2019 Chevrolet Volt Overview
The 2019 Chevrolet Volt is the older sibling to the Chevy Bolt EV, with more room inside and a plug-in hybrid powertrain. This gives the Volt more usability in areas where charging is less available, letting you road trip without worrying about your remaining range. Through personal experience, we know that the Volt is a lovely, fun vehicle to drive, even around somewhere as charger-less as southern Ohio.
Don’t Do Halfway? Look at the fully electric Chevrolet Bolt EV
What’s New for the 2019 Chevrolet Volt?
Chevrolet actually made a number of updates to the Volt for the 2019 model year. So many, in fact, that it’s easier to just list them out below. Pay special attention to the new charging system, new drive modes and the new pedestrian alert noise system.
- New 7.2-kilowatt charging system that cuts charging times in half, standard on premier, optional on LT
- New option to adjust the Volt’s automatic engine-assisted heating system to activate at a much lower temperature
- Two new driving modes: Low and Regen on Demand
- New Energy App to help drivers maximize efficiency
- New six-way power driver’s seat, standard on Premier, optional on LT
- Newly updated pedestrian alert system with front and rear speakers
- Digital rearview camera to replace analog version
- New ability to choose between Adaptive Cruise Control and regular cruise control on models equipped with the system
- New tire fill alert, which honks the horn when the full tire pressure is achieved
- New cloth seat patterns
- New Power Convenience Package for the LT
- Relocated wireless charging pad ahead of the shifter for easier usability
- New Pacific Blue Metallic exterior color
- New Jet Black/Porcelain Blue interior color on Premier
- Available dealer-installed blackout package with sport pedals, back front and rear bowtie emblems and 17-inch machined-aluminum wheels with black-painted pockets
2019 Chevrolet Volt Photos:
2019 Chevrolet Volt Exterior
The exterior of the 2019 Volt continues with its sharp, aerodynamic design, though now emits a noise to make it more noticeable to pedestrians when it is moving around. Lighting comes from LEDs all the way around.
Personal preference for the best exterior color goes to the Pacific Blue Metallic, which is just a hair darker than the now-removed Kinetic Blue Metallic.
2019 Chevrolet Volt Exterior Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2019 Chevrolet Volt LT
- 17-inch five-spoke painted aluminum wheels, Body-color power outside mirrors, Front intermittent wipers, LED Daytime Running Lamps, LED headlamps, LED taillamps, LED center high-mounted stop/brake lamp, Low-rolling resistance 215/50R17 all-season blackwall tires, Tire inflator kit, Body-color shark fin antenna
Exterior features available on the 2019 Chevrolet Volt Premier
- 17-inch Ultra-Bright machined aluminum with painted pockets, Body-color heated power outside mirrors
2019 Chevrolet Volt Performance
The 2019 Volt uses an award-winning Voltec powertrain, combining a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine with two electric motors for a total of 149 horsepower and a surprising 294 lb-ft of torque. According to Car and Driver, that gives the Volt a 0-60 time of just 7.5 seconds.
2019 Chevrolet Volt Efficiency
The 2019 Volt gets an EPA-estimated 53 miles of electric range when it is fully charged. When the gas engine does turn on, though, it sips fuel, with 42 mpg in combined city and highway driving. Chevrolet estimates that most new owners, with regular charging, will go about 1,100 miles between fill-ups.
2019 Chevrolet Volt Interior
The Volt has seating for five passengers, although the fifth seat in the center of the rear seats has no leg room owing to the center console covering the battery. It is far more comfortable to only go up to four passengers.
As to cargo space, the Volt offers 10.6 cubic feet of volume in the trunk. You can expand the space by folding down the rear row of seats, thanks to the hatchback body style.
2019 Chevrolet Volt Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2019 Chevrolet Volt LT
- Electric parking brake, Six-way manual driver seat, Six-way manual front passenger seat, 60/40 split-folding rear bench seat, Cargo cover, Front and rear carpeted floor mats, Front bucket seats, Inside rearview manual day/night mirror, Ambient LED-based interior lighting, Manual tilt and telescoping steering column, Cloth seats, Single-zone automatic climate control, Vinyl shift knob, Vinyl steering wheel
- 120-volt portable charge cord, 3.6 kW onboard charger, Regen on Demand™ steering wheel paddle, Six-speaker audio system, 8-inch diagonal HD color touch-screen display, Auxiliary input jack, Built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi® hotspot, Chevrolet Connected Access with 10 years of standard connectivity, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Plus System, Cruise control, Drive Mode Selector, HD Rear Vision Camera, Keyless Open and Start, Location-based charging, OnStar® and Chevrolet Connected Services capable, Pedestrian Safety Signal, Two auxiliary 12V outlets, Programmable vehicle charging, Remote Keyless Entry, Remote Start, SiriusXM® Radio trial, Teen Driver, Two USB ports
Interior features available on the 2019 Chevrolet Volt Premier
- Six-way power driver seat, Automatic heated leather-wrapped steering wheel, Automatic heated driver and front passenger seats, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Driver and front passenger visors with illuminated mirrors, Heated rear outboard seats, Inside rearview auto-dimming mirror, Leather-appointed seating, Power driver seat lumbar control
- 7.2 kW onboard charger, Automatic Parking Assist, Bose® premium eight-speaker audio system
2019 Chevrolet Volt Safety
For 2019, the Chevy Volt comes with a normal spread of safety systems as standard equipment, including airbags, a rear vision camera, and stability/traction control. There is also a long list of available driver-assist and active safety systems, including automatic front braking, cross-traffic alert, and blind-zone warning.
The Chevrolet Volt in 2018 won top marks from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in each crash test, with a superior rating in front crash prevention and a Good rating for headlights. That made the Volt a 2018 IIHS Top Safety Pick. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s findings mirrored this rating, giving the Volt a full five out of five stars.
Standard Safety Features on the 2019 Chevrolet Volt
- StabiliTrak, electronic stability control system with traction control
- 10 airbags
- HD Rear Vision Camera
- LATCH System
- Pedestrian Safety Signal
- Teen Driver
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- OnStar® and Chevrolet Connected Services capable
- Three-point seat belts for all positions
Keep Rolling Longer: Make sure you know these tire basics to keep going farther