2018 Toyota Prius c Overview
The 2018 Toyota Prius c is the least expensive hybrid vehicle in Toyota’s considerable lineup. It is smaller and less powerful than its hybrid siblings but not lacking in character or attractive features, with many top-notch convenience and safety technologies offered as standard equipment regardless of trim level. The Prius c also gets nearly 50 mpg in the city, making it one of the most efficient vehicles in its class.
The 2018 Toyota Prius c is available in four trims: One, Two, Three, and Four.
Related: Top 10 reasons to buy a Toyota
What’s New for the 2018 Toyota Prius c?
The 2018 Toyota Prius c is unchanged for the new model year.
2018 Toyota Prius c Exterior
The 2018 Toyota Prius c is based off the Yaris subcompact and thus looks somewhat unlike the rest of Toyota’s hybrid offerings. Its smooth rounded nose and conventional side profile are at odds with the regular Prius; most people won’t be able to tell it is a hybrid at first glance. It even features a black-out rear spoiler and unique “boomerang” shape in the rear doors for a slightly sportier look. Only the familiar sweeping headlights with standard LEDs and distinctive taillights remind you that the Prius c is in fact part of the Prius family.
The 2018 Toyota Prius c is available in the following exterior colors: Tide Pool Pearl, Moonglow, Classic Silver Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, Absolutely Red, Tangerine Splash Pearl, Sandstorm, and Blue Streak Metallic.
2018 Toyota Prius c Exterior Photos:
Exterior available on One:
- Single-LED projector low- and high-beam headlights, Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with on/off feature, LED taillights and brake lights, Black roof rail accent, Front and rear lower silver-accented body guards, Black side rocker and wheel arch moldings, Power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, 15-inch 8-spoke machined alloy wheels with dark-gray painted accents, Color-keyed shark-fin antenna, Intermittent rear window wiper, Color-keyed rear spoiler
Exterior available on Two (adds to or replaces features on One):
- Same as One
Exterior available on Three (adds to or replaces features on Two):
- Smart Key System on front doors and liftgate with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry
Exterior available on Four (adds to or replaces features on Three):
- Heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, Power tilt/slid moonroof sliding sunshade, Integrated LED fog lights
2018 Toyota Prius c Performance
All 2018 Toyota Prius c models are powered by a 1.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine that makes 73 horsepower and 82 lb-ft of torque, which is paired with an electric motor that draws power from a compact 0.9-kWh nickel-metal hydrid battery underneath the rear seat to make 60 horsepower and 125 lb-ft of torque. That puts total system horsepower at 99, sent to the front wheels via an Electronically-controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECTV). There are three drive modes: Normal, Eco, and EV, with performance ranging from average to lethargic.
2018 Toyota Prius c Efficiency
The 2018 Toyota Prius c gets an EPA-estimated 48 mpg in the city, 43 mpg on the highway, and 46 mpg combined. In Eco mode, the Prius c automatically adjusts throttle response and climate control to maximize efficiency, while in EV mode the four-cylinder gasoline engine is completely cut off to let you drive for short periods of time on pure EV power at speeds below 25 mph. Compared to many similarly-sized and priced vehicles, the Prius c ranks among the most fuel-efficient.
2018 Toyota Prius c Interior
As the cheapest Prius available, Toyota would have had an excuse to keep the Prius c‘s interior as bare as possible, but the hybrid nonetheless features the regular Prius’s center-mounted gauges and multifunction steering wheel as well as comfortable and supportive seats up front. Two adults and three kids can fit in the back seats, which can be otherwise folded to almost double the 17.1 cubic foot cargo area. The materials aren’t top rate, but the technology is all there, including a 6.1-inch touchscreen display with Entune audio, a rearview camera, and Bluetooth® hands-free phone controls. Just as with the exterior styling, the 2018 Toyota Prius c‘s interior design is more conventional than we’d come to expect from the Prius family.
2018 Toyota Prius c Interior Photos:
Interior available on One:
- Features: Automatic climate control, Integrated backup camera, Fabric-trimmed seats with four-way adjustable driver’s and front passenger seat, Fold-down rear seat, Tilt/telescopic steering wheel with steering wheel controls, Digital instrumentation, Front seat map lights
- Radio and Technology: 6.1-inch touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, Four speakers, Auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod® connectivity and control, Advanced voice recognition, Hands-free phone capability, Phone book access and music, Bluetooth®wireless technology, Siri® Eyes Free, 3.5-inch TFT Multi-Information Display, Remote keyless entry system with illuminated entry, One front 12V auxiliary power outlet
Interior available on Two (adds to or replaces features on One):
- Features: Fabric-trimmed two-tone seats, Six-way adjustable driver’s seat,60/40 split fold-down rear seats, Cruise control, Soft-touch center console with armrest and storage compartment, Cargo area tonneau cover, Cargo area light
- Radio and Technology: Six speakers
Interior available on Three (adds to or replaces features on Two):
- Features: Same as Two
- Radio and Technology: Entune Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite, HD Radio™ Technology, HD Radio™, Predictive Traffic and Doppler Weather overlay, AM/FM cache radio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with 3-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, Gracenote® album cover art
Interior available on Four (adds to or replaces features on Three):
- Features: SofTex®-trimmed seats with heated front seats, SofTex®-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with steering wheel controls
- Radio and Technology: Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite, Integrated backup camera, 3.5-inch TFT multi-information display, Cruise control, One front 12V auxiliary power outlet
2018 Toyota Prius c Safety
The 2018 Toyota Prius c has received four stars for frontal crash and rollover crash safety by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Though the 2018 model has yet to be tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2017 model received the highest score of “Good” in its moderate overlap front, side, roof strength, and head restraint crashworthiness evaluations. Like all new Toyota models, it comes standard with a variant of the automaker’s Safety Sense suites of active safety technologies.
Standard Safety Features
- Star Safety System™ with Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop Technology®(SST)
- Toyota Safety Sense™C (TSS-C) with Pre-Collision System (PCS), Lane Departure Alert (LDA), and Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System
- Driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags, passenger seat cushion airbag, driver’s knee airbag, and front and rear curtain shield airbags
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS)
- ToyotaCare featuring a no cost maintenance plan with roadside assistance
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Engine immobilizer
Related: The best Toyota family cars