 472 lb-ft of torque. That hybrid powertrain is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission, which allows the XC90 T8 to zip from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.3 seconds. What’s more, the new Volvo XC90 T8 SUV can tow up to 5,000 pounds thanks to all of that power beneath the hood, as well as underneath the floorboards.
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Efficiency
The 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 earns EPA-estimated fuel economy of 54 MPGe combined and has an all-electric driving range of 14 miles. However, once the battery has been exhausted, the Volvo XC90 T8 yields 25 mpg combined. The T8’s battery can be charged in approximately seven hours when using a 120-volt outlet, but a 240-volt charging station can reduce charging time to just two and a half hours. Furthermore, the XC90 T8 can recharge the battery itself via engine overrun or regenerative braking.
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Interior
While the interior of the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 is certainly luxurious, it does so without being over the top or gaudy. The cabin is thoughtfully laid out with real metal and matte-finished mood, which complements the 12-inch driver display that now supports Apple CarPlay. In addition, the new Excellence trim takes luxury to another level. This range-topping model comes with two captain’s chairs in the rear of the vehicle, replacing the two rows of seats that come with the Inscription and R-Design trim levels. Those captain’s chairs are covered in fine Nappa leather upholstery and rear passengers can also enjoy the Beverage refrigerator that comes standard with the Excellence model. As for storage room, there’s 85.7 cubic feet of available cargo space with all the seats folded downward.
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Interior Photos:
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription
- Leather steering wheel with Uni-Deco trim, Crystal gearshift knob by Orrefors®, Linear walnut wood inlays, Leather keyfob, Charcoal headliner, Illuminated metal sill plates, Full graphical instrument cluster, Nappa leather seats, High level interior illumination, Diamond-knurled control surfaces, Heated front seats, Power seat cushions, Power lumbar support, Power-folding rear head restraints, Power driver seat with memory, Four-zone electronic climate system, Adjustable rear air vents, CleanZone air quality system, Laminated panoramic moonroof with power sunshade, Third row air conditioning, Tinted windows, 12-inch driver display, Ambient temperature gauge, Apple CarPlay and USB hub, Center display, Cruise control, Rear park assist with camera, Sensus Connect with navigation, Steering wheel controls, Tire pressure monitoring system, Voice control, Volvo On Call, Audio streaming, 10-speaker 224-watt audio system, SiriusXM satellite radio with six-month subscription
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 R-Design
- Adds to or replaces features on T8 Inscription: R-design steering wheel, Metal mesh aluminum inlays, Perforated leather keyfob, Aluminum sport pedals, Perforated Nappa leather seats, R-Design steering wheel, Gearshift paddles, R-Design textile mats, Metal Mesh inlays, Black headliner, R-Design perforated leather gear knob, Contour sport leather seats
Interior available on the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Excellence
- Adds to or replaces features on T8 R-Design: Leather steering wheel with Uni-Deco trim, Heated steering wheel, Fine Nappa leather keyfob, Fine Nappa leather seats with advanced ventilation and massage functions, Orrefors® glasses in genuine Swedish crystal, Heated rear seats, Leather-clad grab handles and sun visors, Rear-folding tray tables, Rear foot rests, Center armrest with storage, Nubuck headliner, Rear heated/cooled cup holder, Leather-clad front seat backsides, Beverage cooler/refrigerator, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, 19-speaker 1400-watt Bowers & Wilkins audio system, Rear pop-up touch screen, 360-degree surround view camera, Blind Spot Information System and Cross Traffic Alert, Compass in interior rearview mirror, Graphical HUD, Semi-autonomous Pilot Assist system, Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping aid, Power outlet, Air-ventilated subwoofer, CD player, Two iPad® holders
2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Safety
In 2016, the Volvo XC90 SUV earned the best possible safety rating of five stars from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and was also named a Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Coming standard on every XC90 T8 are advanced safety features such as automatic emergency braking and frontal collision warning. Also available is the Convenience package, which includes adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, front parking sensors, and Park Pilot Assist. Furthermore, the New Run-off Road protection technology is available this year. This innovative system allows the safety belts to tighten around your body so the seat cushions can absorb any impact in the event of an accident.
Standard Safety Features
- Active Bending Lights
- Active High Beam
- City safety collision avoidance technology
- Daytime Running Lights
- Drive Alert Control
- Electronic stability control
- Lane Departure Warning
- Rear Collision Warning
- Road sign information
- Run-off road mitigation
- Driver and front passenger front and side impact airbags
- Inflatable curtain
- Roll stability control
- Seatbelts with pre-tensioners and load limiters
- Side impact protection system
- Whiplash protection system
- ISOFIX/Latch Attachment System
- Remote-controlled central locking system
- Keyless entry and drive
- Private locking
Fuel For Thought: Learn about some of the benefits that come with dealership financing