2018 Mazda CX-9 Overview
At the top of the Mazda lineup is the three-row flagship crossover, the 2018 CX-9, nicely updated for the new model year, and available with the very best that the brand has to offer.
More Mazda: Meet the top Mazda for Japan
What’s New for the 2018 Mazda CX-9?
For 2018, like much of the Mazda lineup, the CX-9 is getting several upgrades for a small price bump. The starting MSRP is now $32,130, up $610 from the 2017 model. For that $600 increase, the CX-9 gets various newly standard features, such as Smart City Brake Support, which is the brand’s low-speed automatic braking system, as well as Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, and G-Vectoring Control.
The CX-9 is also getting an improved second row of seats, better sound insulation, and a smattering of standard and available features spread across its trim levels (which you can get more details on here).
2018 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Exterior
The 2018 CX-9’s exterior is carried over from 2017, which means it still benefits from the brand’s KODO: Soul of Motion design language on a three-row crossover. The CX-9 is the brand’s flagship, and comes in a selection of stately colors, including a number of black, white, and silver colors, as well as the trademark Soul Red and Deep Crystal Blue Metallic.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- LED Headlights with auto off and auto height control, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED Combination taillights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Intermittent rear wiper/washer, Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated LED turn signal lamps, Dual exhaust outlets, 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- LED Headlights with auto on/off and auto height control, High Beam Control, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Heated side mirrors, Power rear liftgate with programmable height adjustment
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- LED fog lights, Adaptive front lighting system, Windshield wiper de-icer, Chrome lower body molding, Aluminum roof rails in satin chrome finish, 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- LED grille accent lighting
2018 Mazda CX-9 Performance
The 2018 CX-9 is powered by a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder SKYACTIV-G engine, which produces 227 hp on unleaded fuel or 250 hp on premium, and 310 lb-ft of torque. This engine is connected to a six-speed automatic transmission with either a front-wheel drive or i-ACTIV all-wheel drive system.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Efficiency
The 2018 CX-9, when equipped with front-wheel drive, delivers 22 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. These numbers drop a little bit when switched to the all-wheel drive to 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Interior
The CX-9 holds up to seven passengers across three rows of seating, with a 60/40-split-folding second row and 50/50-split-folding third row for total passenger volume of 135.1 cubic feet. With the seats folded, the CX-9 has a maximum space of 71.2 cubic feet, with 38.2 cubic feet with the just the third row folded, and 14.4 cubic feet with all the seats up.
2018 Mazda CX-9 Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- Three-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter, Six-way manual adjusted driver’s seat, Four-way manual front passenger seat, 60/40 split fold-down and reclining second-row seats with tilt and slide third-row access, 50/50 split fold-down third-row seats, Cloth trimmed seating, Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Push-button start; Two 12-volt power outlets; 7-inch full-color touchscreen display; AM/FM/HD Radio™ audio system with automatic level control and six speakers; Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming capability; MAZDA CONNECT™ Infotainment System; Aha™, Pandora® , and Stitcher™ internet radio integration; Auxiliary-audio input jack; Dual USB audio input
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- Auto dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Power front passenger seat, Heated front seats, Leather-trimmed seats (first and second-row outboard seating positions)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System, 8-inch full-color touchscreen display, Four-port USB input
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade, LED accent lighting, Genuine aluminum interior trim, Second-row retractable window sunshades, Power driver’s seat with power lumbar support and 2-position memory, Heated second-row seats, Heated steering wheel
- Bose® Centerpoint 2® Surround Sound audio system with AudioPilot and 12 speakers, HD Radio™, Mazda Navigation System
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- Genuine Rosewood inlays, Nappa leather-trimmed seats (first and second-row outboard seating positions), Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
2018 Mazda CX-9 Safety
Like the rest of the Mazda lineup (minus the MX-5 Miata, which hasn’t been crash tested, likely due to its status as a small sports car), the CX-9 comes with impressive crash test ratings, earning the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety’s top award of Top Safety Pick+, meaning it scored top marks in all crash tests, had a “Superior”-rated front crash prevention system, and “Adequate”-rated headlights.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Mazda CX-9
- Advanced front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brake force Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control System and Trailer Stability Assist
- Rearview camera
- Roll Stability Control
- Hill Launch Assist
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Smart City Brake Support
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
- LATCH Second-row seat child safety seat anchors & upper tether anchors
Love Mazda? Check out the legendary Mazda Miata