2018 Hyundai Accent Overview
While certainly not the most popular model in Hyundai’s lineup, the sub-compact Accent has plenty to offer for its price. Bearing a classy face-lift and a wealth of new options this year, the 2018 Accent deserves a closer look.
Is the Hyundai Accent Too Small for You? Perhaps you’d prefer the larger, stronger Elantra
What’s New for the 2018 Hyundai Accent?
A lot has changed for the Accent this year. In an effort to make the car more sophisticated, tech-savvy, and a better seller, Hyundai has redesigned the sub-compact for 2018. The body was re-engineered from the ground up, using more high-strength steel, a stiffer chassis, raised rear roll center, and new cascading grille shape. It’s bigger, too, adding 1.2 inches to its exterior with and .06 inches to its length; inside, total interior volume has been increased to 103.9 cubic feet. Even the powertrain and the included standard features have been improved.
2018 Hyundai Accent Exterior
Bearing a larger body and sharper body lines, the new 2018 Accent looks sophisticated for its class. A handful of new external features improve its look, including projector headlights with LED DRLs, a power sunroof, 17-inch alloy wheels, LED taillights, available fog lights, and the brand’s new signature grille. Body color options including standards like Absolute Black, upscale choices like Urban Grey, and eye-catching options like Pomegranate Red.
The 2018 Hyundai Accent is available at three trim levels: SE, SEL, and Limited. Each version adds additional included features that improve the Accent you’re buying.
2018 Hyundai Accent Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Accent
- SE trim adds: Body-color, dual power adjustable exterior mirrors; One-touch triple turn signal
- SEL trim adds: Automatic headlight control, Heated exterior mirrors, Driver’s blind spot mirror
- Limited trim adds: Fog lights, Projector headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights, LED tail lights, Side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Chrome window belt molding, Power-tilt-and-slide sunroof, 17-inch alloy wheels, Chrome grille, Hands-free smart trunk with auto open,
2018 Hyundai Accent Performance
All versions of the 2018 Accent come with one standard engine, which is a highlight of this year’s redesign: a 1.6-liter four-cylinder motor with a 16-valve with D-CVVT valve train. The transmission on the SE is a six-speed manual, while higher levels opt for the six-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC® and Active ECO System. This powertrain combination has a measured horsepower output of 130 and a decent 119 lb-ft of torque.
2018 Hyundai Accent Efficiency
Obviously, the 2018 Accent opts for fuel efficiency over power. Its 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine prioritizes your wallet by achieving an EPA-estimated 28 mpg on the highway and 28 mpg in the city (with slightly lower numbers for the manual transmission combination). For being a sub-compact, its fuel tank can hold nearly 12 gallons, which is large enough to cover many daily commutes.
2018 Hyundai Accent Interior
The Accent’s interior aims to stick to the essentials, forgoing luxuries like leather and high-tech cabin controls in favor of just basics to keep the price down. You can choose the Limited trim for gadgets like heated seats and a Forward Collision-avoidance Assist, but if you’re happy without those, the Accent’s MSRP starts around $15,000.
For being a sub-compact, the new Accent is surprisingly spacious, both for passengers and cargo. Total passenger volume is 90.2 cubic feet, offering 33.5 inches of legroom and 37.3 inches of headroom in the back seat. Cargo volume starts at 13.7 cubic feet but can be expanded to 103.9 cubic feet.
2018 Hyundai Accent Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Accent
- SE trim adds: Six-way adjustable driver seat, Driver’s seat height adjustment, Sliding and reclining front seat adjustments, 60/40 fold-down rear seats, Chrome door insert trim, Air conditioning, Rear window defroster with timer, Cruise control, Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls, Remote keyless entry system with alarm, AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with 5-inch color touchscreen and four speakers, Smartphone/USB and MP3 auxiliary input jacks, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system
- SEL trim adds: Driver’s sliding armrest storage box, Passenger-side seatback pocket, Exterior temperature display, Driver side auto-up window, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with voice recognition, Dual USB charging, 7-inch touchscreen display with six-speaker audio system, AM/FM/SiriusXM® Radio with Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™
- Limited trim adds: Premium cloth seating surfaces, Heated front seats, Automatic temperature control with Auto Defogging System, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Proximity Key with push button start, Forward Collision-avoidance Assist, Blue Link® Connected Services (3 years included), 3.5-inch mono TFT cluster display
2018 Hyundai Accent Safety
As the 2018 Accent has undergone a core redesign, its safety scores have not been released yet by the NHTSA or the IIHS. In the past, the Accent hasn’t received the best safety scores, so hopefully this restructuring of its frame and addition of essential safety tech will improve its numbers, bringing it up to the safety excellence of the rest of Hyundai’s lineup.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Hyundai Accent
- Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Four-wheel, four-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- Hillstart Assist Control (HAC)—automatic transmission only
- Occupant Classification System (OCS)
- Driver and front passenger advanced airbags
- Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Front seatbelt pretensioners
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Rear child safety locks
A Quality Family Vehicle: Benefits of buying the Hyundai Tucson crossover