2018 Hyundai Tucson Overview
As an affordable, reliable compact SUV with a stylish edge, the Tucson is becoming one of Hyundai’s hottest-selling models. As a versatile family vehicle and as a working-class transport, the newest Tucson deserves a closer look.
Meet the SUV Family: Information on the Tucson’s siblings in Hyundai’s lineup
What’s New for the 2018 Hyundai Tucson?
Little has changed for the Tucson’s 2018 model year. Apart from an upgraded multimedia system with better options at lower trim levels and a lower base price, the Tucson remains largely the same from last year. It still bears the same exterior design and trim level options that recent versions have, along with the same engine options from its redesign in 2016.
The 2018 Hyundai Tucson is available at five trim levels: SE, SEL, SEL Plus, Value, and Limited. All trims are available with either front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD).
2018 Hyundai Tucson Exterior
The Tucson bears the exterior design you’d expect from a compact crossover of its class: high window lines, plastic bumper/fender moldings, and a tall rear end. Style additions like its roof spoiler and signature hexagonal grille make it one of the more attractive entries in its class. Its bold body colors–like Sedona Sunset, Ruby Wine, and Caribbean Blue–also help it stand out.
Its wheelbase measures 105.1 inches and its length stretches over 176 inches.
2018 Hyundai Tucson Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Tucson
- SE trim adds: 17-inch alloy wheels; Dual-power, fold-away, heated, body-color side mirrors; Rear spoiler; Variable intermittent windshield wipers; Automatic halogen projector headlights; Roof-mounted Center High-Mount Stop Light (CHMSL); Front windshield wiper de-icer (standard on AWD only); Rear window defroster with timer; Driver’s blind spot mirror
- SEL trim adds: Roof rack side rails, Front fog lights, LED headlight accents, LED Daytime Running Lights
- SEL Plus trim adds: LED approach lights on front door handles, Side mirrors with turn-signal indicators, Shark-fin roof antenna
- Value trim adds: 19-inch Sport alloy wheels, 245/45HR19 tires, Panoramic sunroof with one-touch open and rear shade, Hands-free smart liftgate with auto open and adjustable height setting
- Limited trim adds: LED headlights and tail lights, Available HID headlights with Dynamic Bending Light (DBL), Shark-fin roof antenna
2018 Hyundai Tucson Performance
The 2018 Hyundai Tucson offers buyers the choice between two engine options.
The standard engine (included on the SE, SEL, and Plus trims) is a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder with a DOHC 16-valve with D-CVVT valve train, paired to a six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC. This engine performs at a horsepower capability of 164 and 151 lb-ft of torque.
The upgraded engine (included on the higher-end Value and Limited trims) is a 1.6-liter inline four-cylinder turbocharged engine also managed by a DOHC 16-valve with D-CVVT valve train. Paired to a snappy seven-speed EcoShift® dual clutch, this powertrain outputs 175 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque.
2018 Hyundai Tucson Efficiency
The 2018 Hyundai Tucson achieves average fuel efficiency ratings for its class and engine. The standard 2.0-liter motor offers an EPA-estimated average of 23 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway with FWD, 21 mpg in-city and 26 mpg on-highway with AWD. The 1.6-liter turbocharged engine actually boasts better fuel efficiency than that, with a FWD average of 25 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway, with AWD averaging slightly lower at 24 mpg city and 28 mpg highway.
2018 Hyundai Tucson Interior
Depending on what trim level of the Tucson you choose, the interior can be oriented as either a resilient family mover or an upscale business ride. The basic Tucson’s upholstery is YES Essentials cloth, designed to withstand common spills and crud. The SEL Plus level and higher replace that with leather seating surfaces and other leather touches throughout the cabin for a more business-professional demeanor.
As a five-seater, the Tucson has a passenger volume of 102.2 cubic feet and cargo volume of 31 cubic feet (which can be extended to a generous 61.9 cubic feet with the rear seats folded).
2018 Hyundai Tucson Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Hyundai Tucson
- SE trim adds: Cloth seating surfaces, YES Essentials cloth, 60/40 split fold-down and reclining rear seats, Six-way adjustable driver seat, Dual level cargo floor, Rear center armrest with cup holders, Cargo area light, Steering-wheel-mounted controls, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system, USB and auxiliary input jacks, AM/FM/SiriusXM®/CD/MP3 audio system with six speakers, 5-inch color touchscreen, 3.5-inch multi-information display, Outside temperature display, Three 12-volt outlets
- SEL trim adds: Power windows with driver’s auto-up/down with pinch protection, Eight-way power driver seat with power adjustable lumbar support, Heated front seats, 7-inch color touchscreen display audio system, Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™, HD Radio™, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
- SEL Plus trim adds: Leather seating surfaces, Eight-way power passenger seat, Premium instrument panel, Dual automatic temperature control with auto defogging system and CleanAir Ionizer, Floor console-mounted rear A/C vents, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, 8-inch color touchscreen with navigation and Infinity® Premium Audio System, Clari-Fi™ Music Restoration Technology with external amp and eight speakers, Proximity key entry with push button start, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass, Blue Link® Connected Car System, Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Value trim adds: Dual automatic temperature control with auto defogging system and CleanAir Ionizer, Floor console-mounted rear A/C vents, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, Front and rear LED maplights, Proximity key entry with push button start, Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Rear parking sensors
- Limited trim adds: Eight-way power passenger seat, Leather seating surfaces, Available ventilated front seats, Available heated rear seats, Heated steering wheel, 8-inch color touchscreen with navigation and Infinity® Premium Audio System, Clari-Fi™ Music Restoration Technology with external amp and eight speakers, Available 4.2-inch color LCD multi-information display with electroluminescent gauge cluster, Blue Link® Connected Car System
2018 Hyundai Tucson Safety
Hyundai vehicles are known for their safety, and that reputation certainly applies to the 2018 Tucson. The crossover earned a full five-star safety rating from the NHTSA and high enough crash test marks to receive a designation as an IIHS Top Safety Pick. Its standard headlights and rollover resistance are the vehicle’s only shortcomings from earning perfect ratings.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Hyundai Tucson
- Rear view camera
- Front seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters
- Rear child safety locks
- Anti-theft system integrated w/remote keyless entry and panic alarm
- Advanced dual front airbags (SRS)
- Front crumple zone
- Dual front seat-mounted side-impact airbags (SRS)
- Electronic Shift Lock System
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Adjustable front-seat shoulder belt anchors
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with four-wheel disc brakes
- Body-side reinforcements
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Traction Control (TCS)
- Front/rear roof-mounted side-curtain airbags (SRS) w/rollover sensors
- Vehicle Stability Management
- Power window lock-out button
New Crossover on the Block: Details on the brand-new Kona coming to Hyundai dealerships