2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Overview
The Mazda MX-5 Miata has long stood as an icon on the roadways, a two-seat roadster with undeniably fun driving dynamics. Today, the MX-5 Miata is two model years out from the fourth-generation redesign, and continues to be improved, both in its soft top and targa-style hard top versions.
What’s New for the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata?
For 2018, Mazda announced a good handful of updates:
- Available Dark Cherry soft top
- Available Auburn Nappa leather interior (Previously only in 2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition)
- New exterior paint color options: Soul Red Crystal, Machine Gray Metallic, Snowflake White Pearl Mica, Eternal Blue Mica
- Heated cloth seats
- Fully standard revised MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system with 7-inch full-color touchscreen display
- Fully standard multi-function Commander
- Standard HD Radio connectivity
- Revised sun visors
- Fully standard Advanced Smart Keyless Entry
- Retuned rear suspension and power steering for improved performance, ride comfort and NVH
- New Brembo/BBS RECARO Package with heated RECARO seats, aerodynamic side sill extensions, rear bumper skirt, forged 17-inch BBS wheels, and front Brembo brakes
- Heated, black leather seats added to Brembo/BBS Package
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Photos:
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Exterior
For 2018, the Mazda MX-5 Miata got some snazzy new colors for its exterior, both in paint color and in the available Dark Cherry soft top. Other than that, the Miata still sports the same exterior, with an eager-looking KODO: Soul of Motion design scheme.
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Exterior Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport
- LED headlights and taillights, Daytime Running Lights, Body-color bumpers and door handles, Aluminum hood and trunk lid, Solar-control/tinted windshield, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Cloth convertible top, Black power side mirrors, Rear-mounted mast antenna
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club
- LED Daytime Running Lights, Black front air dam, Rear-mounted mast antenna and “shark fin” antenna, Black rear lip spoiler
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring
- Auto on/off headlights, Adaptive Front-lighting System, High Beam Control, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Body-color heated power side mirrors, Auto-dimming driver’s side mirror
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Club
- Aluminum hood and trunk lid, Rear lip spoiler, LED Headlights, Solar-control/tinted windshield, Black front air dam, Power-retractable fastback roof in body color with black accents
Exterior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Grand Touring
- Auto on/off headlights; Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS); High Beam Control; Rain-sensing, variable-intermittent windshield wipers; Body-color, heated, power side mirrors
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Performance
The 2018 Mazda Miata, no matter the version, is powered by a SKYACTIV®-G 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, which makes 155 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque—plenty of power for a vehicle that at its heaviest weighs less than 2,500 pounds. This is then connected to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission.
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Efficiency
As you might guess from its compact engine, the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata is pretty economical with its fuel consumption. With the manual transmission, the MX-5 gets up to 26 mpg in the city, 33 mpg on the highway, and 29 mpg combined. This is boosted a small amount with the automatic transmission, though just in highway efficiency, where it makes a small jump up to 35 mpg.
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Interior
The interior of the Miata is pretty compact—a lot of reviews suggest that really tall drivers may find themselves uncomfortable behind the wheel. However, if you can fit comfortably into the roadster, the interior at the base trim contains both sport-driving-optimized seating and a strong array of entertainment features. Higher trim levels include several premium systems like automatic climate control, heated seats, and a nine-speaker Bose® sound system.
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport
- Air conditioning, Heater/defroster with multiple-speed fan, Power windows with driver and passenger one-touch-down feature, Glass rear window with defogger, Side window demisters, Mesh aero board wind blocker, Bucket seats with reclining and forward/back slide feature, Driver’s side seat tilt adjustment, Integrated headrests, Black cloth-trimmed seats, Black seat back bar trim, Leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Leather-wrapped parking brake handle, Steering wheel-mounted controls
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System, Push button ignition, Remote trunk lid release, 12-volt power outlet, AM/FM/CD audio system with six speakers including driver’s side headrest speakers, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming capability, Speed-sensing automatic volume control, 7-inch full color touchscreen, Multi-Function Commander Control, Infotainment system voice command, Radio Broadcast Data System program information, HD Radio™, Internet radio integration, SMS text message audio delivery and reply, E911 automatic emergency notification, Auxiliary-audio input jack, USB audio input
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club
- Heated seats with three heat settings, Black cloth-trimmed seats with red accent stitching, Piano Black seat back bar trim, Body-color upper door trim
- Bose® 9-speaker audio system with AudioPilot®, Driver and passenger headrest speakers and subwoofer, SiriusXM® satellite radio with 4-month subscription, Two USB audio inputs
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring
- Automatic climate control, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Leather-trimmed seats
- Mazda Navigation System
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Club
- Cruise control, Push-button ignition, Heater/defroster with multiple-speed fan, Leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel, Heated seats with three heat settings, Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Bose® nine-speaker audio system with AudioPilot®, MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming capability, SMS text message audio delivery and relay, Multi Function Commander control, Infotainment system voice command
Interior features available on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Grand Touring
- Leather-trimmed seats, Automatic climate control, Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®
- Mazda Navigation System
2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata Safety
The 2018 MX-5 comes with a normal array of safety systems as standard equipment, including front and side airbags, seat belts, and side-impact door beams. Higher trims add advanced systems from Mazda’s i-ACTIVSENSE safety suite, including Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Lane Departure Warning.
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Dual front airbags
- Side-impact airbags
- Side-impact door beams
- Three-point safety belts with pretensioners and force limiters
- Engine Immobilizer
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Standard Safety Features on the 2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
- Dual Front Airbags
- Side Impact Airbags
- Side-impact door beams
- Three-point seat belts with pretensioners and force limiters
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Engine Immobilizer
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring System
Even More Mazda: Who wants to see the CX-3 beat the Fiesta and the Fit?
Daniel Susco is a native of the Dayton-Cincinnati area, and has written on a multitude of subjects. He can discuss Shakespeare, expound on Classical Mythology, and even make witty jokes about Pliny the Elder (More like “Pliny the Rounder,” right?). In his free time, Daniel enjoys reading, cooking, woodworking, and long walks on the beach (just kidding – sunburn is no joke). See more articles by Daniel.