2019 Mazda CX-9 Overview
The Mazda CX-9 is the brand’s largest crossover, and in the past few years has gained the title of the brand’s flagship. It offers the most of Mazda’s crossover qualities, from its seven-passenger seating to its lavish and luxurious Signature trim.
Meet the Family: Explore the whole Mazda crossover lineup
What’s New for the 2019 Mazda CX-9?
For the 2019 CX-9, Mazda is continuing its favorite past time of small price bumps to accompany a number of new features and architecture tweaks. The starting price jumped $150, which at the top end translates to an increase of about $1,000.
This comes with newly standard Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ in all but the base trim, a thicker headliner and floor mats, a slightly tweaked suspension, plus a few more new features spread across the trim levels, including a frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror in the Touring trim and ventilated seats in the Grand Touring model, among others.
2019 Mazda CX-9 Photos:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Exterior
The 2019 Mazda CX-9 is the largest of the brand’s crossovers, using its KODO: Soul of Motion design language. Its looks and exterior features are mostly unchanged from the previous year, save for power-folding mirrors on Grand Touring models and new badging for the Signature trim.
2019 Mazda CX-9 Exterior Photos:
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- LED Headlights with auto off and auto height control, LED Daytime Running Lights, LED Combination taillights, Variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Intermittent rear wiper/washer, Black lower body molding, Body-color power side mirrors with integrated LED turn signals, Rear privacy glass, Dual exhaust outlets, Body-color rear roof spoiler, 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- High Beam Control, Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers, Heated side mirrors, Power Rear Liftgate with programmable height adjustment
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- LED Fog Lights, Adaptive Front Lighting System, Windshield wiper de-icer, Chrome lower body molding, Automatic power folding side mirrors, Heated side mirrors, Aluminum roof rails in satin chrome finish, 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Exterior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- LED Grille accent lighting, Automatic power folding side mirrors, Signature badge
2019 Mazda CX-9 Performance
Each CX-9 gets its power from a 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. When filled with regular gasoline, it produces 227 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque, but filling it with premium 93-octane boosts that power up to 250 horsepower. This comes with a six-speed automatic transmission and either front-wheel drive or Mazda’s i-ACTIV AWD®.
2019 Mazda CX-9 Efficiency
When the 2019 CX-9 uses front-wheel drive, it delivers 22 mpg in the city, 28 mpg on the highway, and 24 mpg combined. With all-wheel drive, this dips slightly to 20 mpg in the city, 26 mpg on the highway, and 23 mpg combined.
2019 Mazda CX-9 Interior
The CX-9 is Mazda’s crossover flagship. This first means that it is the largest in the fleet, with seating for up to seven passengers. Then, it means that the interior of the CX-9 features the best that the brand has to offer.
At the base, this means some premium features like a triple-zone automatic climate control system and leather wrapping for the steering wheel and shift knob. At higher trims, standard features become increasingly luxurious, until you reach the Signature trim, which includes such touches as genuine Santos Rosewood inlays, heated and ventilated Napa leather seats, and a heated steering wheel.
2019 Mazda CX-9 Interior Photos:
Interior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Sport
- Three-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter, Front door courtesy lights, Six-way manual adjusted driver’s seat, Four-way manual front passenger seat, 60/40 split fold-down and reclining second-row seats with tilt and slide third-row access, 50/50 split fold-down third-row seats, Cloth-trimmed seating, Leather-wrapped steering wheel, Leather-wrapped shift knob, Carpeted floor mats
- Remote keyless illuminated entry system with “answer back” feature, Push Button Start, Two 12-volt power outlets, Front center console armrest with storage and two USB inputs, 7-inch full-color touch-screen display, AM/FM/HD Radio™ audio system with automatic level control and six speakers, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming capability, MAZDA CONNECT™ Infotainment System, Auxiliary audio input jack, Steering wheel-mounted controls, Rearview Camera, Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Smart City Brake Support
Interior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Touring
- Frameless auto dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®, Power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, Power front passenger seat, Heated front seats, Leather-trimmed seats
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System, 8-inch full-color touch-screen display, Apple CarPlay™ integration, Android Auto™ integration, Four USB inputs (two front and two rear), Lane-keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Advanced Smart City Brake Support with pedestrian detection
Interior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade, LED accent lighting, Aluminum interior trim, Second-row retractable window sunshades, Power driver’s seat with power lumbar support and two-position memory, Ventilated front seats, Heated second-row seats, Heated steering wheel
- Bose® Centerpoint® 2 Surround Sound System with AudioPilot® and 12 speakers, HD Radio™, Mazda Navigation System, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio with three-month trial subscription to the Sirius All Access package, SiriusXM® Traffic and Travel Link® Services, Active Driving Display with Traffic Sign Recognition, 360-degree View Monitor, Front and rear parking sensors
Interior features available on the 2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature
- Genuine Santos Rosewood inlays, Napa leather-trimmed seats, Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
2019 Mazda CX-9 Safety
The 2018 CX-9 was an IIHS Top Safety Pick, with good ratings in every crash test and superior crash prevention. It did miss out on the Pick+ distinction, though, due to its headlights — the IIHS rated them as Acceptable. The NHTSA seems to second the IIHS’s opinion, as it gave the 2018 CX-9 a five-star rating in both front-wheel and all-wheel drive models.
Standard Safety Features on the 2019 Mazda CX-9
- Advanced front air bags with seat belt-use, passenger-weight sensors
- Front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains with rollover protection
- Anti-lock Brake System with Electronic Brake force Distribution & Brake Assist
- Dynamic Stability Control with Traction Control System and Trailer Stability Assist
- Rearview Camera
- Hill Launch Assist
- Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Smart City Brake Support
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- LATCH second-row seat child safety seat anchors & upper tether anchors
Measuring Up: How does the CX-9 fare up against the Acura MDX?