2018 Mazda CX-5 Overview
In a world saturated with boring beigemobiles, Mazda has become a beacon for interesting, fun vehicles, none of which sell better than the Mazda CX-5, back once again for 2018.
One Step Larger: Coming in second in sales is this, the Mazda CX-9
What’s New for the 2018 Mazda CX-5?
Since Mazda redesigned the CX-5 for the 2017 model year, mostly it carries over unchanged to the 2018 model year, although it now has a leather-wrapped steering wheel and blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert as standard equipment, as well as brand new cylinder-deactivation technology, which deactivates the two outside cylinders at highway speeds to save on fuel.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Exterior
The exterior of the CX-5 is unchanged from last year, featuring amenities such as LED headlights and side-mirror-integrated turn signals. Generally, the CX-5 comes in tones of black, white, and gray, with the addition of a dark blue, a light blue, and of course, the brand’s trademark Soul Red.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport
- LED headlights, Daytime Running Lights, Auto-off headlights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Intermittent rear wiper/washer, Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated turn signals, Body-colored door handles, Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna, Body-colored rear roof spoiler, Dual exhaust outlets with bright finish, 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring
- LED Headlights with Auto-leveling, Auto on/off headlights, High Beam Control, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
- LED Daytime Running Lights, LED fog lights, LED Combination taillights, Adaptive Front-lighting System, Power Rear Liftgate with programmable height adjustment, Body-colored heated power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
2018 Mazda CX-5 Performance
Each 2018 CX-5 comes equipped with a SKYACTIV®-G 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, producing 187 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque. Each can also be equipped with either front-wheel drive or the brand’s i-ACTIV AWD® system (always a popular choice among Mazda drivers).
2018 Mazda CX-5 Efficiency
Thanks to the CX-5’s new cylinder-deactivation system, the crossover offers slightly better fuel efficiency than previous years, delivering 25/31 mpg city/highway in front-wheel drive models and 24/30 mpg city/highway for models with i-ACTIV AWD®.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Interior
The mid-size CX-5 carries up to five passengers in two rows of seating, with a split 40/20/40-split-folding rear row of seating for a maximum cargo volume of 59.6 cubic feet of space, or 30.9 cubic feet with the seats up.
2018 Mazda CX-5 Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport
- Air conditioning with pollen filter, Six-way manual adjustable driver’s seat, Four-way manual adjustable front passenger seat, 40/20/40 split one-touch fold-down and reclining rear seatback, Cloth-trimmed seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped gear selector
- Remote keyless illuminated entry system with “answer back” feature, Push Button Start, 12-volt power outlets, 7-inch full-color touch screen display, AM/FM/MP3 four-speaker audio system with automatic level control, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability, HD Radio™, Rearview Camera, MAZDA CONNECT™ Infotainment System, Auxiliary audio input jack, Dual front USB inputs
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter, Six-way power driver’s seat with manual lumbar support, Six-way manual front passenger seat with seat height adjuster, Heated front seats, Leatherette seats with Lux Suede® inserts
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System, AM/FM/MP3 six-speaker audio system with automatic level control, Dual front and rear USB inputs, Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Smart Brake Support, Lane Departure Warning with Lane-keep Assist
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Eight-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support and two-position memory, Six-way power front passenger seat, Leather-trimmed seats
- Bose® 10-speaker audio system with Centerpoint® 2 and AudioPilot® 2, Mazda Navigation System, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 4-month trial subscription
2018 Mazda CX-5 Safety
The CX-5 is equipped with the usual array of safety features, including a system of airbags, 3-point seatbelts for all positions, a Ring Structure unibody, and LATCH rear child safety seat anchors and upper tether anchors. In addition, though, the CX-5 now comes standard with some of the brand’s active safety features, including Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Smart City Brake Support (aka low-speed automatic braking).
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Mazda CX-5
- Advanced front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brake Force Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control and Traction Control System
- Hill Launch Assist
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Smart City Brake Support
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- LATCH rear seat child safety seat anchors & upper tether anchors
One Step Smaller: For distinct Mazda flavor in a compact SUV, see the Mazda CX-3