2018 Lexus RX Overview
Coming in with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, conventional or hybrid, and now two-row or three-row is the 2018 Lexus RX, the mid-size luxury SUV that shows off the luxury brand’s vision and abilities.
One Step Smaller: Check out the RX’s smaller sibling, the 2018 Lexus NX
What’s New for the 2018 Lexus RX?
For 2018, Lexus has added two new versions of the RX: the RX 350L and the RX 450hL, although at time of writing the 450hL is still pending, per Lexus’ website. These models are basically the same as the RX 350 and 450h, but feature an extended body and third row of seating.
2018 Lexus RX Photos:
2018 Lexus RX Exterior
The exterior of the RX was created with an angular design concept, lining it up nicely with the rest of the brand’s vehicles with the sharp spindle grille and floating roof concept. And, like the other vehicles in the Lexus stable, the RX can receive a visual upgrade by choosing one of the F SPORT trims, which add both distinctive design elements but also a host of suspension and performance upgrades.
2018 Lexus RX Exterior Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 350
- 18-inch alloy wheels, P235/65VR18 BSW all-season tires, Rear spoiler, Rain-sensing wipers
Exterior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 350L
- P235/65VR18 BSW M+S tires, Roof rails, Electrochromic outside mirrors
Exterior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 350 F SPORT
- P235/55VR20 BSW all-season tires, Adaptive Variable Suspension, F SPORT exclusive styling, Optional roof rails, Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM)
Exterior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 450h
- Exterior glass with UV reduction, Rain-sensing windshield wipers, 18-inch seven-spoke alloy wheels, Rear spoiler, Automatic on/off LED headlights, Heated exterior mirrors
Exterior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 450h F SPORT
- F SPORT front bumper, F SPORT badging, Signature upper and lower grille inserts, Auto-dimming exterior mirrors, 20-inch alloy wheels with Dark Graphite finish
2018 Lexus RX Performance
The 2018 RX comes with one of two engines. The first of the two is a 3.5-liter V6 which produces 295 hp and 268 lb-ft of torque, which comes in the various RX 350 models.
Above that is the powertrain in the RX 450h models, which combines a 3.5-liter V6 engine with an electric drive motor to produce 308 total hp at a far lower gas cost.
2018 Lexus RX Efficiency
The 2018 RX’s fuel economy changes based on which powertrain it uses, whether it uses all-wheel drive or front-wheel drive, and whether or not it is an “L” model (450hL excluded since it isn’t available yet).
In the RX 350, then, with front-wheel drive it delivers 20/27/23 mpg city/highway/combined. With all-wheel drive, that drops slightly to 19/26/22 mpg city/highway/combined.
In the RX 450h, there is only an all-wheel drive model available, which makes 31/28/30 mpg city/highway/combined.
Finally, the RX 350L in front-wheel drive makes 19/26/22 mpg city/highway/combined, and in all-wheel drive makes 18/25/21 mpg city/highway/combined.
2018 Lexus RX Interior
The base models of the Lexus RX hold five passengers, although in “L” models, that expands to seven. Either way, the cabin is well-treated with all the luxury features Lexus has to muster, particularly as the RX has been one of the brand’s best-selling vehicles. Each model comes with comfortable features like multi-zone climate control (even giving third-row passengers a dedicated climate control panel), while also offering great extras like an optional panorama glass moonroof.
2018 Lexus RX Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 350
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel, Steering wheel-mounted controls, Driver and passenger multi-adjustable power seat, Folding second row seat, Multi-zone climate control, Five passenger capacity, Drive Mode Select, NuLuxe interior trim
- Bluetooth® technology, Electronic parking camera, Nine speakers, Voice activated controls, Real-time traffic information (subscription required), SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (subscription required), Adaptive cruise control, SmartAccess key system, Multi-function remote, Lexus Enform Remote®, HD Radio™ with iTunes® tagging, Subscription-free traffic and weather, Siri® Eyes Free, Scout® GPS Link, HomeLink® system, USB-equipped center console, Lexus Safety System+, Smart Stop Technology, Backup camera with dynamic gridlines
Interior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 350L
- Seven passenger capacity, Power-folding third-row seats
Interior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 350 F SPORT
- Heated front seats, Five passenger capacity, Signature bolstered sport seats, Ambient lighting
- LFA-inspired digital instrumentation
Interior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 450h
- Steering wheel-mounted controls, Automatic multizone climate control, 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, Eight-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat, NuLuxe interior trim, Power tilt and telescopic steering wheel, Self-gripping cup holders, Heated front seats, Leather-trimmed steering wheel, Electrochromic rearview mirror
- Voice command, Lexus Enform Service Connect, Bluetooth® audio technology, SmartAccess, HD Radio™ with iTunes® tagging, Lexus Enform Remote, Subscription-free Traffic and Weather service via HD Radio™, Siri® Eyes Free, HomeLink® universal transceiver system, Scout® GPS Link, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, USB-equipped center console, 12-speaker audio system, Auxiliary input jack, Adaptive Cruise Control, 12-volt power outlet
Interior features available on the 2018 Lexus RX 450h F SPORT
- Specially bolstered sport seats, Aluminum pedals, Perforated leather-trimmed steering wheel, Exclusive stitching, Heated and ventilated front seats, Ambient interior lighting
- LFA-inspired digital instrumentation, Lexus memory system
2018 Lexus RX Safety
The Lexus RX pulls in fantastic ratings for its safety, with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration awarding the all-wheel-drive RX 350 a full five stars (the front-wheel drive version managed to get four stars), and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety named it a 2018 Top Safety Pick with Superior front crash prevention (the RX only missed being named Top Safety Pick+ due to its headlights, which the IIHS rated “Acceptable,” one spot down from the top mark of “Good”).
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Lexus RX
- Vehicle Stability Control
- Electronic traction control
- Brake Assist System
- Tire pressure monitor
- Panic button
- 10-airbag system
- Vehicle Proximity Notification System
- Lexus Safety System+